Questions on Z-Wave for Qolsys IQ 2 plus

I have S-line and PowerG sensors working fine on my Qolsys IQ 2 panel and I am now ready to expand into Z-Wave devices.
I am ready to start small to learn about how they work.
I would first like to get an indoor z-wave light switch to control an outside circuit that has 3 lights on it.
Now Qolsys consistently markets its z-wave plus capability but when I looked up each of the “compatible z-wave devices” (ex. for light switches) they are all just z-wave (non-plus).
Evolve (LSM-15, LTM-5)
Jasco/GE (45709, 45710, 12723, 45610WB)
Linear (WS15Z-1)

I see Alarm.com “compatible devices” does list the Jasco 14318 and Go Control WS15Z5-1 which are both z-wave plus (but only 2 choices).

So what z-wave plus light switches can I reliably use with my Qolysys IQ 2 plus panel?

For light switches, usually any single function Z-wave+ switch or dimmer will work. Light switches are very simple when compared to locks and thermostats and there aren’t a lot of concerns with functionality.

The Qolsys list is the officially tested and confirmed list of devices that they support. It does not rule out others when it comes to lights.

For locks and thermostats you should stick to the list though, as they require more specific software support.

Thanks for the response Jason.
Since you italicized ‘usually’ I have a couple more questions.

• What do you mean by single function and what is an example of single vs. something else?
  • I see most of the z wave switches are rocker (decora) type, I do see some online that are toggle, my home is all toggle so it would be difficult to have toggle and rocker in the same junction box (could be possible if I really had too…) . Is there any issue using toggle style?
  • The choices for z wave switches can be over whelming. Any brand/model recommendations (rocker and toggle)?

My understanding is that Z-wave+ is “all or none” so to say when it comes to taking advantage of all of the z-wave+ features the devices offer. If one standard z-wave device is in the network, then the plus device may be limited on some features. For this reason I find it strange Qolsys isn’t more clear on their compatible devices. I would think since they market z-wave+ capability of the IQ2 panel so strongly they would ensure recommending up to date z-wave+ compatible products to get the most customer satisfaction from their system overall.
Strangely even the Alarm.com recommended z-wave+ Jasco 14318 is about 4 years old. It’s not even on their website anymore. Seems the process could be made easier by Qolsys and Alarm.com for rookies like me by expanding their compatible lists and clearly stating standard z-wave vs. plus models.

What do you mean by single function and what is an example of single vs. something else?

If the switch is just a binary on off switch controlling one load, or a dimmer controlling one load, it would be difficult to find an incompatible one.

Some specialty switches exist that act as scene controllers or control more than one load (two switches in one) which would definitely not be compatible.

I see most of the z wave switches are rocker (decora) type, I do see some online that are toggle, my home is all toggle so it would be difficult to have toggle and rocker in the same junction box (could be possible if I really had too….) . Is there any issue using toggle style?

I haven’t tested toggle models with the IQ Panel 2, but there should be no difference in operation.

The choices for z wave switches can be over whelming. Any brand/model recommendations (rocker and toggle)?

Well typically we would recommend going by the manufacturer’s compatibility list :slight_smile:

I usually stick with GE/Jasco for my own switches. They have a toggle Z-wave plus option in the GE 14292.

Strangely even the Alarm.com recommended z-wave+ Jasco 14318 is about 4 years old. It’s not even on their website anymore. Seems the process could be made easier by Qolsys and Alarm.com for rookies like me by expanding their compatible lists and clearly stating standard z-wave vs. plus models.

Alarm.com’s compatibility list is again a tested and confirmed list of recommended devices for ease of use. It does not preclude other models of lights.

They are also speaking across a wide variety of panels, and ADC’s list is tailored more for the Z-wave networks of panels in which the Z-wave radio is built into the ADC module, like GE/Simon panels, SEMS, etc.

I think we might be able to put together a good list of recommendations though and test more models. We’ll suggest this to ADC and Qolsys, but I’ll suggest we compile our list of recommendations. Stay tuned!

Thanks again Jason. I appreciate your insightful explanations on the z-wave light switches. Now I am going to give one a try.
And I hope your recommendation list comes to fruition.