Skybell HD ADC

Will the skybell HD with adc , sound a doorbell on the gc2 panel when activated? Is this even an option to be programmed?

Thank you

No, the SkyBell HD operates independently of the panel so there is no way to program the SkyBell HD in to the panel to achieve the outcome you are looking for.

Is there a separate chime box, a wireless one that could be purchased so the doorbell could be heard ?

The Skybell HD still activates your existing hardwired doorbell chime (just not on the alarm panel).

Related, what is the difference between the “Outdoor Chime” (“the doorbell chime outside the home”) and “Digital Door Chime” (“the digital chime on the doorbell”) options? Seems like the same thing so I must be misunderstanding one.

Digital Door Chime is a setting for if you do not have a mechanical chime inside the home. If you have a digital chime, as in a speaker that plays a chime sound instead of a physical striker, then an adapter is required to use it with the Skybell and that digital door chime setting must be switched on.

Thanks Jason, makes sense.

Well unfortunately vivint disconnected my chime box when they installed their doorbell camera, what would my options be now? I would need to be able to hear the doorbell inside , does skybell have a product like the chime used with ring?

Well unfortunately vivint disconnected my chime box when they installed their doorbell camera, what would my options be now?

Reconnecting the chime would be fine. Do you have a mechanical or digital chime?

does skybell have a product like the chime used with ring?

I’m guessing you are referring to a wireless chime of some kind? I do not believe so but to clarify, please link the auxiliary chime device you are referring to.

My original doorbell and chime box was completely removed in our current remodel. I have no chime to reattach. Are there any options other than buying a new "regular doorbell and chime, installing it, taking it back out and then installing the SkyBell? This seems kind of ridiculous.

Perhaps a better question would be what would be the best stand alone camera to put up instead of the SkyBell?

Are there any options other than buying a new “regular doorbell and chime, installing it, taking it back out and then installing the SkyBell? This seems kind of ridiculous.

Can you clarify the concern?

The Skybell cannot operate only on battery and must be powered, and it uses the voltage from the standard doorbell transformer for that, so if there is no wiring for a doorbell, or if the transformer was removed, yes, at the very least you’ll need to re-wire and supply power.

If the wiring remains, there is no step to take it back out as the Skybell would be activating any regular doorbell chime that can be installed. Any mechanical chime would be fine without any special requirement.

The chime is just to have a local announcement in the home if the doorbell is pressed, as any normal doorbell.

Perhaps a better question would be what would be the best stand alone camera to put up instead of the SkyBell?

The Skybell HD is the only Alarm.com compatible doorbell camera.

If you are not looking for two way communication through the Skybell and instead are just looking for video recording solutions, an Alarm.com ADC-V721W and a 2GIG Wireless Doorbell button would work, (looks like this is likely regarding a 2GIG panel) with recording schedules created in ADC to record a clip when the button is pressed, and the control panel acting as the chime. The 2GIG doorbell button can simply run off of battery.

The ADC-V721W would need to be wired for power however.

My original doorbell and chime box was completely removed in our current remodel.

Indeed I would take a close look at what was removed - if you had an existing doorbell it would be extra work to actually remove the doorbell transformer and wire, and the Ring has limited functionality if it is running battery only (plus you have to recharge it occasionally). It’s possible that they only removed the chime (or replaced it with a wireless Ring chime, though again, I’m not understanding this since a wired chime would work fine with Ring). In any case if the transformer and wiring are still there it’s just a matter of hooking them back up. If they are gone, a doorbell transformer plus chime runs about $40, but it can definitely be a pain to rerun the doorbell wire.

What Jason outlined with a ADC-V721W and a 2GIG Doorbell is probably the next best solution, but you’ll need to run power for the camera anyway, so maybe not that much easier than running a doorbell wire.

Of course you could continue to use a Ring (not sure if you would have to get a new non Vivint one) but with no ADC integration.

The transformer and wiring to the front door area was retained.

The transformer and wiring to the front door area was retained.

That’s good news, that’s the harder one, at least it was for my install. So you could get a chime and would just need to get the wire from the transformer. Cheap chime, or nice chime examples.

If they hooked up the Ring to the transformer without a chime there will probably be a resistor you’ll need to remove. If the Ring is not hooked up to the transformer you would probably just have to hook it up according to this diagram http://www.skybell.com/content/uploads/2016/08/SB_doorbell_both.pdf

That’s good news, that’s the harder one, at least it was for my install. So you could get a chime and would just need to get the wire from the transformer. Cheap chime, or nice chime examples.

If they hooked up the Ring to the transformer without a chime there will probably be a resistor you’ll need to remove. If the Ring is not hooked up to the transformer you would probably just have to hook it up according to this diagram http://www.skybell.com/content/uploads/2016/08/SB_doorbell_both.pdf

If I am reading correctly, the second poster has not mentioned a Ring or other vendor, that was a previous post. I think in this case the chime was removed due to other remodeling correct?

However, the instruction would be the same, and the linked diagram is great and all that would be needed to connect a new chime. You would just need to have access to those wires.

Thanks Jason, did not notice it was a new poster :slight_smile:

Just curious… I’d like to use the Skybell to 1) work normally through ADC with alerts for motion, 2 way communication, etc… as it was designed for. But also 2) to work with my 2gig GC3 so that at night if it detects motion it can trigger the zwave porch light to come on. Is this possible with the skybell? If not, are there any other video doorbells that will work this way?

Thanks,
Mike

You can create an event triggered automation rule to automate your light whenever the doorbell camera detects motion (or is pressed). You can turn the light on indefinitely or for a set time. This can be set to trigger at all times or during specific times as well.