Service through suretyDIY with Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus

Hi,

I’m researching the best options for a security system. I would like to install a security system, home automation and video cameras indoor and outdoor (including video doorbells). I am interested in the Qolsys Panel 2 Plus. How do I know which Qolsys Power G Panel 2 Plus to purchase? There are are so many different options. Do I need AT&T or Verizon version? Also what type of door and window sensors and other equipment do I need? I plan to install the system in stages. Stage 1 - Security, stage 2- Home Automation and Stage 3 - Video Cameras.

Thank you

Happy to help! Our do-it-yourself security alarm monitoring works anywhere in the United States and items ship from Columbus, Ohio.

Service through Surety, can be found here and can be purchased with, or without, 24/7 central station monitoring.

I am interested in the Qolsys Panel 2 Plus. How do I know which Qolsys Power G Panel 2 Plus to purchase? There are are so many different options. Do I need AT&T or Verizon version?

There are several different versions of the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus. Each version comes with a PowerG radio, radio that correspond to various communication protocols, as well as various cell carriers. Do you have any existing wireless sensors now? If so, what type? Are there any hardwired sensors in use currently?

You can use this Coverage Check Tool to verify which carrier offers the best coverage for your area.

If starting completely from scratch, the IQP2Plus with S-Line (319.5MHz radio) and PowerG offers the most secure wireless communication.

If you are looking to purchase the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus, we are currently offering the IQ Panel 2 Plus along with a six month free trial of our monitoring service with the Gold Automation add on and 24/7 central station monitoring. The panel with service trial can be found here. Note the IQ Panel 2 Plus sold through Surety includes the 319.5MHz radio, PowerG radio and Verizon LTE Cellular Module.

Also what type of door and window sensors and other equipment do I need?

The amount of each sensor and type of sensor would be dependent on use case. How many Exit/Entry doors will you want to monitor? What about windows?

You may want to add life safety devices such as Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors to your panel as well.

Additionally, if your home consists of multiple levels, you may want to eventually include a secondary touchscreen panel as well.

If using the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus, you can find a list of compatible devices from our storefront.

I plan to install the system in stages. Stage 1 – Security, stage 2- Home Automation and Stage 3 – Video Cameras.

In order to utilize remote control of Z-Wave devices for Home Automation, the Gold Automation add on would be required.

If looking to add Video Cameras, the Alarm.com Cloud Video add on would be required. Level 1 includes the use of up to 4 compatible cameras and 1,000 cloud clips per month. you can find a list of compatible cameras here.

Service and additional add-ons can be viewed here.

Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year!

I do not have any existing sensors I will be using. I have decided to start from scratch since the current system is so outdated. We have purchased an old 1940’s 2 story house with plaster walls, so I would need sensors that would work under these conditions. Would Power G sensors be the best option or the s-Line? I have 3 entrance/exit doors and a 25+ windows.

Also would you recommend a newer router? Our router is an older model. If so which one would you recommend for security purposes?

Thank you!

Would Power G sensors be the best option or the s-Line? I have 3 entrance/exit doors and a 25+ windows.

The wireless sensor range on the S-Line (319.5 MHz) sensors is about 600ft (open air). This range would obviously be diminished in a typical home install, depending on the media the signal travels through and each use case is different. Metal is the biggest material to watch out for with regards to signal degradation.

The PowerG sensor range is much further in open air (1.24 Miles) but is still subject to signal degradation. The biggest difference aside from range between the S-Ling and PowerG is going to be the way the signals are encrypted.

That being said, either will likely be fine when it comes to range, depending on how far from the panel the sensor will be placed, and the environment the signal will travel through.

Also would you recommend a newer router? Our router is an older model. If so which one would you recommend for security purposes?

I would not be able to provide a recommendation on a new router make/model. We typically use routers with DD-WRT firmware such as Buffalo routers.

For security purposes, I would suggest that you change the admin credentials to something more unique/secure. I would also change the network name, or SSID, to something other than the default.

Thank you for the info. So in the end, would you recommend me buy the S-Line or the Power G? I was thinking Power G due to the two story house, but if I were to put a second panel upstairs, then I may not have the range problem. Are the Power G’s just as encrypted as the S-Line?

Power G (when used for range) is only required in extreme cases. In a normal home environment, S-Line should be just fine.

Power G is a step up in terms of security with frequency hopping. Both S-Line and Power G are fully encrypted for security.

A secondary touchscreen keypad does not improve range. The Sensors only communicate with the primary control panel.