Vivint Sky Control Panel

Question:

I have a 2016 Vivint Sky Patrol Panel with all the sensors that they would have installed in 2016. Guessing the Sky Control Panel wont be compatible, but will my sensors. I cannot find the models of the sensors.

Need to know what to do to get my system up and running.

Thanks!

Also would a Panel I buy from you guys be compatible with Nest Doorbells and cameras?

Unfortunately most peripheral items associated with the Sky panel are proprietary. The models of security sensors typically installed with that panel are not officially supported by standard 2GIG systems, but we’ve heard reports from some users that some may be able to be reused directly with a 2GIG GC2 or GC3 panel.

All monthly service pricing is flat dependent on the service plan and add-ons you choose. You can view the pricing and included features of our service plans here.

All products and service plans are purchased on our website. You can find Basic Interactive here. Gold Interactive here.

When you place your order, you will be directed to complete an information survey which collects the necessary information for account creation and our team will send a Welcome to suretyDIY email which contains the pertinent setup information for the system you’ve chosen, as well as initial Alarm.com login credentials.

Note that while Nest thermostats have some basic integration available with Gold Interactive through the ADC back-end, no other Nest products would be directly compatible.

Cameras would need to be Alarm.com compatible models. Compatible camera models are shown here. You can find some models on suretyDIY, but equipment can be purchased from any vendor and used with your account, so long as the camera is not locked to another account. We typically recommend avoiding used cameras for that reason.

Understand. So how will I know if my Vivint accessories will work for sure before I purchase and panel from you guys?

We would be happy to help confirm. Please provide the model numbers of the devices you are looking at using.

Video cameras will not be usable, and the doorbell camera if it is there is not compatible.

Ok, Carbon Monoxide detector is: 2GIG-CO3-345
Glass Breaking Sensor: V-GB2-345 (I think)
Fire Sensor: 2GIG-SMKT3-345

Also, if I buy a used control panel on Ebay that is 2GIG compatible - I am assuming that will work?

Ryan

Yes, those sensor models should be fine, but note that the CO3 has a 5-year lifespan and the SMKT3 has a 10 year lifespan.

The SMKT3 is almost certainly still fine, however I would double check the replace-by date on the CO3-345 detector in case it was older stock when installed.

Also, if I buy a used control panel on Ebay that is 2GIG compatible – I am assuming that will work?

Yes, you can purchase compatible equipment from any vendor or source and use it with our service. We of course cannot speak to the physical state or possible damage to used devices.

One thing I recommend purchasing new to avoid issues is the cellular communication module, as modules can be left locked to an open account or be deactivated by the carrier after a period of no usage.

Ok thanks. Also, is there an advantage to the different cellular models?

To choose the right cellular module for your location, this coverage check tool can be consulted.

Often both Verizon and AT&T will have full coverage, but it is best to check before making a determination.

The Verizon LTE module is the latest released and will likely see the longest support. Systems do not currently utilize functions which need to take advantage of faster data speeds in LTE.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

I ordered the GC3 LTE Verizon Panel. Couple of problems.

1. The cell card installation keep saying “Working”, and then begins the setup all over each time. Not sure what to do there.

2. Trying to install zones - every time I add a zone, it seems to keep choosing the same serial number. All my zones have the same one. On the glass breaking sensor, not sure how to tamper it, if I release it, the battery is disconnected. Do I need to bring all the sensors right beside the panel (this will not work for the glass breaking sensors)

3. Not sure how to add the wired door to our home.

4. Can you connect to Kwikset locks? Our Vivint system used to.

5. Anyway to get the control panel to connect to a Nest Hello? Just want the chime.

Again - I tried to find tutorial videos, but couldn’t on some of my sensors.
These are my sensors:
Ok, Carbon Monoxide detector is: 2GIG-CO3-345
Glass Breaking Sensor: V-GB2-345 (I think)
Fire Sensor: 2GIG-SMKT3-345
Motion Sensor: 2GIG-PiR1-345

I also have 2 garage door sensors, I can’t tell what model it is.

Thanks for any help.

The cell card installation keep saying “Working”, and then begins the setup all over each time. Not sure what to do there.

To clarify, there are no software steps to follow for Cell sled installation. It is simply a physical installation.

