Succesful SW upgrade on previous Vivint GC2 but now dead

I ended contract with Vivint in October and got a transfer cable and unassigned modem. I upgraded to newest SW following the instructions and all seemed working yesterday with the old Vivint modem on new software. Signed up for account this AM but I cannot get the panel to respond with either the old Vivint modem nor the other one? I tried the 45 second reset. All I get is a slight pop sound (snap sound?) when re applying power to the panel.

Any ideas?

Is the module securely fastened to the board via the set screws? Was the module swapped while the panel was powered?

Did you happen to remove or reattach the silver brick transceiver next to the module? If this was installed on the wrong pins you would likely see what you are seeing.

Try removing and reattaching both the module and the transceiver. Always be sure the panel is fully powered down before removing physical components. Any luck?

I powered down and removed and reinstalled the silver brick just in case. I had not removed it.
I removed the red and black wires (1 and 3) prior to doing anything on the GC2 panel due to the power supply being in another area of the house. Still nothing more than a spark when reattaching the red wire and a slight noise in the speaker.

I assume trying to flash it again would be useless?

I removed the red and black wires (1 and 3) prior to doing anything on the GC2 panel due to the power supply being in another area of the house. Still nothing more than a spark when reattaching the red wire and a slight noise in the speaker.

A couple things:

Never remove or attach live wires at the panel. Always unplug the transformer regardless of its location. It is remarkably easy to cause shorts and damage if the wires are carrying voltage.

The power input for the GC2 goes into +14VDC and -14VDC, which are terminals 1 and 2.

Ok lesson learned on the transformer. However, before I go for terminals 1 and 2, I want to be certain. I took pictures before I started and my system has looked like this from day 1 with red on 14+ and black on Ground. Please confirm

Yep, GND terminals are linked, but the power input for the GC2 should go into +14VDC and -14VDC, which are terminals 1 and 2. Always follow the manufacturer’s installation manual if there are any questions on physical installation. (page 19)

Ok. SO I have followed the manufacturer’s install now rather than the previously working Vivint install and still no power up. Assuming I shorted something, is there an inline fuse on the back side that is worth seeking out and replacing? Or am I done with this panel and it is a “brick”.

Worst case scenario, if I buy a replacement from you guys you will program it? I took pictures of each of the pages of the screens available.

Further disclosure, I had a Brinks system panel that Vivint took over when they brought the GCs controller. So I have some wired door sensors, and other various items that feed into a box in the closet and this controller is in the bedroom. Don’t know if that will affect “routine” programming or not

A replacement panel would need to be programmed on site. A backup and restore process through Alarm.com is available, but it does not look like the current panel has communicated at all, and we would need to be able to run a backup.

It does unfortunately sound like there was likely damage if you have the transceiver and module removed from the panel and it still does not boot up. Other hail mary suggestions would be to make sure that the set screw from the top or module did not fall and get wedged inside, as that could short portions of the board. Also, try removing all additional wires like the bell wires attached in your image to fully isolate the panel.

There would be no standard troubleshooting if electrical damage occurred.

It was on Vivint until late October, will there be availability from ADC thru my account while it was there? The top screw did fall in while I was working on it and very well may be the culprit (along with me :frowning: ). I did power it up while it was in there and then shook it out of the panel when I couldn’t find it to reattach.

Sending the panel to you would do no good either, correct?

So I will be reprogramming a replacement panel on my own anyway if I cannot get this one going I guess. I should just get the best deal I can on the panel. I dont suppose I can suspend the subscription I started today until all is working?

will there be availability from ADC thru my account while it was there?

No, we would not be able to access data from another dealer. ADC account security would prohibit this kind of sharing of info.

Sending the panel to you would do no good either, correct?

Correct. We would not be able to resolve the electrical damage.

So I will be reprogramming a replacement panel on my own anyway if I cannot get this one going I guess. I should just get the best deal I can on the panel. I dont suppose I can suspend the subscription I started today until all is working?

You are able to use compatible equipment purchased from any vendor, so we always encourage the best deals (panels can be found used, but I would typically recommend going with reputable vendors to ensure a warranty comes with the device).

suretyDIY service cannot be pro-rated and the Alarm.com service cannot be paused, but our service is completely month to month, so if it might be more than a month you could always cancel and sign up again later.

If you have photos of all the sensor programming that should definitely make things a little easier, and we would be happy to assist with instructions! This thread goes over common 2GIG Sensor programming steps along with video tutorials. Let us know if you need any programming advice.

The hardwired sensors would be used in conjunction with a TAKE-345 hardwired takeover module. The TAKE-345 programming steps can be found here.

I am assuming I wont need a new TAKE-345 since that was used by Vivint and is in the closet. Should I be worried that a short in the the panel also harmed the TAKE-345?

No, the TAKE-345 is powered off of the old wired panel box or a separate power supply and would be unaffected. It is not connected physically to the GC2 (shouldn’t be anyway, and you did not have any wires in the image which would suggest something other than a third party bell was being powered off the GC2)

Got a new panel and it is working in that it powers up and communicates with ADC. My problem now is the instructions to recognize all the sensors and zwave devices have to be programmed in and it is daunting and confusing to me to say the least. Are there youtubes to program?

Update: Got it all hooked up and communicating except the Z wave Kwikset locks. can you determine if what I have done has been backed up with ADC?
Any suggestions on the Zwave locks. Do I need to remove them and place them next to the GC2?

Yes, automatic backups are run when the panel communicates its device list. The currently visible devices are backed up.

If you try to learn in a Z-wave device and it does not succeed it may be necessary to use the Remove Device function first.

Z-wave devices save the parent network link when paired with a controller, and unless manually cleared in this way it will be unavailable to add to another network. Even if new, devices are sometimes tested in the manufacture process.

On the panel go to Services – Z-wave – Wrench Icon – Remove Device.
Perform the learning procedure on the lock.
You should see an indication on your Controller that the “device was removed” from another network.

You can then proceed to add the device.

Locks must be removed/added within 6 feet of the controller.

Thanks a lot! Even though a different (new) GC2 panel, i had to use that panel to remove the locks from the old non working panel. It was a breeze, once you told me that.