Repeater: Lost Connection

I recently put in an exterior building in the rear of my yard. I purchased a Yale touch screen lock to secure the door. I tested it during initial construction and it worked as expected. Now that it is completed it is not receiving a signal and shows up as a lost device. It is roughly 100 feet from my panel.

I just added an Aeon Labs repeater to help boost the Zwave signal. I removed the lock from my system, added the repeater, added the lock and rediscovered my network. Tested the lock and it worked multiple times. Thought the issue was resolved…

After a little over an hour, I tested it again and the commands time out. The lock has roughly 40 feet between it and the repeater with one exterior wall in the path.

Any ideas on how I can make this setup work consistently?

After a little over an hour, I tested it again and the commands time out. The lock has roughly 40 feet between it and the repeater with one exterior wall in the path.

Any ideas on how I can make this setup work consistently?

Just to be sure before any other testing, did you add the lock within a few feet of the panel? This absolutely must be done to ensure full sync. You can either bring the lock to the panel or vice-versa. Even if it looks like a pair was successful when done further away, it will cause problems down the line, sometimes quickly.

100 feet is too far for a Z-wave signal between panel and lock, though with a repeater at 40 feet you may be able to use it, it would depend on the rest of the network. Keep in mind Z-wave is a mesh network, so the more repeating devices staggered between, the better. (A single signal will make up to 5 jumps between devices)

I typically recommend no further than 25 feet between a lock and its nearest node. Also is the building or door metal? Keep in mind the Z-wave radio is in the interior portion of the lock, not in the keypad.

Jason,

Thank you for the quick follow up. Yes, I did realize on my testing it did not sync correctly when I originally tried to add it in close proximity to the repeater. I removed it and added it within 4 feet of the panel. Once synced and added correctly, I moved it next to the repeater and rediscovered the network. Tested it, then moved it to its location outside and tested it again before installing it.

The structure is framing with a single sheet of plywood siding so there isn’t much thickness. It is installed on a wood door with a large piece of glass in the door.

The only other devices between my panel and the repeater would be my window sensors and an external plug (GE Outdoor Plug in Smart Switch)

I removed it and added it within 4 feet of the panel. Once synced and added correctly, I moved it next to the repeater and rediscovered the network. Tested it, then moved it to its location outside and tested it again before installing it.

A network rediscovery must be performed with devices in their permanent locations. If other nodes can communicate with the lock when it is closer, then cannot when you move it away, you would have routes that cannot function during normal use.

Be sure to run a Network Rediscovery with the lock installed. Any luck?

About 4p this afternoon I was alerted that it was back online. When I got home I ran a network rediscovery and it is now showing up as a failed device. I tried this a couple times and same results.

Unfortunately you are likely stretching the capability of the Z-wave range. With only one or two repeating devices over 100 feet of distance it is difficult to maintain signal. You may be able to stagger a couple repeaters at a distance which helps the signal, but it would be trial and error.

A good rule I would try to follow is to keep a max of 25 feet between Z-wave nodes. For AC powered switches you can stretch it a bit further, but for battery operated devices operating in power save mode range is more limited.

Also, is the exterior building climate controlled in any way? A Z-wave lock’s internal component (the inside facing thumb-turn portion) is not rated for outdoor use typically.

Thank you for your help, Jason. Looks like I will be disconnecting it from the network. I still like the functionality of going in and out without needing a key so it still serves a purpose.

Before I purchased the repeater I did purchase some switches with the intention of using them as repeaters. The wiring was complex in the existing boxes and I was unsure of proper neutral wires so I put that project on delay. Maybe once I update these at some point it will improve the network and the lock can function as originally intended.

The structure is not temperature regulated. It sits between two large trees and is well shaded so overheating is not much of an issue. It is sealed and protected by a front porch so water is not an issue either. If freezing is a concern at low temperatures, I can remove the internal escutcheon of the lock and store inside during the winter since the mounting plate holds the exterior part in place. It will rarely be accessed during cold months so using a key is not an issue.