Vivint Sky Panel

My contract has expired and I have cancelled the monitoring service with Vivint. I would like to self monitor after installing a new control panel, but I am not sure if it would be possible.

Happy to help! The Sky Panel would not be compatible so yes, you would need a new control panel.

Some equipment can be reused and some cannot as it is proprietary or incompatible. This thread goes over options.

If you just want local (or you want to increase resale value of the skypanel*), and don’t want remote interactive services, there is (or was) a way to reset the skypanel, and then disable the 48 hour lockout, and get installer access. You can use 2GIG sensors.

Note that If you reset panel, you will have to reinstall existing sensors.

To reset a Sky panel, unlock it, and gain installer and programming access, open the panel, Remove cell module. It cannot be reused. Hold in the panel tamper button until it resets. Then you need to immediately disable the installer lockout.

You can continue to use the Sky as a local alarm, surveillance, and automation system, and install your own gear to it. Be sure to disable wifi connectivity as well.

Default installer code is 2203.

Most of the 2GIG GoControl panel hacks (in vivint branded 2GIG GC panels you could remove cell and use default 2580 code to gain user code access, and view/change Master Code. Later 2GIG GC firmware (in non-Vivint panels) fixed this exploit, so only master user could access all user codes, and not secondary user codes).

Skypanel hacks (like the tamper reset) that I know about and used may have been fixed via firmware updates. So the reset may no longer work for gaining installer access. YMMV.

• Apparently there is a resale market for Vivint Skypanel systems. If you own system/hardware (and have master user code access), Vivint will (upon request) provide basic Central Station monitoring for around $30/month, no contract on customer owned equipment.