Qolsys 16-F Hardwire does not work after memory reset

I am a new customer and have the Qolsys Panel 2+ I have followed the directions for the 16-F to take over my hardwired system. The first time I start the 16-F, the zones with wires are blinking (the ones without are solid). I am able to register the device and every one of my zones correctly. However, after registration, any time a zone opened it showed as open, then when closed it showed as tampered. So, I decided to start over.

As such, I reset the memory by holding the button down for 3 seconds while reapplying power. Additionally, before doing this I removed the device registration from the panel. The 3 lights on the board blink rapidly. After resetting the memory, I’m now able to register the 16-F device by tripping the tamper again, but it does not do anything when I open and close a hardwired sensor zone. In addition, none of the zone LED’s are lit any more. All of the LED’s light for every zone when I put it in EOL; however, they go off after that and they don’t react to an open/close event. I have followed the instructions to the tee every time. It seems like the Memory Reset is causing the device to work differently than the first time I turn it on.

Hmm, have you tried just wiring a resistor between the inputs for one of the zones and then just pull the resistor when in EOL Learn mode to see if it registers? This would bypass any possible issues with wiring or sensors.

If the Hardwire 16F is not responding to inputs at all, have you tried another memory reset? If not, please try another memory reset now. There may have been a malfunction during that process the first time. Does this change how it behaves?

If neither of the above work, I would suggest swapping out that Hardwire 16F.

For any device purchased through Surety you can find our policy here. For other vendors, please be sure to contact the vendor for warranty details.

Neither of those worked. I’ve had this happen to 2 16F’s already. I’m ordering one more from you guys to see if I can get it to work. One thing - I’m using the existing resistors which are 2k Ohms. Have you guys had any problems with such a low resistor, or would you suggest moving to the 4.7k Ohms delivered with the 16F?

If this has happened on two different 16Fs then there is a different issue at play. That’s a good point to bring up regarding resistance, and I hadn’t caught this on the new model yet, apologies. It looks like the manual specifically labels all zones with 4.7 kohm resistors rather than a range now. This is almost certainly the issue.

It looks like the new hardwire 16F avoids some of the issues caused by the resistance mapping on the 16 and 16S. You would just want to replace the existing resistors with the 4.7 kohm resistors included. This should allow the Hardwire 16F to register those zones’ activity correctly.