Remote and Siren Wiring

Hi,

Im setting up a new qolsys system and trying to use as much existing wiring from the old wired system as possible. I just purchased the IQ remote and note that it only has a barrel connector. Is there a way that I can use this with the previous wiring that is running through the wall? I can easily hook it to the power supply in the basement, but can’t figure out how to get the wires to work with the barrel plug?

Also, I have a hardwire 16 and am having trouble getting the siren working. I’ve tested the siren using the aux output and ground and it makes noise, but when I wire it as diagrammed in the hardwire 16 diageam I get noise from the panel but nothing from the siren. Do I need to enable something on the panel to get siren output?

Thanks for your help on both questions,

Peter

I just purchased the IQ remote and note that it only has a barrel connector. Is there a way that I can use this with the previous wiring that is running through the wall?

Whenever you need to extend a power wire with a barrel connector there are a couple options:

1. Purchase male and female barrel connector pig-tails to attach to your wire
  2. Cut in the middle of the power supply cable and splice your wire in the middle

That said, the IQ Remote uses a 5VDC transformer that is not conducive to long cable runs.

Similarly the IQ Panel 2 uses 5VDC, and the manual states that 18AWG wire must be no longer than 25 feet to ensure proper power at the panel.

Existing keypad wire is likely 22AWG (smaller than 18AWG), maybe even 24 depending on the installer, and if the total cable length is anything over 10 feet you are likely to run into problems. Consider plugging into a closer outlet instead.

I can easily hook it to the power supply in the basement, but can’t figure out how to get the wires to work with the barrel plug?

Just to clarify here, be sure to never power a panel by an alternate power source. Always use the included power supply. The aux power output from an old panel is 12VDC, and the plug in power supply for most wired systems is 16.5VAC. Either will damage the IQ Remote if used.

Also, I have a hardwire 16 and am having trouble getting the siren working. I’ve tested the siren using the aux output and ground and it makes noise, but when I wire it as diagrammed in the hardwire 16 diageam I get noise from the panel but nothing from the siren. Do I need to enable something on the panel to get siren output

To clarify, the Hardwire 16 does not wirelessly receive siren triggers from the panel. The panel buzzer output must be wired into ENB and GND as shown on the installation guide. See attached.

Do you have the buzzer output from the panel connected to the Hardwire 16? If so, could you post a photo of the wiring, we’ll be happy to look for any issues.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I’ll try to wire to a nearby outlet.

I’ve got wires running from the ENB and GND of the panel to the hardwire 16. The image is attached.

Orange wire - to panel terminal siren (-) - terminal 8
Pink wire (R) - to panel terminal siren (+) - terminal 7
Pink wire (L) - to siren (+)
Tan wire - to siren (-)

Thanks,

Peter

Ahh, I see what is likely the issue. Note that unlike the original IQ Panel, the IQ Panel 2 does not output 12VDC on the siren terminals directly. The siren terminals act as a relay for a separate power supply.

Try this:

Move the wire in ENB to the first AUX. Move the wire in the end GND (next to ENB) to ENB. GNDs should all be connected in the terminal block already. Try an alarm then. Any luck?

Hi,

Your suggestion worked well, except I’m still having one issue. When the alarm is triggered, the siren functions as expected. However, when I deactivate the alarm, the siren continues to make noise until I pull the siren out at the hardwire box. Any idea why this would be happening?

Also, I got the IQ remote set up, but am unable to get any chimes or voice notifications on it. I can’t seem to find a setting that would enable this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

Your suggestion worked well, except I’m still having one issue. When the alarm is triggered, the siren functions as expected. However, when I deactivate the alarm, the siren continues to make noise until I pull the siren out at the hardwire box. Any idea why this would be happening?

Hmm, well the IQ Panel 2 terminals are intended to directly switch current to the siren itself so you could just try bypassing ENB altogether.

Try just wiring it based on the diagram attached. You would just be switching the GND connection to the siren with the panel terminals.

Also, I got the IQ remote set up, but am unable to get any chimes or voice notifications on it. I can’t seem to find a setting that would enable this. Any ideas?

The IQ Remote will share the Voice and Chime characteristics of the IQ Panel 2. You can find settings on the IQ Panel 2 under Settings - Advanced - Sound.