Set motions to notify but not alarm when armed/away

I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found an answer to this yet. Is there a way to configure the interior motion detectors to do the following, using the 2GIG panel? This may be more of an Alarm.com question.

• With system armed/stay, no response
  • With armed/away, motions do not trigger an alarm, but will cause the panel to send a notification (text message) that activity was detected.

I have 2 cats and really don’t want them to cause false alarms. I’ve had the sensors set to no response for about 6 months just to test them. In that time I’ve had 1 false trigger. That’s 1 too many for me.

So my goal is to monitor the motions myself. If only 1 is triggered, I’ll assume it is a cat. If more than 1 sensor is triggered, I would consider that a person.

One other idea was to configure motions as the cross-sensors in ID’s 47/48 where 2 motions would need to be triggered before setting the alarm off. But that would depend on the intruder moving through the house fast enough to trigger those 2 motions in the 120-second time period.

I’m not aware of any way to do what you’re looking for although we have requested that capability multiple times from Alarm.com and 2GIG for exactly your situation. Currently, these are the only methods I know of to run this kind of experiment:

The best solution might be to use an Alarm.com image sensor so you can see what triggered the alarm before dispatching the police. It would still trigger an alarm and drive your poor cats crazy though. If you go that route I would also recommend using a Go!Bridge so the images will come through faster.

I like the cross-zone idea other than the weakness you pointed out about the intruder’s behavior. What about a cross-zone between a Honeywell 5898 and an Alarm.com image sensor in the same room? The 5898 would make false alarms less likely and the image sensor would give you visual verification? Of course, now we’re talking about a significant investment in motion detectors for just 1 room.

– With system armed/stay, no response
– With armed/away, motions do not trigger an alarm, but will cause the panel to send a notification (text message) that activity was detected.

A viable option may be to use second generation PIR motion detectors (image sensors) programmed as zone type 23 (no response, instead of interior follower, or delay), and rule for “capture events when armed away”, and setting notifications.

That way, PIR motion does not activate alarms, and will only send email notifications with image capture of what activated detector when panel is armed away (or when another alarm initiating sensor or fixed panic is alarmed, AND the PIR motion detects movement in its lense).

Alternatively, another option to achieve what you want is with a camera In lieu of a PIR motion. You can set it to use VMD (video motion detection) when Only armed in away mode, and set notifications for text only, or image, or video clip.

The cameras will not activate alarms, can be set to not record VMD when panel is armed stay or disarmed, and be customized for notifications. On eBay you can get a V610PT, V510 for around $25-$50, or even a HD 720p V520IR (best bet) for $100 or so.

Thanks for the ideas, will definitely look into the image sensors. At some point I want a video or image sensor, but I like to have a good plan before buying a bunch of equipment. Plus tinkering helps me learn the different settings that can be used.

I think for now I’m going to set up a geo-fence. When everyone is outside the fence, it will hopefully send notifications for any motion or garage door tilt-sensor activity. That prevents those sensors from triggering a false alarm, but I still get a notification that’s worth a neighborly peek from a distance. The thought is that motions would be used to confirm someone got in, not for primary detection. For that, I’m leaning more toward the DW sensors that have the secondary loop wired to a shock/break sensor.

Rive, how do you create a rule for “capture events when armed away”, and setting notifications? I just had my alarm company enable the Automation tab/feature on alarm.com, but it doesn’t let me create new rules. It just says “No rule.” and I don’t see an option to make one.

Are you looking to capture images via the Image Sensor when the panel is armed away? Typically new rules are created via Automation -> Rules -> Add New Rule. However the “Capture While Panel is Armed Away” Rule should be automatically created when an image sensor is enrolled (and if your Alarm.com account supports it).

I don’t have the image sensor version - just a standard 2GIG PIR1-345 - Wireless PIR Motion Detector. When you say new rules are created - is this done on the panel, alarm.com, or the app? I’ve checked all places and don’t see “Add new rule” as an option. I’ve attached what I see under automation on alarm.com.

When you say new rules are created – is this done on the panel, alarm.com, or the app? I’ve checked all places and don’t see “Add new rule” as an option. I’ve attached what I see under automation on alarm.com.

Automation rules are created on the Alarm.com website, and they require that you have compatible automation devices attached to your system/account. This could be Z-wave devices, MyQ garage, Lutron lighting, etc. What are you trying to automate?

Keep in mind that the features you have access to would be determined by your service provider. Individual device categories can be enabled/disabled by providers. You would want to verify what your service plan supports by contacting your current service provider.

Ultimately though there may be some confusion. “Capture events when armed away” refers specifically to Image Sensor image capture rules. You do not set basic sensor programming in Alarm.com. If you are looking to set a notification when a motion detector is activated, you would just use the Notifications page.