T2000 Gone Wild

(please delete if double post, was adding additional photo and seem to have deleted entire post.)

First, thank you for all your patience and the great info you put out here for everyone. We’ve been with ADC (through ASG, now Protection1/ADT) for nearly six years, and just discovered SuretyDIY this summer searching for a thermostat that would work with our newly installed Dual-Fuel HVAC system. In my experience, you (Jason and Warren) have more knowledge (or are either just more willing to listen and share it) than the entire staff of ADC/P1/ADT combined.

When we upgraded from our old heat pump-only system, we spent hours getting P1 to finally understand that we needed a new duel-fuel compatible thermostat - only to set up a home tech appointment and upon further questioning realize they were sending an installer with the exact same (CT100?) thermostat we already had. Finally, thanks to your info I ordered the ADC-T2000, and installed it myself - guilting a P1 phone rep into conferencing me in with ADC one evening so they could configure the hidden advanced settings in real time.

This (along with hours spent with them installing a lamp-control module) prompted me to ask about their DIY plan. I was told it was only made available to their ADT customers who were in residential rental properties. So, I’m definitely coming your way once my contract is up.

Anyway, that was all in the summer and the T2000 has been controlling our AC fine - save some apparent low-signal cellular communication issues that delayed temp updates, etc. Then in mid-Oct it suddenly started behaving badly. I will mention here that we are in NC and this came after we lost power for a few hours from the hurricane, but we had no other problems so not sure that would have any affect. It also came around the same time we started using the heat.

Finally, here are the issues:

1. AC cooling for long periods of time to well below the target temp setpoint. I understand swing, delay, etc., and this was not that - definitely new/bad behavior.
  2. AC comes on randomly - for example when the room temp is 72 and the target cool temp is 74. I will then often have to raise target temp several degrees (e.g., up to 76) to get the T2000 to “click” off.
  3. In heat mode, we have the balance point set to 35-degrees, but the T2000 is very often running the gas furnace (aux/emergency) - even on a 60-degree day with only a 1-degree difference in room and target temps. I believe it sometimes starts out in AUX, but more often the heat pump seems to run for a few minutes before AUX takes over.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that our equipment manufacturers and installers know less than I do about smart thermostats - especially the T2000, so hoping something here will be familiar, and you can help us solve this or at least offer best next steps. I’ll add as much info below as possible, just let me know what else you may need. No expert here, so feel free to correct me if anything seems off. Thank you again so much for your time, patience and knowledge.

• ADC-T2000 - not sure how to find firmware info?
  • Panel 2GIG GoControl - V1.13 Build 12084
  • Network - 3G Verizon (CDMA)
  • Zwave 2GIG 2.78
  • Duel-Fuel System Models: (heat pump PH14NB; Evap Coil CNPVP; Gas Furnace PG92S)
  • Have also tested that the current room temp displayed on the T2000 does seem to be accurate.
  • Also confirmed at one point - at least via the weather card on my ADC app (though that feature seems to have disappeared now???) - that the current outdoor temp info being pulled in (and also used for balance setpoint?) was for our local zip code.

Thank you for the kind words. We are always happy to help! When you are looking to make a switch, this page goes over everything you might need to get started.

Looking at the wiring, is there a reason that W has been skipped and the white wire was connected to W2? You shouldn’t have a W2 wire if you do not have a W. W should be used instead. This may account for heating issues.

I’m a little confused on the issues with cooling though. The tstat should never call for cool if it is below the cool set point. Doing so indicates a malfunction or wiring issue.

Is the Tstat set on auto mode? If so, what is the heat set point and what is the cool set point?

If you were affected by storms and the Tstat malfunctions for cool mode started occurring then, it very possibly was damaged due to power surge.

The best way to go about this to rule things out would be to delete, reset, and re-install. The Alarm.com user site will walk through the T2000 setup after it is installed and relearned into your panel. You can then select the Heat Pump type and based on your wiring it will suggest the correct settings.

To reset:

Put the Tstat in Off mode. When the thermostat is in Off mode, no symbols are lit below the temperature display.
Once in Off mode, press and hold Up on the Smart Thermostat until a version displays. The version number does not matter for this process.
Once the version displays, press and hold Down on the Smart Thermostat until RST displays on the thermostat.
When RST clears from the thermostat display, the thermostat is reset to factory default configurations.

Thank you for the speedy reply, Warren! And for the info on switching over. Definitely can’t wait to have more control over all this.

Great catch on the W vs. W2 wire. I thought for sure we may be onto something until I removed the T2000 tonight and realized that at some point I had swapped that already. I took these pics while replacing the Honeywell our HVAC installer had temporarily wired for the new system, and it that was several months back, but I’m guessing I must have then corrected the W/W2 wiring during the T2000 setup prompts.

I’m with you on the cooling confusion. Makes no sense. Came in again tonight to a house at 70 degrees, the thermostat set to 74, and had to push it all the way up to 80 before it “clicked” off. Haven’t been using AUTO mode yet because I didn’t want to throw in another variable, so all this is happening on HEAT or COOL settings.

