Periodic Signalling issue 2GIG

Cell/remote connection offline since 11:20pm ET 2/21. No change in location, equipment, antenna. This happens periodically (and inexplicably) and is not solved by any local action I take - seems to be cell tower. See precious tickets. Can you advise as to current status?

am watching “radio status” move from 0 to 6 to 8 to 11, etc, then back to zero. Seems something is afoot…

Local area network map suggests cellular tower in the area is fine. It looks like this related to this thread here and is an ongoing issue. Generally speaking the signalling on the account is a bit low however today appears to be an outlier.

It also appears that you are utilizing an older firmware version. An upgrade is suggested as later versions address command processing. Does this fix your issue?

Yes, same periodic issue, no change in
local equipment. Outside of FW upgrade, which I will try this weekend, what are your suggestions to resolve? Do you suggest a better antenna? Why would the cell connection fluctuate occassionally so widely?

If firmware does not provide any resolution, it may be the module itself failing. The physical connection or soldering/circuitry may be loose on it or the antenna.

Note that CDMA sunset is approaching in a couple years so a new module will be needed to future-proof the system. It may be best to upgrade to 1.19 firmware and update to an LTE module. You could try a different antenna or try moving the panel temporarily to see if there is any signal improvement in other locations, but swapping the module may be the best option.

“Swapping the module” doesn’t address explain the exact same periodic behavior I’ve experienced over the several years I’ve had this unit, so little confused by that advice. If it’s failing, it’s doing it on a geologic time clock… oh. So. Slowly. with long stretches (months) without issue and great connectivity with multiple daily uses.

Same question from previous tickets: can’t you (or the cell provider) see signal map/strength/degradation?

I literally watched the signal go from 0 to 8 to 13 and back over the course of an hour.

Same question from previous tickets: can’t you (or the cell provider) see signal map/strength/degradation?

We can see a signal map, with other Alarm.com users in the vicinity and the signal registered on the systems. There are no general issues in the area and we do not see similar activity on other systems.

A network map can only provide so much detail, as local construction and panel placement can have a large effect on signaling and a network coverage map cannot account for such things, nor can it provide an alternative reason why a single unit might be failing to connect or experiencing signaling variation.

As CDMA approaches the full sunset, signaling is likely to see a small decline.

Overall the signaling on this module over the past 6 months has actually been poor, with single digit values and high registration times common. Even when the signal strength hits acceptable levels, high registration times still exist, suggesting a poor connection. The panel doesn’t need a great connection to signal out or receive commands as the data being transferred is small and simple, but inbound commands will be the first to see an impact typically from intermittent signaling issues.

Typically we have suggested a minimum signal strength of 11 should be expected for quality signaling on a 2GIG module. Over the last 6 months about half of the signal reports are under that level.

Whether hardware or interference, it would likely be best to swap the module now to an LTE as this can resolve current and future problems.

Ok, will giv it s shot. This the one?

Thx,
.//A.

::bump::

Is this the right module?

LMK,
.//A.

Yes, that’s the one. Note the LTE Module will require 1.19 panel firmware. You can download 1.19 firmware here.

Thanks, will do the update before installing. I’m about to order the LTE module from you guys, do you also have the extended antenna? (2GIG-ANT5XL-GC2) Doesn’t show on your store site.

Best,
.//A.

We do not sell that item in the store yet as it has been on back-order with distribution for a while now, but for Surety users if you need one we may be able to assist as we had a limited quantity. Reach out to customerservice@suretyhome.com to request the ANT5XL, they can provide instruction and create an order for you if units are available.

There are two antenna used with the LTE module, but only one is replaced with the ANT5XL, so only one ANT5XL is needed.

Great, received new LTE card and extended antenna (from another vendor). Updating FW, then installing new card. Anything I need to do to register the new card? Does the service pick it up itself? Didn’t see any instructions regarding registering the new card apologies if I missed it.

.//A.

:bump:
Still waiting on info on how to register new LTE card. On phone with Alarm.com now, they told me to go to surety.com/forum… ???‍♂️

Pls advise.

Hi @anthonyris, we normally do those on weekdays during business hours but we’re working toward adding more weekend coverage. If you send your new module serial # in a secure message I can get you set up today.

https://suretyhome.com/secure-message/

After I do it you’ll need to run a cell phone test from your panel.

Excellent, all completed and panel/system back on the grid with new LTE card (stock antennas giving me 20-24 signal, so not bothering with extended antenna).

Now just have to replace one of my firmware-fried TS1s… ???‍♂️

Appreciate the quick turnaround.

Signal strength is currently still showing a solid 20 this morning with extremely low registration time, which is definitely an improvement over the CDMA!