Recurring Low Battery Alerts

I offer up yet another weird occurrence. Our house in TX was directly impacted by Hurricane Harvey. While we suffered significant damage, the house is still standing, and we are much better off than many. At this point, the roof is tarped and all the shattered windows and doors are boarded shut. And, finally, we have power, water and cell service again, although no landlines. The inside of the house, where the panel is, was scoured by 140+ mph wind and rain, including much salt water. Immediately after the hurricane, the panel was working, although it could not connect because the cell towers had been destroyed. By the time the cell towers had been repaired or replaced and the power returned (about 2.5 weeks), the panel remained incommunicato and appeared dead. No lights, no response, etc. The buttons also seemed “loose”. However, today, more than 5 weeks later, the panel woke up and appears to be operating normally and connecting to the ADC system. Great! However, now it seems to be giving me serial low battery alerts followed by end of low battery alerts. It has gone through this cycle 3 times this morning. Any ideas what is going on?

Well, first I am sorry to hear the damage sustained. I am very surprised to hear that the panel is still functioning! I would expect water damage inside the panel given the description.

The low battery alerts may well be a symptom of the damage sustained. If the panel remained powered but inactive for a time, then came back on randomly, that makes me think there was water damage or shorting inside the panel or at the transformer.

Do you notice any physical damage inside the panel? Try unplugging the alarm panel, unplugging the battery, leave it powered off for a minute and check the battery/battery connector/circuit board for water damage. Then plug in the battery, followed by the plug-in transformer. Does this resolve the battery alerts or do they continue?

Do you have power fluctuations right now? Do you notice flickering lights in the home, etc?

The home is not livable and all furniture has been removed. I have not experienced any power fluctuations while we have been on site since the event, but I would not be surprised. Next time, I am there I will open it up. The last time (a week ago), the panel looked dead. I just checked that there was indeed power to it (which there was) then left it as is. As I said, I presumed it was kaput. I believe the panel was inactive for about a month. It is now going through a 4th low battery alter cycle. Otherwise, it appears to be functioning. Might it have simply dried out over time. I do note that immediately after the hurricane, when it should have been wettest, it was functioning. Should I plan on replacing this panel?

It has gone through 5 cycles so far this morning. It appears that I get a call from the monitoring station every time it signals low battery. I am not really sure why. They have put it on test mode, but that only lasts 72 hours. It will likely be 2 weeks before I am physically there again. All repairs are waiting on the insurance company, which is completely overwhelmed. Is there any way to manage this?

We’re happy to help, of course. If you need it to be placed on test for an extended period, please let us know and request how long you would like test mode to be via a secure message to our team.

Might it have simply dried out over time. I do note that immediately after the hurricane, when it should have been wettest, it was functioning. Should I plan on replacing this panel?

My concern would be that water damage can short connections and cause longer-term issues with electronics. I would be surprised if the panel came through without some form of lasting damage. I would expect replacement to be the best option given what occurred. You could always keep an eye on it for a while and see if it does in fact function normally without interruption, however the safest option would be eventual replacement.