Replacing a Sky Panel with GC3

1. I have a Vivint SkyControl panel which I think is Version 2. Can a GC3 directly replace this unit?
  2. The house I purchased has z wave cameras, wired window and door sensors (preinstalled by ADT), and a kwikset zwave lock. Can this GC3 function with all of this? I read on the forums the camera is a no go? Is say the Vivint doorbell a no go or the kwikset zwave lock a no go?
  3. Some websites say that the GC3 does not have bluetooth or Wifi connection? Is this true? Do I have to have a cellular card installed to get my connections working?
  4. I like that the current Skycontrol panel had weather updates. However, after the prior owner cancelled service I no longer get weather updates? Are the updates for the GC3 via cellular or wifi?
  5. If I buy the system, do i have to get monitoring?

Happy to help! A similar thread can be found here for general info on switching.

I have a Vivint SkyControl panel which I think is Version 2. Can a GC3 directly replace this unit?

The GC3 is comptible with 345Mhz sensors. Many sensors used by the company in question have been 345Mhz and can be reused with the GC3.

The house I purchased has z wave cameras, wired window and door sensors (preinstalled by ADT), and a kwikset zwave lock. Can this GC3 function with all of this? I read on the forums the camera is a no go? Is say the Vivint doorbell a no go or the kwikset zwave lock a no go?

Wired sensors are likely tied in using a wired to wireless translator, and it may in fact just be the TAKE-345. This would typically be found near where your old panel case was installed, often in the basement. Zones on a TAKE-345 can be directly added to the GC3.

Most non-sensor peripherals are not compatible. The doorbell camera is not compatible, and existing video cams would not be compatible. The Kwikset lock could be reused, but per prior reports on the forum, you would need to first clear the lock from the Sky Panel itself.

Doorbell cameras compatible with Alarm.com service are the Skybell HD and the Alarm.com Slimline Skybell.

Compatible camera models can be found here.

3. Some websites say that the GC3 does not have bluetooth or Wifi connection? Is this true? Do I have to have a cellular card installed to get my connections working?

The GC3 has built in wifi. This is used for concurrent broadband backup communication, however all Alarm.com accounts must have a cellular communication module and cannot be set up without one.

4. I like that the current Skycontrol panel had weather updates. However, after the prior owner cancelled service I no longer get weather updates? Are the updates for the GC3 via cellular or wifi?

Weather to the panel is a feature for compatible systems (like the GC3) using suretyDIY service with Gold Automation.

You would need an active service connection to a back-end service provider in order to have weather updates.

5. If I buy the system, do i have to get monitoring?

Alarm.com service is necessary for remote interaction with the system and Alarm.com app/website control/notifications, etc., however this can be purchased through suretyDIY with or without monitoring. Actual 24/7 Central Station monitoring is an optional add-on.