SmartThings and IQ Panel 2

I’m looking for more home automation/customization than the alarm.com automation allows. In particular, I’m looking to install a GE Z wave Plus in-wall motion sensor smart switch, but have the profiles/activity differ depending on time of day. That’s possible with a ST hub, but not with the alarm.com options. And I can’t do any fairly complex rules or anything through alarm.com.

I’ve been considering a SmartThings hub for awhile, but wanted to know if and how I integrate it with my current Z-wave device setup, which all runs through the IQ Panel 2. Every motion sensor, door sensor, garage door, and light are connected to my IQ Panel and I automate them through Schedules, Rules, and Scenes on alarm.com. But customization is pretty limited.

My questions are:

1. If I think about it in terms of a primary/secondary relationship, which device would each be (ST Hub and IQ Panel)? I’m guessing one of them just becomes a “repeater” of sorts?
  2. Can I keep all of my existing sensors but still setup ST rules to run based on activity from those sensors to operate lights, locks, garage doors, etc?
If I think about it in terms of a primary/secondary relationship, which device would each be (ST Hub and IQ Panel)? I’m guessing one of them just becomes a “repeater” of sorts?

Happy to help!

In general if you are looking to add additional features in parallel to a Z-wave network, you would be adding a new primary controller. The one you currently use (the alarm panel) would be the secondary. The primary controller would be the one with wider compatibility.

All devices would be learned into the primary, and if the z-wave versions and firmware plays nice (compatibility is not always guaranteed) the primary controller shares its device list with the panel, and the panel can then only control the devices it is compatible with.

No, the secondary controller does not act as a repeater. Commands through one controller are not filtered through another, they act as independent controllers for the devices.

Can I keep all of my existing sensors but still setup ST rules to run based on activity from those sensors to operate lights, locks, garage doors, etc?

The Qolsys panel will not share alarm sensor data via Z-wave. SmartThings would not be able to see the status of alarm sensors.

Hi,

I tried getting smart things working as a secondary controller with my IQ panel about a year ago. I could get it to pair but for whatever reason it wouldn’t stay paired for very long. I was just trying to setup some timed rules around our garage door opener that are not avaible via alarm.com (close the garage door every night at 9pm for example). I still wanted the ability to control via ADC and the app as well though. Eventually one would seem to “win out” and that would be the only way I could control.

I haven’t tried in a long time though to get it working and things might be different particularly with ST and all the changes it has under gone in the past year.

HI vxiii - That’s pretty much exactly what I want it for too. I like that my rules all utilize my security sensors, but I want some more complex time based rules. For instance, change the mode that a light switch is in depending on the time of day. So a bedroom switch with a built-in light sensor and motion sensor could be set to ignore motion late at night, but during the day have the mode changed so it reacts to motion and uses the amount of ambient light to determine whether to turn the switch on. ST allows some more complex automation, but I don’t want to double up and put ST sensors everywhere I already have security sensors.

Is there a step by step guide for adding the SmartThings hub as a primary hub and Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ as a secondary hub?

Thanks!

There is no step by step available for that specific integration at this time, though I am going to push this as a request to make it easier in the future. Different controllers will have similar steps, but their software and various versions will have differences in both the exact steps taken and possibly the likelihood of success. Some controllers don’t play as well with one another and software versions may affect that too.

In general we have heard success from Smart Things integration attempts.

Under Settings > Advanced > Installation > Devices > Z-wave you will find full controls for adding and shifting controller pairing and ownership. Use the add/remove controller button to pair. Shift to transfer primary/secondary.

The exact steps on the Smart Things controller will be determined by its software.

Mancolt,

Did you ever get Smart Things setup as a primary or secondary controller with ADC? Any luck with keeping ADC app access and still having some more granular controller over rules with Smart Things (as either primary or secondary controller)

We have a How To for this now.