Switching to suretyDIY 1

Hello, I’ve inherited a 2GIG system and would like to possibly use your service to self-monitor.

Here are the specs:

Verizon ADC - locked by Monitronics
Firmware - V1.10.1
I have access to default installer code
Conchord 4 box in closet with antennas at the top, no extra cell backup inside box that i can see.
Previous owners had landline service but also had smartphone access.
12 or so window sensors
2 motion sensors
siren
2 touchpad 2gig controls, ive only opened 1 touchpad control by main door to get ADC.

The other touchpad looks like a smaller version but newer.

How likely is it that Monitronics will unlock module to be used by another carrier?
Will they change the default installer code in the proccess?
I’d like to just have self-monitor to where the alarm will sound if breached, and possibly access and alerts via Iphone.

I currently have T-mobile as my cell phone provider.

I’d like to use my own self-monitoring/alerts and not pay any monthly fee, how can I do this?

Welcome to the suretyDIY forum!

Do you know if the Concord 4 is being utilized as a part of your security setup? Are the sensors in your home hardwired to the Concord 4 and if so is the 2GIG panel registering those sensors when they activate? It is likely that your setup is utilizing a 2GIG takeover module. You will want to determine which system is actively being used as only one of them should be.

It also sounds like you have a 2GIG Go!Control panel AND a 2GIG TS1 secondary panel (the smaller one).

How likely is it that Monitronics will unlock module to be used by another carrier? Will they change the default installer code in the proccess?

I cannot speak for the previous owner’s service provider. This would be something that would need to be answered by that company. With regards to the installer code, that would get reset to default, by suretyDIY, when you signed up for service.

I’d like to use my own self-monitoring/alerts and not pay any monthly fee, how can I do this?

Service through us would still require a monthly fee. In order to generate alerts through Alarm.com and have them sent to your phone,computer,tablet etc. this would require service.

You can sign up for our Basic Interactive or Gold Interactive service packages with, or without Central Station Monitoring.

Hello Tyler,

Let me preface these answers by saying that i have several pictures of the setup should you need them…

Yes, I believe so. The motion sensors are hardwired somewhere. The Concord box in the closet has a power transformer in a wall outlet right under a smaller white with a wavy “W” pattern transformer that is zip-tied down to prevent removal. The tech I spoke with said the bottom transformer is for the Box and the other is for the 2Gig panels.

All sensors are functioning properly and talking with the 2Gig so I’m not sure which system is actively being used but it looks like both?

As far as the previous security company, I only wanted to know if they might have a track record for NOT opening the box for other providers as that would change things substantially. Tech support has already tried to walk me through disabling communication to them by either unplugging the Concord transformer (which would then render the system unusable) or removing the sim card (which wasn’t there and tipped me off to it being a Verizon ADC). The tech was stumped at this point and that’s where we are now. They did mention that the equipment is mine to keep.

Like I said, I have pictures of the box, transformers, and back of main 2gig panel should you need them.

If you would like to post a few photos, that may help. Any equipment nearby the Concord Panel with connected wiring to the panel would be helpful. From the sound of it, the Concord is probably being used for power and battery backup for a 2GIG Takeover Module to make use of wired zones. Photos would verify. (The two panels wouldn’t work in the same system, and utilize different wireless sensor frequencies.)

Unfortunately though, these panels are not intended for use without a subscription through a back-end service provider. (At least if notifications are desired, without a subscription they can only really be a noisemaker)

The best bet if you want to use a 2GIG panel by itself without a subscription is finding a way to utilize the dry contact open collector output which can be programmed to activate on alarms and another off-the-shelf device like a Zwave controller that allows you to set up notifications and an email contact, etc. You could use an input Zwave device like a Mimolite wired to your open collector output, then the Mimolite triggers the other Z-wave hub alarm if tripped, could possibly work.

It would be a complicated setup with only one function really out of the 2GIG panel.

Thanks, Jason.

Can I pm you or pm me with your email so I can send photos? Then we can explore our options.

Photos of the panel board/wiring can be posted here.

Basically the photos would be to confirm whether a Take-345 module is connected to the system or not.

If you are looking for Alarm.com integration, this page goes over how to connect an Alarm.com compatible system to our service, especially 2GIG systems.

Here are the photos, thanks.

two more…should be noted the photo of concord box does not show two antennas up top.

last.

last again lol.

Yep, you have a TAKE-345 (although it should not be inside the metal case, deteriorates the wireless signal to the 2GIG panel)

The Takeover module reuses wired sensor zones and turns them into wireless zones communicating with the 2GIG panel. The Concord itself would just be used for aux power for sensors and the takeover module, along with the battery charging circuit. The panel being monitored would be the 2GIG panel.

