Zwave hell...

Hi folks- I recently got my Neeo remote control system (it’s an all in-one, Zwave, zigbee, IR, wifi controller and remote combo). Since most of my devices are in my CG2, I opted to have the Neeo as secondary controller.

I added it and slowly some stuff showed up. However, all of my lamp modules (which are AC powered, not battery) showed unitialialized/offline. So I removed Neeo from GC2, re-added while having it sit closer to the panel. Second time around it showed all devices but I went to bed too tired to futz with it. Next day, half of the devices were showing in neeo as offline status. WTF? So back to square one, remove, re-add, since then have not been able to get it where all devices show as available in Neeo.

Now - they are totally out of sync. Panel sees a PC controller (neeo) and can’t poll it plus it is yellow in all devices list. Neeo shows “ready to add to network” so I can’t issue a delete command. How do I remove it from GC2? How do I pair this properly so I can see all my zwave devices that are controlled by GC2 on neeo? Super frustrated - this is now day 4 of this hell. Thanks in advance for your help!

P

Please don’t delete any devices. I think I figured out how to delete it already and have readded. Am waiting for remesh to reach the neeo now. I would love to know how to add the 3 rzp03 switches that keep going into uninitialized/unavailable state though. Right now I appear to be ahead of the game and only 2 are offline in the neeo. Waiting.

I would love to know how to add the 3 rzp03 switches that keep going into uninitialized/unavailable state though

Are those plug-in modules being moved after being learned in? Are you running a Network Rediscovery after learning them into your panel and everything is in its permanent location? Remember that Z-wave devices map routes, so if learned in at one physical location and then either the panel or rzp03 is moved to another location, its repeating device routes have changed and it may no longer be able to connect.

A Network Rediscovery remaps the signal routes to fix that issue.

If you have further trouble, the way you would typically want to do this is below. The device with wider compatibility should always be primary.

Learn all devices into the Neeo directly.
Reset the 2GIG Z-wave controller.
Go into add mode on your Neeo.
Learn Controller on the 2GIG Panel.
The controllers should remain within a few feet of one another through this process.
Access the Z-wave device list on the 2Gig panel and ensure all devices were shared.

So to clarify - the 2gig has had them in their control for close to 3 years. 2gig is primary and was the only controller until neeo came in the house.

I have tried rediscovery and network check.

As for Neeo being primary - it’s still in beta as far as I’m concerned so I am hesitant to make it primary yet. Not for something like house automation. It’s not like smartthings or micasa where it’s been tried and tested. It literally is on the second week of being in the wild after a nearly 3 year kickstarter cycle. Hence the lack of trust. I wouldn’t be surprised if my issues are tied to this fact. Yesterday I had to force quit the neeo app twice while trying various things.

Right now I’m still down to two of those plug-in modules not showing up as available. In neeo they are listed as uninitialized rather than off network. I wish I knew how to trigger a device find so I can “wake them up” with commands and then search - but neeo only has add to network or copy the network. For copy the network the primary controller has to be in learn mode (I assume they mean add?) Because the only learn is learn controller and that does not make sense.

Unfortunately in this case we cannot provide any confirmation of functionality with a third party device like the Neeo, so there will be a lot of trial and error. No documentation typically exists for using third party controllers through any primary controller.

For copy the network the primary controller has to be in learn mode (I assume they mean add?)

Yes, try Add Device, as Learn Controller sets the 2GIG Panel as a secondary controller.

How many devices do you have that are working properly with the Neeo and 2GIG Panel?

Do the two that are not working only fail in the Neeo? Do they still function through the 2GIG Panel?

I totally understand third party support. Thank you for what you are doing in any case!!

The two that are not working on being able to add to Neeo are working fine from alarm.com web, alarm.com app and the panel itself. I don’t know if you can login and see their signal strength - perhaps they are on the fringe and just need some more repeaters in the area to reach the signal.

All has been working the treat for almost three years though.

On a related note - is GC3 better at this? I’ve been debating swapping panels for speedier access and some of the other features. But have held off waiting for secondary panels. Now that they are here - that’s an option for me. I just don’t want to have to replace the entire house. Also - is there a simple migration path - or do I have to relearn every sensor too if I did that? (sorry to mix topics)

On a related note – is GC3 better at this? I’ve been debating swapping panels for speedier access and some of the other features. But have held off waiting for secondary panels.

