Z-wave Lock Range Concern

Hi I purchased the Kwikset Corporation 99100-004 Z-Wave SmartCode Electronic Touchpad Deadbolt and I programmed it to my 2gig panel.

The lock will open and close only if it is close to the panel.

If I put it 20 feet away where the door it is supposed to be installed on it will not open and close either through the panel or remotely with the alarm.com app.

When I send the signal remotely the red light goes on showing it is getting some kind of signal but nothing happens.

What could this be?

Happy to help! Note that battery operated Z-wave Locks in general have a limited range and in many cases must rely on repeating devices to improve the signal.

Z-wave is a mesh network where AC powered devices repeat signals. It looks like the lock is the only device in your Z-wave network. What you are describing is not unusual for a lone lock.

Range is also affected by intervening walls and furnishings.

Make sure that you learn the lock into the panel within about 6 feet of the panel.

If you are having trouble reaching the lock with commands when it is moved further away you may need a repeater placed between the two to help.

With the lock installed on the door, if you run a Network Rediscovery does the lock report any errors?

Added 2gig dimmer devices yesterday in an attempt to get the kwikset 910 to work the distance between each is now less than 15 ft so I thought i had a nice little mesh network to reach the lock which is less than 30 ft from the panel. Everything operated fine until I got to the lock which would only operate if I had it within 8 ft of the closest dimmer or near the panel. So I attempted a remove device and nothing would show up to remove. Then I did a reset which would remove all devices and reset the panel. Rebooted the panel and nothing will come up in discovery mode. Double click dimmer repeatedly and it wont go into discovery mode, click the discovery button on the kwikset with it about 2 ft away from the panel…nothing. Help!

Everything operated fine until I got to the lock which would only operate if I had it within 8 ft of the closest dimmer or near the panel.

When learning in the Z-Wave lock, did you move the panel to within six feet of the lock? How long did you leave the panel near the lock after successfully learning it in? It is a good idea to leave the panel near the lock after the enrollment process so the lock can complete the secure enrollment process.

Then I did a reset which would remove all devices and reset the panel. Rebooted the panel and nothing will come up in discovery mode. Double click dimmer repeatedly and it wont go into discovery mode, click the discovery button on the kwikset with it about 2 ft away from the panel…nothing

It appears as though the devices were not removed successfully. Try this, when removing a Z-Wave Device from the mesh network navigate to Services → Z-Wave-> Wrench Icon → Remove Devices then click the remove button on the Z-Wave device. Do you get a notification that the device has been removed from the network?

If so, try adding the device back in (same steps above but click Add Device) Does this resolve the issue?

Again, once all devices are learned in and the panel is back at its install point, you will want to run a Z-Wave Network Rediscovery, this will ensure that the devices are communicating in the best possible manner.

This article regarding setting up, testing and maintaining Z-Wave networks may be helpful

Ok thanks, light dimmers are now operational. Lock has been newly discovered and is 2ft from the panel. How long should I leave it there to complete secure enrollment before I can put the lock back to the door it is to be installed?

Just a couple minutes to be safe, but after reinstalling on the door be sure to run a network rediscovery. This will remap the signal routes and route the commands to the lock through the dimmer(s).

Ok went through this procedure and back to square one with the dimmers all working but not the lock.

Proceded to remove the lock from the panel and then added it again. Let it sit for 10 minutes next to the panel, then I moved the lock to the door it is supposed to go on did a network re-discovery and no luck. Batteries are all fresh as I checked with my voltmeter.

All of the Dimmers are with in 15 feet of each other with no obstructions The first dimmer is within 15 feet of the panel with very little or no obstruction The lock is within 6 feet the furthest dimmer with no obstructions.

If I bring the lock to the panel it will open and close with commands through the panel pad

Hmm, is this a standard home door? Is this in a commercial or industrial environment?

Is there a lot of metal near the lock?

Was the lock purchased new or used?

This is a standard exterior wood door. Residential home, no baby monitors or devices that would interfere.

There is no metal near the lock at all. Home is wood frame costruction walls are standard 1/2 gypsum board.

The lock was purchased new. dimmers are new. This is the second brand new lock producing the same result/symptoms.

Interesting, two of the same model lock? That would typically just indicate an environmental issue, but it doesn’t sound like there should be anything taxing currently.

Is the lock installed now? I’d like to send a few status commands to the lock/system. Would that be ok?

Yes they are the same model locks the kwikset 910.

The lock is not installed as I do not feel comfortable trusting it to operate as it should.

it is currently on a cardboard box on top of a barstool at approximately the same height and location that it would be if it were installed.

Sure you can send some signals to test it. If you need me to observe the lock just let me know before hand

Aha, I am actually seeing with an update request that all of the Z-wave devices are showing a poor link quality. The issue may be less with where the lock is and more with where the panel is, or other panel issue.

Where is the panel located? Any metal, etc.? Is it enclosed in any way?

Try powering down the panel for a full 2 minutes, AC, then battery. Then after 2 minutes, plug in the battery then the AC transformer. Wait a few minutes then try the commands and let us know. We will check the link quality reports again.

Its not enclosed at all, no metal. Ok will power down at check back

Powered down and up. Sent commands on and off to each dimmer all work.

Then try to send a command to the lock

“Acquiring Z wave device status”

Same symptom.

Your panel is still reporting that the lock has zero neighbor nodes. What this means is that the network rediscovery did not map any other devices in between the lock and the dimmers. Where are the dimmers installed at the moment?

The dimmers are located in a 20 x 40 mostly open concept room.

The first dinner is located 15 feet from the panel the second dinner is located 15 feet from the first dimmer the third dimmer is located 15 feet from the second dimmer laid out in a triangular pattern within the room as pictured. The lock is located within 6 feet of the third number. No obstructions.

Photo of dimmer layout

Dimner 3 in relation to lock

I sent a couple commands including another rediscovery and now the lock is showing having one of the dimmers as a neighbor node (looks like the 3rd, which would make sense).

It still reports lower signal strength. Can you go ahead and see if you get success sending from the panel or adc?

No luck. Lock screen minutes after I sent a signal from the app, then I sent another signal to unlock from the app and it wouldn’t work at all.

I tried sending commands from the panel but it just stays in “ acquiring Z wave signal” then it Times out and tells me maybe my batteries are bad but that’s not true.

These devices suck. 10 hours is my limit to try to program three stupid dimmers and a lock. Lol l Can you suggest a device that would work through Wi-fi?