Switching to 2GIG GC2 vs GC3

Hello! Im kind of new to DIY but I have had a Honeywell panel for some time. Its older and I’m looking to upgrade. It seems if i get a 2GIG panel i can re-use my sensors, is this true? Most importantly, what are the differences between the GC2 and the GC3 panels?

As far as the sensors are concerned, if you are using Honeywell wireless sensors, they will indeed work with either 2GIG panel. They both use the same 345MHz wireless protocol. If you are using hardwired sensors, those can be converted to wireless via the 2GIG TAKE-345 takeover module, which is also compatible with both panels. Keep in mind this will not work for life safety devices.

As for a comparison, I’ll list out some specs of both panels and then briefly cover some pros and cons below:

2GIG GC2 Panel

• User friendly resistive touch screen (3.75” X 2.25”)
  • 60 wireless zones
  • 2 wired zones
  • Supports 8 Wireless Key Ring remotes(2GIG KEY2-345) and 4 Wireless Keypads (2GIG PAD1-345)
  • Built-in Z-Wave radio
  • Z-Wave Device to Device Association
  • Full voice response
  • Remote over-the-air (OTA) software updates
  • 64 user codes
  • Chime by zone with multiple chime settings
  • Alarm specs: 85 dB at 10ft
  • Compatible with the 2GIG TS1 Secondary Touchscreen Panel (via XCVR2-345 900MHz transceiver)
  • Compatible with Image Sensor (via XCVR2-345 900MHz transceiver)
  • WiFi Dual Path (via XCVR2-345 and 2GIG Go!Bridge)

2GIG GC3 Panel

• 7” color, capacitive touchscreen with 800 x 480 resolution
  • 100 wireless zones
  • 2 wired zones
  • Up to 100 user codes
  • 32 Keyfobs (2GIG KEY2-345) and 4 Keypads (2GIG PAD1-345)
  • Z-wave radio (up to 232 devices)
  • Full voice response
  • Firmware Updates via USB
  • Chime by zone with multiple chime settings
  • Wifi Dual Path(currently not enabled)

While the two panels share a large amount of basic functions and features, The GC3 is intended to be a “premium” offering by comparison. Its readily apparent with its superior touchscreen and emergency buttons. With it’s built in mounting level, slide in Cell Module (or cell sled) and more intuitive programming features the GC3 is also, arguably, more user friendly than the GC2. That is not to say that the GC2 is particularly to install or program (especially when compared to older hardwired panels) but the Gc3 seems more geared towards ease of use for the consumer.

There are certainly drawbacks to 2GIG’s premium offering however. At the time of this writing, it lacks some compatibility and features that the GC2 enjoys. The GC2 has a compatible Secondary Touchscreen Keypad (TS1) can utilize Image Sensors, is fully compatible with the Alarm.com T2000 Z-wave thermostat and is also compatible with a variety of Z-Wave locks including Schlage, Yale and Kwikset.

By comparison, the GC3 does not currently have a compatible secondary panel, aside from the PAD1-345, although one is in the works with no release information. It does not work with the Image Sensors although those too are in the works (release TBD). While some have had limited success with the Alarm.com T2000 thermostat it is not fully compatible yet, which will have to be addressed through firmware (EDIT: T2000 now compatible via firmware). Finally, at the time of this writing, only the Kwikset brand (particularly the 910, 912, 914 and 916 models) are officially compatible with the GC3.

Most of these issues, we’re told, are being addressed but currently there is no ETA for any of these fixes.

Ultimately, they are both good choices. If secondary touchscreen keypads, or any of the GC2 only devices, are a must and you can not wait, then go with the GC2. It is a reliable panel with lots of nice features.
If you’re looking for a panel with a better touch screen and is easier to work with (and you dont mind waiting for compatibility fixes) then the GC3 would be a good purchase.