Help Forum

SmartThings and IQ Panel 2

Support SmartThings and IQ Panel 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mancolt
    Participant

I’m looking for more home automation/customization than the alarm.com automation allows. In particular, I’m looking to install a GE Z wave Plus in-wall motion sensor smart switch, but have the profiles/activity differ depending on time of day. That’s possible with a ST hub, but not with the alarm.com options. And I can’t do any fairly complex rules or anything through alarm.com.

I’ve been considering a SmartThings hub for awhile, but wanted to know if and how I integrate it with my current Z-wave device setup, which all runs through the IQ Panel 2. Every motion sensor, door sensor, garage door, and light are connected to my IQ Panel and I automate them through Schedules, Rules, and Scenes on alarm.com. But customization is pretty limited.

My questions are:

1. If I think about it in terms of a primary/secondary relationship, which device would each be (ST Hub and IQ Panel)? I’m guessing one of them just becomes a “repeater” of sorts?
    2. Can I keep all of my existing sensors but still setup ST rules to run based on activity from those sensors to operate lights, locks, garage doors, etc?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

If I think about it in terms of a primary/secondary relationship, which device would each be (ST Hub and IQ Panel)? I’m guessing one of them just becomes a “repeater” of sorts?

Happy to help!

In general if you are looking to add additional features in parallel to a Z-wave network, you would be adding a new primary controller. The one you currently use (the alarm panel) would be the secondary. The primary controller would be the one with wider compatibility.

All devices would be learned into the primary, and if the z-wave versions and firmware plays nice (compatibility is not always guaranteed) the primary controller shares its device list with the panel, and the panel can then only control the devices it is compatible with.

No, the secondary controller does not act as a repeater. Commands through one controller are not filtered through another, they act as independent controllers for the devices.

Can I keep all of my existing sensors but still setup ST rules to run based on activity from those sensors to operate lights, locks, garage doors, etc?

The Qolsys panel will not share alarm sensor data via Z-wave. SmartThings would not be able to see the status of alarm sensors.

vxiii
    Participant

Hi,

I tried getting smart things working as a secondary controller with my IQ panel about a year ago. I could get it to pair but for whatever reason it wouldn’t stay paired for very long. I was just trying to setup some timed rules around our garage door opener that are not avaible via alarm.com (close the garage door every night at 9pm for example). I still wanted the ability to control via ADC and the app as well though. Eventually one would seem to “win out” and that would be the only way I could control.

I haven’t tried in a long time though to get it working and things might be different particularly with ST and all the changes it has under gone in the past year.

Mancolt
    Participant

HI vxiii – That’s pretty much exactly what I want it for too. I like that my rules all utilize my security sensors, but I want some more complex time based rules. For instance, change the mode that a light switch is in depending on the time of day. So a bedroom switch with a built-in light sensor and motion sensor could be set to ignore motion late at night, but during the day have the mode changed so it reacts to motion and uses the amount of ambient light to determine whether to turn the switch on. ST allows some more complex automation, but I don’t want to double up and put ST sensors everywhere I already have security sensors.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“Could not recommend enough. The service is excellent and the price is unbeatable. We switched from another company where we felt like we were being taken advantage of; but not with Surety! This has been the best move for home security.”

Melissa C. , Citrus Heights, CA , Yelp , 4/26/2018
Five out of five star rating.

“These guys know what they are talking about. They were able to answer all of my questions and help me design a great, affordable home security/automation system. They’ve been just as helpful even after the sale in answering any of my questions.”

Nick A. , Columbus, OH , Google Review
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.