If the devices are functioning properly through the panel and Alarm.com, but not on the Neeo (especially if others are functioning on the Neeo) this is going to be a Neeo specific issue, and a change in panel would not really help. I would expect no difference in operation with a GC3.

You could always try adding a repeater, it would be a good thing to test. I would guess this is more of a compatibility concern though than a signaling one.

If you remove those devices from the 2GIG Panel and simply set up and test the Neeo alone as a parallel network, does it function properly with those light modules?

perhaps they are on the fringe and just need some more repeaters in the area to reach the signal.

We cannot see additional diagnostics on the 2GIG Panel due to the firmware version. It looks like it is currently 1.10. A more recent version would be required.

Unfortunately I don’t think this would really help because it would only be able to tell us statistics in relation to the 2GIG Panel, not the Neeo.

Also – is there a simple migration path – or do I have to relearn every sensor too if I did that? (sorry to mix topics)

GC2 panels (those with symbols under the emergency button) can be backed up and a restore process can be sent. It seems to have a lower success rate than going from one GC2 to another GC2, and we have seen only partial success in some circumstances.

If your panel is an older model with the word emergency spelled out under the emergency button, it cannot be restored to a GC3.

Also note that Z-wave devices cannot be backed up, and must always be reinstalled locally.

Ok so GC3 waits for now. Thanks.

On these lamp modules. It’s not a config thing because I have 3 of them, yesterday most of the day all 3 were unavailable. But after a delete/re-add of Neeo as controller, 1 came available with the rest of the devices. So I think I’ll experiment.

Would it make sense for me to take one of the lamp modules and plug it in temporarily near the neeo? In this scenario, does it basically connect directly to the zwave item or is it about being close to the GC2 and neeo simply sends commands go GC2? Sorry - the fundamentals of Zwave are not in my collective of info. But basically, I would like to just learn these devices and then put them back - I know I did that for the GC2 for some items, just wondering if that makes logical sense here.

Would it make sense for me to take one of the lamp modules and plug it in temporarily near the neeo? In this scenario, does it basically connect directly to the zwave item or is it about being close to the GC2 and neeo simply sends commands go GC2?

You could try moving one of them closer to the Neeo, then running a Network rediscovery. I’m not familiar with the Neeo or its UI so I could not give instructions on how to repair any routes on it specifically at this time, but that would be a good thing to test.

It is my understanding that all controllers would be routing directly to the device through any repeating neighbors. The signal from one controller would not be sent to another controller first.

I would like to just learn these devices and then put them back – I know I did that for the GC2 for some items, just wondering if that makes logical sense here.

Have you had any similar issue with any other model of device? Are these plug-in modules farthest from the Neeo or other nodes?

Have you had any similar issue with any other model of device? Are these plug-in modules farthest from the Neeo or other nodes?

Yes, as stated above there are 3 total… usually all 3 were showing up unavailable. Somehow last night one showed up as available. Nothing changed physically.

I just remember that some devices when being added to the GC2 HAD to be put near the GC2 - things like my kwikset lock, for example, would not pair in place - I had to bring it down to the panel. Then I could put it back where it is installed in the door and it works well ever since.

Yes, as stated above there are 3 total… usually all 3 were showing up unavailable. Somehow last night one showed up as available. Nothing changed physically.

We just wanted to verify that the only devices you have been having issues with are all the same model number.

I just remember that some devices when being added to the GC2 HAD to be put near the GC2 – things like my kwikset lock, for example, would not pair in place – I had to bring it down to the panel. Then I could put it back where it is installed in the door and it works well ever since.

Yes, Z-wave devices that do not support NWI must be learned in close to the panel then moved to their final location, or the panel brought to them instead.

Door locks encounter many issues when not learned in within close proximity of the controller.

In this case, just to clarify, you are learning everything into the 2GIG Panel and you are successfully getting the device list from the 2GIG panel to pass to the Neeo?

In that case the Neeo and the 2GIG Panel should be in close proximity during the add process. Then move the device and repair routes.