GC3 firmware error

Hello,

The other day, I heard my panel reboot and noticed that I received an error message related to a firmware update. See attachment.

I am currently on 3.2.1, which I assume is the latest version, and I didn’t initiate a firmware update and I assume this was some kind of OTA update.

Not sure what happened and if I need to take any action.

Thanks!

That is correct, 3.2.1 is the most recent firmware version for the GC3. Thank you for uploading the image of the error message. I have reached out to Alarm.com to find out more information on this issue. I will follow up here with more information as soon as possible.

It looks as though the update may be in reference to the branding logo on the panel. To confirm, from the home screen in the top right corner, does the panel show the 2GIG logo or the Surety logo?

It is showing the 2GIG logo…

That sounds like that would be the issue then. It looks like ADC automated a logo update which did not successful save at your panel. There was nothing else in the update, so it is not crucial for any reason.

The failure was likely due to the relatively low signal strength your panel is currently showing. For the past month or so it looks like your panel has gone from a steady two bars of signal to one. Have you moved the panel at all? Anything added to the home near the panel?

You might just be seeing lower signaling due to the carrier reducing 3G resources, but it would be best to check for common issues with antenna and placement first.

Thanks for finding out the cause of the error.

The panel(s) has been at the same location for 6 years but there is a major 2-week sport tournament happening where I live and the carriers have placed temporary mobile cell-towers around here; I guess that is why my signal dropped…
Also, shouldn’t an OTA update also work over broadband.

I believe an LTE radio is available for my panel but it seems like Surety doesn’t sell 2gig gear anymore…

I am having a similar problem with my 2Gig GC3 panel/system… it appears that there was some update to the panel but I know it’s not the latest firmware (currently 3.0.0) as I reached out to Surety tech support today because my lock, thermostat and z-wave light controls were all not working. Apparently, my panel was set back to factory settings too as my codes for even disarming the panel were not working. I believe I used to have the 2Gig logo at the top but now I have the Surety logo? How do I get my system back up and fully functional?

Thank you,
-Daniel Weiner

Also, shouldn’t an OTA update also work over broadband.

I believe an LTE radio is available for my panel but it seems like Surety doesn’t sell 2gig gear anymore…

Most updates are sent via broadband if available, but not all. I’m not sure if the logo update was only sent via cellular as it was initiated by ADC, but it is likely.

We do still sell LTE radios, sensors, and peripherals. We do not stock or advertise the panels at this time due to focus on the IQ Panel 2+. Here is a link to the LTE cell sled for the GC3.

Apparently, my panel was set back to factory settings too as my codes for even disarming the panel were not working. I believe I used to have the 2Gig logo at the top but now I have the Surety logo? How do I get my system back up and fully functional?

I’m sorry to hear this! I recall a couple times where we’ve noticed a reboot bug appeared to result in factory defaulting 3.0.0 panels. Note that 3.0.0 is not only not the latest, it is actually the oldest firmware, included with panels at launch. There are a number of versions since then which improve stability. I would recommend upgrading to 3.0.2, then to 3.1.3. The GC3 firmware is upgraded via a USB stick.

There was a backup of your panel and sensors from 5/2019, but it strangely looks like there were no sensors reported by the panel at that time in the backup. It looks like you definitely had sensors installed, so there might be more of a problem with the panel/firmware going on.

In this case, since there are no sensors reported by the panel in the backup, the sensors would need to be relearned one by one. Any motion detectors should be relearned first because otherwise they might interfere with trying to trip other sensor ids. Learning them first prevents this.

Common sensor programming templates for the GC3 are found here. If you provide a list of sensor models you have I can post a specific set of programming instructions.

Z-wave devices like locks, lights, and thermostats would need to still be removed, as the factory default would clear them from the panel but their own saved network link would still be there. You would just use “Remove Device” on the GC3 first, trigger the Z-wave device, the panel will indicate a device was cleared, then you can use Add device to include that Z-wave device to the GC3 panel.

Will you be carrying the GC3e; I assume this comes with an LTE radio, might be an alternative to swapping out the radio in the GC3…

Thanks,

D-

Will you be carrying the GC3e; I assume this comes with an LTE radio, might be an alternative to swapping out the radio in the GC3…

I’m not aware of any ETA on selling the GC3e at this time. Note that 2GIG panels do not come with modules built in. The cell communicators are modular and shipped separately.

If any panel is sold with a module explicitly included, that would be the vendor packaging those items together. Typically you would still need the LTE module separately.

The LTE module can be swapped from one GC3 panel to the GC3e.