Are you referring instead to running a Cell Phone Test at the panel? Note that if you do not yet have an associated Alarm.com account a cell phone test will not be helpful. You can obtain service on our website.

Trying to install zones – every time I add a zone, it seems to keep choosing the same serial number. All my zones have the same one. On the glass breaking sensor, not sure how to tamper it, if I release it, the battery is disconnected. Do I need to bring all the sensors right beside the panel (this will not work for the glass breaking sensors)

To clarify, are you pressing learn and then tripping already installed sensors? Be sure to learn in motion detectors first in that case or power them down until last, otherwise you might continue to trip the motion detector(s) while trying to learn in other sensors.

Zones do not have the same serial number (TX-ID). This will be unique for the various sensors. The TX-ID will be printed on a label on the sensors typically. Either on the back or inside the cover.

Not sure how to add the wired door to our home.

Can you please clarify this? Are you referring to a wired door contact? Or are you referring to a lock of some kind, or do you mean a doorbell button or the Skybell HD Video Doorbell?

Can you connect to Kwikset locks? Our Vivint system used to.

Yes, but the locks will need to be removed via the Sky panel first. See this user post for information on this.

Anyway to get the control panel to connect to a Nest Hello? Just want the chime.

No, while Nest thermostats can be controlled through Alarm.com, other Nest peripherals cannot, and the Nest Hello is not compatible with Alarm.com or any panel.

Again – I tried to find tutorial videos, but couldn’t on some of my sensors. These are my sensors:

Programming instructions for these sensors can be found here, along with videos. For the Glass Break, use the instructions for the GB1-345

I also have 2 garage door sensors, I can’t tell what model it is.

If you are having trouble determining the model, you can pop the cover off the sensor and post a photo of the sensor here. We would be happy to help.

"To clarify, are you pressing learn and then tripping already installed sensors? Be sure to learn in motion detectors first in that case or power them down until last, otherwise you might continue to trip the motion detector(s) while trying to learn in other sensors.

Zones do not have the same serial number (TX-ID). This will be unique for the various sensors. The TX-ID will be printed on a label on the sensors typically. Either on the back or inside the cover."

The motion detector may be the issue. When the panel “learns” the serial - how do I know which serial # is matching with the sensor?

===========

The motion detector may be the issue. When the panel “learns” the serial – how do I know which serial # is matching with the sensor?

See the quoted text: the TX-ID (the serial number you are looking for) will be printed on a sticker on the individual sensors. The sticker will typically be on the back of the sensor or inside the housing depending on the model. On the PIR1-345 it is found inside the sensor housing.

To avoid the issue simply remove the battery from the PIR1-345 until last so you do not trip it on the way to other sensors.

Ok, pretty much got everything working accept glass break sensors, for some reason not fully sure how to tamper them. I attached a picture.

I am also working on trying to remove the Kwikset from the Vivint Sky Panel - evidently the standard installer code is not working. So I assume calling them is the best option? \

Thanks for the help!

Vivint Glass Break sensor

This user post discusses utilizing that glass break with a GC3 and might be of assistance!

I am also working on trying to remove the Kwikset from the Vivint Sky Panel – evidently the standard installer code is not working. So I assume calling them is the best option?

We wouldn’t be able to assist with any codes on the Sky Panel itself, so it may be good to try the vendor. We could not say whether they’ll be able to assist.

Typically you can perform a “Remove Device” on a Z-wave device from any controller to clear the device’s parent network link in order to use it again. Unfortunately other users have indicated that with the Sky Panel they have had to do it from the Sky Panel itself to fully function.

I am not sure how Vivint was able to do this, but it was able to tell if my doors or were open or not. My home was originally prewired for security system. How could I possibly connect that to my GC3 panel?

Are you saying there are sensors for doors, etc., that are not wireless? Wired recessed sensors would utilize a 2GIG Take-345 takeover module. A Takeover module transmits wired zones as wireless signals to the panel.

This would be typically found in a basement nearby an old panel or where the wiring for the sensors converges. This video shows the installation and programming steps of one to get an idea of how it works.

If you have one though, since it is already in place and installed you should just be able to learn in the doors by opening them while the panel is listening for a sensor serial number. Each sensor would be learned in individually.

All Takeover module zones use Loop 1 in programming.