Advice requested for window sensor

So my takeover module was working fine until a cabling guy cut/damaged 2 separate zone wires in wall. I’m not sure I will be able to fix the wiring and I dug out my 2gig DW Thin door/Window sensors.

However, in looking at the the window, the outer framing is thinner than the magnet contact. The magnet won’t sit flush on the framing and would likely fall off after some time. I’ve attached a picture so you can see what I have.

Any thoughts how I can re-deploy these sensors?

Regards!

It is difficult to get a good gauge of how it would sit without the magnet in the shot, but are you able to mount the magnet on the wall, (it’s top facing the sensor) and keep the sensor within 1/4 inch?

Sometimes you can use an additional strip of mounting tape (outdoor 3m, available at hardware stores) to help position magnets and sensors when the frame proves difficult.

Found this on my phone. Something like this??

I’d likely be able to move it closer to the sensor if I move both up towards the top of the window frame.

I’ve also see posts here and elsewhere about removing the magnet from the plastic or purchasing small magnets from a hardware store. Thoughts?

Found this on my phone. Something like this??

I’d likely be able to move it closer to the sensor if I move both up towards the top of the window frame.

Yes, the magnet oriented like in the photo, however that distance is too large so it would definitely need to be closer.

Keep in mind the sensor and magnet can switch places if that makes it easier to position. The magnet may be able to go on the actual window (the frame around the glass) and the sensor on the wall. A spacer or a little extra tape on the sensor can help position it closer to the magnet if needed.

I’ve also see posts here and elsewhere about removing the magnet from the plastic or purchasing small magnets from a hardware store. Thoughts?

If I recall correctly the bar magnets inside the 2GIG sensor magnets are cylindrical, so they would be very difficult to mount effectively and the housing is generally preferred. I don’t typically recommend other magnets unless there is absolutely no other choice, because they will have a different effective gap and may be more prone to false alarm.

Awesome!

Thanks, I’ll try to mount the magnet on the frame and sensor on the wall later today. I should be able to get them fairly close to one another with that configuration.

Also, what replacement tape do you recommend?

When we moved recently, I removed all the sticky tape from the backs of both the magnets and sensors.

Regards.

I would use Outdoor rated 3M mounting tape. You can find it at most hardware stores. Here is an example listing.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

One last thing, are the 2gig plunger sensors any good?

I was considering these for the doors as I would only have to drill one hole per door? I’ve seen mixed reviews but wondered if y’all had any thoughts.

It sounds like you are referring to the 345Mhz plunger door sensor from Ion correct? I have never installed or used one personally, although I believe some users have had good results. Its essentially still a magnet with a reed switch.

Keep in mind it has an antenna tail that gets mounted behind the plunger.

This configuration worked. Placed mounting tape on back of magnet and sensor. No extra tape or spacer needed. I’ll likely redeploy the remainder of the sensors I have.

Glad to hear you got it worked out! Let us know if you have any other questions!