Do you think the RESET has a real chance of working or is it more likely that this one was damaged because of power loss - which still seems a little strange to me. I only ask because stuck as a P1/ADT customer, the configuration will be a pain to coordinate with them and ADC again, so wondering if it’s just better to try a new T2000 if going through all these steps anyway.
Also meant to mention before I read somewhere that if the 2GIG panel doesn’t have the latest firmware, it can also cause issues with tstat behavior. Any truth to this? And if so, do you know if it’s possible to push P1/ADT to update my firmware?

By the way, also have a request for input with Payne in case any of this may be equipment-only issues, but they are sadly not as responsive.

Thank you again!

Do you think the RESET has a real chance of working or is it more likely that this one was damaged because of power loss – which still seems a little strange to me. I only ask because stuck as a P1/ADT customer, the configuration will be a pain to coordinate with them and ADC again, so wondering if it’s just better to try a new T2000 if going through all these steps anyway.

We could not say for certain, but it would be the best step to take in this case for troubleshooting.

Per above, the basic configuration to set up your thermostat properly is all available through the user website after adding a thermostat to your account. ADC has a thermostat setup wizard for the ADC-T2000 which will ask for your current wiring and fuel type to configure the device the way you need it to make it functional.

If you also tweaked other granular settings, those would still need to be requested through the provider if you do not have access to the advanced and installer tabs, however they are not necessary to configure it as a heat-pump, the number of stages, the fuel source, etc., which is all covered in the wizard. I don’t think there would be any reason that wizard wouldn’t be available to any ADC account regardless of dealer.

Also meant to mention before I read somewhere that if the 2GIG panel doesn’t have the latest firmware, it can also cause issues with tstat behavior. Any truth to this? And if so, do you know if it’s possible to push P1/ADT to update my firmware?

It is always good to keep firmware updated on your panel, but for the T2000 we would not expect to require newer firmware to function properly, and while there can always be an unanticipated result on older firmware due to new device features/changes, it is far more likely a device fault.

Just in case there is something amiss, if you wouldn’t mind, could you post a new photo of what the wiring looks like at this moment for the ADC-T2000?

Thank you, Jason, and please forgive my delayed response. Went out of town and still playing catchup. I’ll attach current wiring pic.

No problem on the tstat reset / using the wizard to add back, which I did for initial install. The big frustration during that process was finally convincing P1/ADT (whose rep honesty also had no access to the advanced tabs) to get ADC on a conference call to enable balance point for the AUX gas furnace, etc. Will hopefully find some time to do all that again this week.

In the meantime, we did have another bizarre event. Would not even mention if it didn’t involve a new element of surprise. Came home late one night and had left the thermostat on COOL 76 from earlier in the day. However, we walk in to find the AUX heat blasting. Now the outside temps had dropped significantly and the room temp was down to 73, but no idea how or why the AUX heat would/could kick in with this thermostat still showing to be set at COOL 76.

Which reminds me of a few more questions on/off-subject. As you can see from that previous thermostat wiring pic, it utilized the hardwired outdoor sensor to control AUX heat at a certain low temp. Wondering how reliable the TDC-2000 (once working correctly) will be with this. For example, how often does it pull in current local weather data from the 2GIG panel?

Speaking of that, any idea why the weather card would randomly go missing from my phone’s ADC app home screen, then return a day later? No app updates during this period.

Finally, considering the 2GIG panel’s firmware should not have much to do with this type of bizarre thermostat behavior, I’m assuming this answer would be no as well, but could a bad cell card cause any of this? Only ask because we had a longer power failure back in August, which caused all kinds of issues that seemed mostly corrected after PD1/ADT walked me through removing cell card, resetting panel, etc. However, at that time we continued to have some cell phone communication test failures that day, and we were told we likely needed a new cell card. Murphy’s Law, we were headed on vacation and PD1/ADT could not get someone out for a week, so we put it on back burner, but have not noticed any issues with it since we returned.

OK, think that’s all I need to bother you with for now. Thank you again!

From the image, one thing I would be sure of is to check the sheathing on all of your wires as you might be seeing shorts causing the wrong wires to be energized.

Other than that, that would be either non-standard/incorrect wiring, or damaged tstat.

If you were affected by storms and the Tstat malfunctions started occurring then, based on your description it was likely damaged due to the storms.

Unless wiring is reversed or the Tstat is damaged, it should not act as you describe.

As you can see from that previous thermostat wiring pic, it utilized the hardwired outdoor sensor to control AUX heat at a certain low temp. Wondering how reliable the TDC-2000 (once working correctly) will be with this. For example, how often does it pull in current local weather data from the 2GIG panel?

I’m not sure what you are referring to here.

There is no compatible outdoor probe which would be utilized with Alarm.com. ADC uses forecast temps for the Extreme temperature override rules, not current.

What outdoor sensor are you referring to? A hardwired sensor would be independent of the thermostat or just wired inline with one of the circuits.

Speaking of that, any idea why the weather card would randomly go missing from my phone’s ADC app home screen, then return a day later? No app updates during this period.

We couldn’t provide any details regarding a different provider’s service features unfortunately. You would need to check with your provider on this question.