The Next Level

Good morning Suretydiy,

Over the past couple months, I have become somewhat enamored with the Raspberry Pi. These little micro computers are running all kinds of neat tasks on my network. Through my experiences with the Raspberry Pi, I ran into a neat little open source program called OpenHAB. I was wondering if anyone is using OpenHAB or a Raspberry Pi in conjunction with a GC3 panel or if it is even possible. The raspi 3 has Bluetooth, Ethernet, and WiFi and the makings of something special with a z-wave USB stick (if they even make one) for presence detection.

Surely someone out there has had these things cross their mind as they have mine?

Thanks,
Dan

Surely someone out there has had these things cross their mind as they have mine?

We’ve not made any use of one yet, but yes we have toyed with the idea of using a pi in some way as a custom Z-wave device.

If you tinker with it and have any success we would love to hear or discuss!

The first step is getting the Pi z-wave. Any suggestions? Is there such a thing as a z-wave USB stick that is compatible with both Linux and 2Gig?

Compatibility with 2GIG would be based on having a multiple controller network. The Z-stick would be the primary controller. Alarm.com could not control the Z-stick or any device compatible only with it, it would be a parallel but integrated system of control. ADC would retain control over the devices compatible with the 2GIG Panel.

The Aeotec Z-stick is a commonly used Z-wave usb stick.

I was under the impression that z-wave devices could connect to only one controller. Is this true? Operating under that principle, I would have to pick either the pi/z-stick or the 2gig panel correct?

Z-wave devices can only be linked to one network at a time, but a network can have more than one controller.

One controller is designated primary and directly learns in the devices. The other controller(s) is designated as secondary and the device list is shared with it. It retains device control of compatible devices, but you no longer learn devices into it specifically.

So devices would have to be compatible with both the z-stick and the 2gig? If I am tracking right, they would have to be compatible with the 2gig to be seen and used on alarm.com and compatible with the z-stick to be learned in? Am I close?

So devices would have to be compatible with both the z-stick and the 2gig?

All devices would need to be compatible with the Z-stick. Only those devices compatible with the 2GIG Panel and ADC would be controllable via Alarm.com.

I hope everyone at suretydiy had a good Christmas.

I am still on the path of integrating a raspi3 into my network. I now have an Aeotec z-wave stick. How would I go about learning the gc3 into the z-wave stick as a secondary controller?

As an updated note, I am now using Home Assistant instead on Openhab.

So,

I was able to remove all the devices from the GC3 and add them to the Raspi3 with the Aeotec Gen5 Z-wave Stick. It went fairly smoothly. The ADC T2000 Thermostat and GC001 Linear Garage Door Opener were not immediately recognized by Home Assistant and there is some work to do there. Next I went in and made the GC3 the secondary controller. Worked like a charm. Once it connected, all the z-wave devices started “downloading” from the raspi3 and the devices that were not recognized by Home Assistant were immediately recognized by the GC3 (thermostat and garage door opener). I was very happy and figured the next step, ADC setup, would be a breeze. Only one of the z-wave devices populated in ADC. It was Node 18, a z-wave siren. I am hoping that because the information differed drastically from the previous setup that someone at ADC or SuretyDIY can do a Ctl/Alt/Delete so my info will repopulate in ADC. Hoping that the siren populated because it was node 18 and I don’t think my previous setup went that high. thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Dan

Commands were sent to re-sync and a fair few devices have populated now. Can you confirm? I am seeing issues with the Z-wave locks and they will likely need to be removed from the network and re added.

Lights are working. Should I read the locks through the Raspberry and home assistant or the gc3?

You will want to learn them into the RaspberryPi. Be sure to bring the device within six feet of the locks when learning in.

When learning the GC3 as a secondary, was this within 6 feet of the RaspberryPi?

It wasn’t. Hopefull6 this will not be a continual problem but will you please re-sync my adc account again. Thanks. Learning process. Home assistant has a heal node that I might try. After that I will try re-adding writhing 6 feet. Problem is when the nodes change I have to relearn everything at the gc3 which means a re-sync of adc. Any advice on how to make this more efficient with changes at the raspi?

Any advice on how to make this more efficient with changes at the raspi?

Typically a cell phone test will force a sync, but you can also let us know and we can request an updated equipment list. Said commands have been run, please allow about 5 minutes for them to take effect and then check to confirm that devices have synced.

Good afternoon,

Could you please re-sysnc my system again?

Thanks,
Dan

No problem, commands have been sent! Please allow about 5 minutes for them to take effect.

Thank you,

If I add codes to my locks through the Raspi3 and Home Assistant, how do those get sync’ed to the GC3? Is that the job of Home Assistant or the GC3?

Sorry for the delay, Codes for the locks would be added via Alarm.com

I have tried several times to learn the locks and the garage door opener into home assistant. They add perfect into home assistant and I can see and control them. I also have two thermostats and several light switches all easily operated by Home Assistant. The locks and the garage door opener are learned into home assistant through the add node secure and I have a network key properly setup in Home Assistant. Once everything is setup, I add the gc3 panel as a secondary panel through add node secure on Home Assistant. Everything seems to “download” into the gc3. This is the point I ask you guys to resync adc. From here, all the secure devices (door locks and garage door opener) have problems communicating with adc but the unsecure devices (lights and thermostats) work fine. I was wondering if there was anything you can see on your end to assist? Or any experience you have had that could help? I love suretydiy and adc. Not having their frontend work is a deal breaker. I was just hoping to take some of my other devices to the next level with home assistant.

Thank you,
Dan