Question re: Qolsys IQ Hardwire 16-S reliability

We have a 28-year old Moose Z1100e alarm system where the main control box on the wall of the basement has been giving us trouble for a few years and we are considering replacing it. We will also need the smoke detectors replaced as they have aged out. Not sure if I need to replace the heats.

I am leaning towards a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus system with the Hardwire 16-S box that will interface with the 16 hardwire zones that the Moose currently controls.

I have spent many, many hours researching on the Internet (and, as we all know, if it’s on the Internet, it must be true!) and on one trade web site that has as it’s focus alarm installers and their businesses, there were several comments about the reliability of the Hardwire 16-S. Several people said that a lot of their Qolsys call-backs were because of problems with the panel that required either repair or replacement, sometimes multiple times.

What do knowledgeable people here have to say on this issue?

What do knowledgeable people here have to say on this issue?

The Hardwire 16-S is a reliable way to take over hardwired zones and translate them into wireless signals for the Qolsys IQP2+. There is also the more recent Hardwire 16-F which allows for the use of Wired Smoke (not carbon) detectors as well.

The hardware itself we’ve not really seen a lot of problems. Most problems are caused due to installation mistakes. The mistakes are easy to make unfortunately.

The most common issues we tend to see with the HW16/S/F are caused by incorrect resistance on zones, changed resistance after learning in, issues related to the tamper switch (usually just not adding a jumper when needed), etc.

The Hardwire 16, in my opinion, is over-engineered, and the way it is set up causes problems for installers who rush, which is a lot of them. Instead of looking for just a set minimum and maximum resistance value for all zones, each zone’s resistance is individually measured when learned in initially and that is set as the expected resistance.

All zones must be physically installed prior to power up and not altered afterward, or you have to reset the memory and re-learn all zones. This is unlike pretty much any alarm panel I’ve worked with. As long as the instructions are followed closely though, it is usually smooth operation.

Newer versions fixed some frustrations, offering a way to wirelessly activate the siren output for example on the 16F.

Currently, purchases of the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ through Surety include a six month free trial of our Surety Home plan with professional monitoring.

Good question and answer. I have a Vista 20p, mostly hardwired, 4 Honeywell motions. I came to the conclusion that the Qolsys IQ 2 is the way to go for my upgrade. I have three panels I need to change out, and 24 zones.

@ Surety. I asked this ~ 1 year ago, do any of your managed plans include any options for private dispatch vs. police as police will not dispatch unless alarm is a “verified event”. This is the rule for Clark County (Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson cities) area.

Thank you for you answer regarding reliability of the IQ Hardwire 16 panel. It’s good to know that if installed correctly it will most likely work well.

do any of your managed plans include any options for private dispatch vs. police as police will not dispatch unless alarm is a “verified event”. This is the rule for Clark County (Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson cities) area.

We do not currently include guard dispatch services. If your local community has access to guard services (through HOA etc.) that service can be contacted by operators.

We do however offer Video Verification services now which will fulfill verified response in many areas. Video Verification gives users with the Complete service plan the ability to have operators monitor their camera feeds during alarm events to help verify any criminal activity occurring.

If you subscribe to the Complete plan with monitoring, Video Verification is an optional free service.