Questions about Home Security and suretyDIY

I recently bought a house that had an older wireless security system. It is a DSC Impassa, with several #EV-DW4927SS sensors. Also have 2 motion sensors and a CO2 sensor. My wants are to update to a smart panel that will work with Alexa. With a little research, I found that the new smart panels work with Zwave and the older sensors will not work with these new systems. However, RES RE524X will convert the old signal into a Zwave signal. I watched your YouTube video and the task seems simple enough.

Can the motion sensors be used as well? I was looking at the Lyric system, because it can be mounted on a desktop and I am looking to place it on the headboard so that we can see who is at the front door VIA doorbell camera.

Totally new to all of this, so any insight is greatly appreciated. My wants are to be able to use my old sensors and to tell Alexa “goodnight”, having her turn off all lights and set the alarm.

It is a DSC Impassa, with several #EV-DW4927SS sensors. Also have 2 motion sensors and a CO2 sensor. My wants are to update to a smart panel that will work with Alexa.

suretyDIY is an Alarm.com service provider. The type of panel you use is largely irrelevant to Amazon Alexa integration as the integration is all on the back-end.

The Impassa is compatible with Alarm.com. If you already have an Alarm.com cellular module in the panel, you can check its cellular module number here to verify if it is unregistered.

You can view a list of panels that are compatible on our home page. The Lyric is not compatible.

With a little research, I found that the new smart panels work with Zwave and the older sensors will not work with these new systems. However, RES RE524X will convert the old signal into a Zwave signal. I watched your YouTube video and the task seems simple enough.

To clarify, no panel uses Z-wave for sensors.

Z-wave is a mesh wireless RF protocol used for light switches, thermostats, door locks, light bulbs, etc. It is not used for sensors.

Alarm sensors must use the RF protocol of the panel manufacturer. Finally the RE524X does not communicate with anything regarding Z-wave. It translates or repeats alarm sensor RF signals.

Totally new to all of this, so any insight is greatly appreciated. My wants are to be able to use my old sensors and to tell Alexa “goodnight”, having her turn off all lights and set the alarm.

Not a problem, happy to help clarify. The Alexa integration is easy and allows you to create scenes in Alarm.com and then trigger them now using Alexa.

A “Night” scene can include multiple actions, like turning off all lights, locking a door lock, and arming the system. You would then be able to tell Alexa to run the scene.

Thanks for the reply, Warren. So what would you suggest? I will look at the panels myself, but what are your thoughts for my wants? I want a touch panel that will allow me to view the doorbell camera. Would also like to be able to prop it up and the headboard like a picture frame. Want to be able to activate it and deactivate with Alexa, but using my old sensors is a must if possible.

The Alarm.com Skybell integration opens video intercom on your smartphone, not the panels. No panels at this time support that.

The panel should always be mounted with a primary focus on communication, both with home sensors and cellular signaling. It’s not typically a good idea to pick a spot before checking the signal on the panel.

DSC sensors would only natively be compatible with DSC panels, but you could use an RE524X to translate into GE or Honeywell for other panel types like Qolsys and 2GIG.

If video on the panel screen is a main desire, the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 is likely the best bet as that is a planned feature.

So the the RE524X translator can translate the 433MHz frequency that the EV-DW4927SS uses into a 2.4GHz frequency that ZigBee switches and sensors use. That being the case, can the translator be used with the 433MHz sensors to all SmartThings to recognize them?

So the the RE524X translator can translate the 433MHz frequency that the EV-DW4927SS uses into a 2.4GHz frequency that ZigBee switches and sensors use. That being the case, can the translator be used with the 433MHz sensors to all SmartThings to recognize them?

No, The RE524X does not translate into protocols like Z-wave or Zigbee as they are not used by professional alarm equipment manufacturers for sensor monitoring.

The RE524X translates existing 2GIG/Honeywell, GE, DSC or Napco into 2GIG/Honeywell, GE, or DSC. You select one sensor type and one panel type during setup.