Trane Comfortlink XL1050 thermostat

We are switching out one of our HVAC systems to a new trane system with the XL1050 thermostat. Will Alarm.com be able to control the basic features of this thermostat? It has a next bridge built in.

Compatibility would largely be determined by the type of alarm panel you use for thermostats, aside from Nest. In this case however, it looks like this thermostat is designed as a smart-home Z-wave controller, not just a device. It is not compatible with Alarm.com.

It is a z wave controller, but it can be set up as a z wave repeater and join an existing Z wave network as well. I am using a 2gig GC2 panel. I read on here that earlier Trane comfort link II thermostats are compatible. This one is basically the same as the XL850 but with a bigger screen and newer interface.

The new model you reference is not listed as a compatible device yet, so we could not confirm expected functionality.

However, if it can be used as a Z-wave device in another controller’s network, it would be worth a shot learning in and testing. If there are substantial differences it may fail to pair, or you may see errors reported for its status in Alarm.com. If it is a popular model you will likely see compatibility addressed by firmware for many panels.

Do you know which trane thermostats are listed as compatible?

The TZEMT400 is the only one officially listed by ADC.

Note that this does not mean necessarily that others will not function at all, but that they have not been confirmed as compatible. It is important to consider the compatibility of your alarm panel to the device first. I would expect a new model to not have been tested yet.

Ohh…that one would not be an option as this system needs a communicating thermostat to function correctly. Guess Ill just have to try it out after installed. I asked the installer about using Nest but was told that it will not allow the equipment to operate at variable capacities.

I wonder if it would be possible to update this info. I am looking at replacing an AC with a Trane 2 stage unit that uses a Trane TCONT824AS52DB, that is the XL 824. I think it could also use the ComfortLink II. Would these be compatible with Alarm.com and my 2Gig GC3 panel?

See this thread.

Unfortunately no, the Comfortlink 2 is a controller, not a thermostat device and is not compatible. The XL 824 is not compatible.

For the best list of compatible devices, check out the ecosystem page on Alarm.com.