Need help installing GE12722 with Qolsys IQ PAnel

Hi all

I am having issues…

I bought the GE12722 smart switch and have installed it. The wiring for the switch I’m replacing only had a red and blue wire.

I hooked both the red and blue wire into the LOAD terminal and the light turns on (when I press the off switch, nothing happens… I cannot seem to get the light to turn off).

I thought maybe I need to pair it for the on/off functionality to work, but I’m not sure how to get this to pair. I go into my Qolsys panel and hit add device (pair) it starts searching, then I go and press the up button on the lightswitch but it’s not learning it.

Can anyone advise?

The switch should turn off when pressed (regarldess of smart outlet or not) right?

I had a buddy who’s an electrician come over and help…

What we can gather is that the GE 3 way switches I bought requiure a neutral. My home is older (built in 1964) and only has a red and blue wire (red is hot). It looks like the z-wave outlet needs to be powered (from the neutral??).

Anyone have any ideas if there are any Z-Wave light switches that can work with an older home?

The lights this is for are for 2 outdoor lights and 1 indoor lights.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

RR

I know Leviton has a model or two intended for this situation. This model is for use without a neutral, but keep in mind they will only support an Incandescent load.

I assume it was looked for, but quite often there will be a bundle of neutral wires behind the switch in the gang box. If you definitely do not have access, the above Leviton model should work, but we cannot guarantee compatibility with the panel. (I believe these work fine with the 2GIG panel though)

It’s 1964 construction, unfortunately it’s all metal boxes (no romex SP??).

Is this the right model? R03-DZS15-1BZ It states it works with LED which you said no go.

Can you share the model number to try.

Thanks,
RR

I think I found the right one…

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRS05-1LZ&section=44141

DAMN… these cost $80…

why so much more expensive?

And… do you know why they can’t work with LED bulbs? There is no way to get a LED to work without the neutral wires?

Thanks,
RR

The link in the response above is to a dimmer model that would work without a neutral wire. VRI06-1LZ.

The VRS05-1LZ that you linked should work for you as well, but it is also rated only for incandescent loads. I would guess this limitation is due to the lack of a neutral (and/or the minimum wattage requirement.) These details can be found on the data sheet download on the page you linked.

So if i bought the VRS05-1LZ, there is a CHANCE an LED bulb might work? Or 100% it wouldn’t?

I ask because I currently have LED bulbs in the light fixture and they’re working (With no neutral wire).

Thanks,
RR

I could not recommend using a bulb against the recommendation of the manufacturer.

fair enough.

Any idea why these are around 80$ per vs. the ones with neutral being only around 30$ per?

Are there other options (without Neutral) in the 30-40 price range?

Any idea why these are around 80$ per vs. the ones with neutral being only around 30$ per?

We do not sell these devices and could not speak to other retailers’ pricing.

I’m not aware of other models without a neutral requirement.