Alarm.com ISC West News

As ISC West is in full swing, we here at suretyDIY are very excited and have been paying close attention to the products and features being announced. While much of the information thus far is just a teaser, we feel that many of you would be interested as well. Without further ado here are some of the announcements from alarm.com:

-New Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera Coming Soon and Other Video Updates

Alarm.com is proud to launch our new Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera Skybell HD Edition! With this new camera, you will be able to see, hear and speak to visitors from your Alarm.com mobile app. Fully-integrated with Alarm.com, the doorbell camera offers the added convenience of automated lighting rules, lock control and system-triggered recorded clips.

-Provide Voice-Activated Smart Home Security with Amazon Echo

With Alarm.com's Alexa Skill, found in the Alexa app, you can ask your Alarm.com powered system to perform a number of automation commands or check the status of smart home devices. Simply tell Alexa to perform any of the following:
  • Turn on the living room lights
  • <li>Lock the front door</li>

<li>Turn down the thermostat</li>

<li>Close the garage door</li>

<li>Arm Stay the security system</li>

<li>Record a video clip</li>

<li>Point a pan-tilt camera at a preset location</li>

You can also ask Alexa any of the following:
  • Are all the doors locked?
  • <li>What's the temperature in here?</li>

<li>Is my security system armed or disarmed?</li>

<li>Is my garage door open?</li>

-Feature Updates for the Alarm.com Smart Thermostat Coming Soon:

Local Configuration

The new local configuration feature will let you setup the thermostat quickly without needing to log in. In addition, it will allow you to install the Smart Thermostat even before it's connected to an Alarm.com account.

Always-On Display (temperature and mode)

With this new firmware upgrade, when the Smart Thermostat is installed, you now have the option to keep thermostat's temperature display constantly lit. By installing the thermostat using the C wire, the thermostat can pull power from the HVAC rather than the battery supply to keep the display showing. Always-on display can be enabled via the Alarm.com website

Heat Pump Balance Point

The Smart Thermostat will soon be able to monitor current indoor and outdoor temperature as well as the Balance Point temperature, and alternate the heat source (heat pump versus auxiliary heat) to optimize savings without sacrificing comfort.

-Limit Login Access by Partition

Using Limited Device Access, you can now set up logins with restricted partition or lock access. Letting you easily control and manage who is allowed to access specific areas of your home or business through the mobile app or website.

Simply visit the Profile > Manage Logins page and select Edit Login and choose the Limited Device Access role.

This a what we have gotten word of thus far. Stay tuned for more information!

Hi Tyler,

Definitely excited about the Skybell! I am a little unclear - will it allow video clips to be recorded? And if so, recorded to local media? Or will it record to the cloud? Lastly, if cloud-based, will it be a part of the ADC monitoring cost, or additional cost? Thank you!!

Jason found this info from ADC today:

• Will require Alarm.com Cloud Video
<li>Counts as a Camera toward your total</li>

<li>Clips count toward total monthly clips</li>

<li>Requires the Skybell HD Edition, and may not have a separate ADC firmware requirement</li>

<li>Two Way Communication through the ADC App</li>

You might be able to use any Skybell HD (only the HD version, specifically), instead of just ones with a specific firmware variant, etc. The feature is anticipated for availability soon. I do not have feature or device pricing, but closer to release we should be able to get you that info.

Great! Thank you for the update. I will be keeping an eye out for this!

I don’t yet have any cameras, so I am not sure how it works. Are clips stored on ADC for later review?

Don’t suppose there’s been any mention of multiple condition rules by any chance? :slight_smile:

The original post is everything that has been announced thus far. Will keep this up to date as we hear more.

Has the thermostat Always-On Display feature been rolled out yet?

Always-on display requires an Alarm.com thermostat with firmware later than 1.2. It is available under user settings on the thermostat card configuration.

Thanks. I’m not seeing that setting, but I don’t know which firmware I have. How do I check that? I couldn’t find any information on it.

At the thermostat, With the mode off, hold the up arrow and the firmware ver should display

I confirmed I have 1.2, but don’t see any options for an always on display on any of the thermostat settings.

Always-on display requires an Alarm.com thermostat with firmware later than 1.2

It is unfortunately not available on 1.2. It requires 1.3 or 1.5.

Always on then shows up as an option in user settings on Alarm.com.

ADC plans on releasing an OTA for older Tstats, but there is no ETA on it at this time.

I see, I misread your first comment as 1.2 or later. Thanks.

They have been saying they plan on updating the thermostat for a year now. They kind of stuck us with something that we can’t fully use. Same with the issues with the temp sensors and the zwave versions.

Can they flash the newer firmware if we mail the thermostat to them???

They kind of stuck us with something that we can’t fully use

Unfortunately in some circumstances newly released features do require new firmware.

One thing I would say is that compared to the companies I am familiar with, Alarm.com adds a ton of free new features to their service and products on a routine basis, continually improving.

Most of the time this applies to all users, but at times older versions of a device do not permit the new feature. This is exceedingly common with any technology industry and in our experience ADC does a much better job than most at these efforts, even with so many panel manufacturers to consider.

In fact the industry standard is usually to let end users just purchase new equipment. The sheer fact that ADC puts in a lot of development time for things like an OTA for the Tstat is why I back them.

Same with the issues with the temp sensors and the zwave versions.

I believe you are referring to the Z-wave radio version of 2GIG panels? The RTS requires newer Z-wave radio versions to function. It simply cannot work properly on older versions, the product would not have the same capability otherwise.

I’m just frustrated that I bought their new tstat when they came out and I can’t get all if the features. And without your help people would have no idea as to why they don’t work right.

And the sensors were sold to consumers with no notice that a certain version of zwave was required and we got stuck with them because this wasn’t figured out till most people were outside a return window.

I didn’t but them from yall because you didn’t sell them when I went to buy them.

To me it seems like the thermostat side if things was pushed out a little too fast and the requirements and features wernt ready for the consumers.

Now I know your just a rep for the company and this is out of your control. But if you would just pass on that the consumers are disappointed that there was a lack of communication on alarm.com part with the roll out if the t2000 and the sensors.

And the sensors were sold to consumers with no notice that a certain version of zwave was required and we got stuck with them because this wasn’t figured out till most people were outside a return window.

I didn’t but them from yall because you didn’t sell them when I went to buy them.

I would recommend contacting the retailer who sold them if they did not advertise requirements. It may be too late at this point, but you never know if they might be willing to assist.

I’m just frustrated that I bought their new tstat when they came out and I can’t get all if the features. And without your help people would have no idea as to why they don’t work right.

Keep in mind the features mentioned were not originally planned, were not announced at the time of release, and were not anticipated in the product. It’s likely that most were the direct result of feedback.

We will keep updating when an ETA becomes available or we find out an OTA is close. So we are able to best provide details to ADC, what feature(s) that were added in the new firmware are you most interested in?