Unable to join the network "skybell_xxxxxxxxx"

Good Evening!

I have a Skybell doorbell camera that I’ve been attempting to connect. I continue to get the message Unable to join the network “skybell_xxxxxxxxx” and cannot get past this point

I’ve tried everything in the trouble shooting documentation that I can find and have even tried different devices. I am certain that my phone is connected to the 2.4 band. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Phillip

What model of mobile device are you using to perform the setup?

Good Morning!
I have tried on an iphone 6 and and iphone 6S.

Thanks.

Just to verify, from the installation guide, are you exiting the App and trying to connect to the Doorbell temporary SSID in the iPhone settings?

"The syncing process will instruct you to connect to the
Doorbell Camera’s temporary Wi-Fi network. The
network is named Skybell_123456789 (or
SkybellHD_123456789), where 123456789 corresponds
to the device’s serial number. On iPhone or iPad, you
must leave the Alarm.com app, enter the Settings app,
select Wi-Fi and select the SkyBell network. "

Yep, I use the alarm.com app until I get to the screen where it prompts me to connect with the wifi connection in the settings. I go to the wife settings and find the Skybell network. When I try to connect to the Skybell network is when I get the “unable to join the network”

What color is the Skybell LED indicator when trying this?

Do you see any other errors or messages other than Unable to Join?

What version of IOS are you using on the devices?

I am seeing a number of results suggesting isues when I search “iPhone unsecured network.” Have you tried resetting the phone network settings?

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings

It was flashing red and green. I’m on IOS 11.

I was able to acquire a Galaxy S4 and installed the alarm.com app on it. It installed the doorbell camera without any issue.

Thanks for following up. We’ll try to do some testing on IOS 11, but it looks like it is probably an issue with how it connects to unsecured networks.

I am having this SAME issue. iPhone XR iOS 12.1.4
In ADC app, unable to join the network “skybell_xxxxxxxxx” and cannot get past this point
I did an apple network reset.
Advice?

After the network reset, have you tried power cycling the phone as well? We have reached out to ADC and will report back additional information as it becomes available.

Yes I tried power cycling the phone. Just for grins I tried to connect with my chrome book. Did not work either. Checking the Internet does not look like this is unheard of…

Please let me know any ideas from ADC dealer support !!!

Thanks

At this time, it is recommended to power cycle the SkyBell. You should completely power down the SkyBell for about 3 minutes before powering it back up and attempting the connection process again. When reconnecting ensure that you are at/near the SkyBell when attempting to connect. Any Change?

If attempting to use an alternate device, pairing would need to be from the Alarm.com mobile app and not the website. Currently, the SkyBell can only be paired via the mobile app, if you have an alternate device to try.

Should power cycling not work, and if no alternate mobile device is available, you will want to factory reset the SkyBell and try the process again.

OK it worked. THANKS
Did this. One of these steps helped.

• (re)Checked 2.4GHz speed/signal up/down at doorbell location w/speedtest app on iPhone. Good.
  • Deleted “Xfinity WiFi app” & related COMCAST/xfinity “automatic secure hotspot” security profile from iPhone … in greater Philly(COMCAST Corporate HQ)/SNJ these hotspots are “everywhere” it seems
  • Updated to iOS 12.2
  • No other iOS (security)profiles on my phone(i.e. Corporate VPNs, Corporate emails, Corporate “iOS-secured walled” apps etc…)
  • Rebooted phone.
  • Cut power to ShyBell for 5 minutes, wait for completed full reboot per indicator
  • Stood next to doorbell VERY close; iPhone on 5MHz Wifi with ADC app…
  • Did ADC app add doorbell thing, at step for iOS Settings 2.4MHz join to (ADC)Skybell Slim worked!!!
  • Waited patiently per ADC App prompt after joining to Skybell’s temporary WiFi for configuration stuff per the ADC app prompt…
    -entered password for WiFi in ADC app for the SkyBell
  • When prompted manually rejoined (MUCH less conflicted and congested)5MHz WiFi, ADC app left running as I futzed with this step a bit in iOS
    Voila… worked. Set options in ADC app.

Excellent! Yeah the step after joining the SkyBell network (for anyone else) can take a few minutes even when in very close proximity (from personal testing) and I get antsy waiting for it lol.

My best guess here was the doorbell reboot and/or the ios update. Updating ios and mobile app is typically a good place to start when troubleshooting.

Im glad you were able to get connected!