This page would go over everything you would need to get started.

The best bet if you want to use a 2GIG panel by itself without a subscription is finding a way to utilize the dry contact open collector output which can be programmed to activate on alarms...

Jason, I’m assuming this can be programmed through the installer code interface under q78 output?

...and another off-the-shelf device like a Zwave controller that allows you to set up notifications and an email contact, etc. You could use an input Zwave device like a Mimolite wired to your open collector output, then the Mimolite triggers the other Z-wave hub alarm if tripped, could possibly work.

Is the Zwave controller and Mimolite you’re referring to one and the same or two different devices?
The “other Zwave hub alarm” in this scenario would be the 2gig panel?

...would be a complicated setup with only one function really out of the 2GIG panel.

Would all the sensors work to sound the alarm and send email notification?

...these panels are not intended for use without a subscription through a back-end service provider. (At least if notifications are desired, without a subscription they can only really be a noisemaker)

How would a subscription through surety uncomplicate this setup? What additional devices would be needed with the subscription plan and could i get phone assistance in setting up?

Thanks.

I’m assuming this can be programmed through the installer code interface under q78 output?

Yes. Q78 would determine when the output trips.

Is the Zwave controller and Mimolite you’re referring to one and the same or two different devices? The “other Zwave hub alarm” in this scenario would be the 2gig panel?

No, the Z-wave controller would be something like Vera or Smart things. This would be the “other Z-wave hub”

The point of using another controller is that the 2GIG panel is just a noisemaker if you are not using a service provider. You can’t program it by itself to send emails, etc. We do not sell or individually support other Z-wave controllers, however. suretyDIY is an Alarm.com Interactive service and monitoring provider.

Would all the sensors work to sound the alarm and send email notification?

No, the 2GIG Panel itself would not be able to be programmed to accomplish this without a communication module and a back-end service provider.

How would a subscription through surety uncomplicate this setup? What additional devices would be needed with the subscription plan and could i get phone assistance in setting up?

Interactive Alarm.com service is what gives you the ability to set up notifications and have control of the system through the ADC app and website.

Alarm.com is one of the back-end services that have compatible cellular communication modules for the 2GIG panel. Signals from the panel are routed through Alarm.com and they organize the data in your app and website login, allowing you to view panel signal and command history, control the panel, set up notifications, etc. You can choose to have Professional 24/7 monitoring or you can self-monitor using Alarm.com notifications. Details and included features of our service plans are found here.

suretyDIY technical support is handled online on our forum. It order to use an existing 2GIG Go!Control panel with suretyDIY and Alarm.com service, this page would go over everything you would need.

Ok, just looking at my options here. What would the steps be to use my current setup and just have the 2Gig as a noisemaker?

I at least want that in place until I have more time to explore your subscription plan.

Ok, just looking at my options here. What would the steps be to use my current setup and just have the 2Gig as a noisemaker?

I at least want that in place until I have more time to explore your subscription plan.

Not a problem, certainly. If you have access to the installer code and installer settings, you have access to the panel. If the installer toolbox is not locked then you would be able to make any programming changes.

If you press the logo in the bottom right of the home screen, type the installer code, can you access system configuration?

Note: going through Security - Menu - Toolbox - Installer Code will give access to user code management so you can change user codes for arming/disarming.

Yes, I can access system config. I also have the user code but can change that. I looked up my ADC number and it shows as locked, are you saying I can unlock and stop monitoring communication? The text messages and notifications are still going to previous owners…

The text messages and notifications are still going to previous owners…

Ah, to stop all current communication you can power down the panel and physically remove the cellular module or change Q91 in programming to (0).

A module currently in use with another provider means the account is still open.

Ok, pics I posted show a Verizon ADC - no sim card. How do I remove that? Is it better to change Q91 and what do I do after that? I have already notified the provider and previous owner that I will not be using the service but the tech was stumped when there was no sim card to remove.

To Remove: Power down panel, transformer first, then battery, then unscrew the set screws holding the module board and gently remove.

You can power the panel back up, battery, then transformer. Enter programming and press go to. Press 91. Select (0)

The pic shows an intact verizon module. There aren’t removable SIM cards in the modules, the modules themselves are modular and can be removed/replaced.

Ok, there is no transformer- wired into wall. Do you mean the concord transformer or wavy transformer above that (pics earlier in thread) Then after this I should notify previous owner to cancel account so they arent still getting charged? Wouldn’t this process trigger tamper alert? Once removal and Q91 are set, how would i test the alarm as a noisemaker? Would this process prevent me from subscribing with surety later?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right…