Qolsys Panel 2+ External Siren

DIY Home Security Forums Technical Support Qolsys Qolsys Panel 2+ External Siren

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pitzerwm 4 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

pitzerwm
    Participant

I hate those crappy Panel sirens, so I always wire up a couple of 30W Speakers. Converting over to the 2+ external siren terminals I find that the signal/contact closure is intermittent which in my opinion is useless. Anyone solved this problem or have other ideas? Thanks

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

The IQ Panel 2+ siren out is not an actual output but a contact closure circuit used to control a piezo siren via an external power source, not drive speakers. You would need an external third party speaker driver and power supply to make use of speakers. The IQ panel out can be used as a relay trigger.

pitzerwm
    Participant

Thanks Jason, but I have it set up as you describe. The issue is that the closure is intermittent, not constant. Anyway, that is the way it is on mine.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I see, yes if you need to drive a constant speaker you my be able to try a separate latching relay as well to be triggered by the panel and sound for a period of time. I haven’t tried this type of setup myself. Unfortunately the Qolsys panel siren out itself is just intended for a 12vDC 300mA piezo siren. There aren’t any additional programmable outputs.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Have you considered using a Z-wave or Power G option for the siren? The PG9911 or PG9901 might fit the bill.

pitzerwm
    Participant

I run the Qolsys contacts thru a relay to protect the contacts. How would you unlock the locking relay?

The wiring diagrams show that you can use a speaker siren.

There are 2 aux relays in the 16f, the documentation doesn’t give you any idea how these can be used. Do you have anything?

I haven’t looked at the Z-wave or PG units as most “sirens” are for looks more than practicality. A super siren in a house going off is a great deterrent to the smash and grab.

Thanks for your knowledge.

pitzerwm
    Participant

Hopefully, they can make a firmware patch that makes the contact constant vs intermittent, or an option. That solves the issue.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

How would you unlock the locking relay?

You would need a latching relay that could be programmed to activate for a period of time. I have not tried such a setup and would recommend going with Z-wave or Power G options in general.

There are 2 aux relays in the 16f, the documentation doesn’t give you any idea how these can be used. Do you have anything?

Those aren’t relays, just aux power outputs. There is a similar siren output on the Hardwire 16F that can be wirelessly activated by the panel or tripped by the panel output. It can be used with the aux power output on the Hardwire or with an external supply up to 60VDC/1A Max siren.

I haven’t looked at the Z-wave or PG units as most “sirens” are for looks more than practicality. A super siren in a house going off is a great deterrent to the smash and grab.

Dedicated Sirens, either Power G or Z-wave are very effective. I would caution against exceeding decibel ratings indoors.

pitzerwm
    Participant

Those aren’t relays, just aux power outputs. There is a similar siren output on the Hardwire 16F that can be wirelessly activated by the panel or tripped by the panel output. It can be used with the aux power output on the Hardwire or with an external supply up to 60VDC/1A Max siren.

I tried wiring the siren as shown in the 16f diagram but it didn’t seem to work. Is there something you have to set in the Panel for the wireless part to work?

I would caution against exceeding decibel ratings indoors.

Yes, you might get sued by the crook for making him go deft. :o)

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

You would need to pair the Hardwire Translator as a translator device in order to use the wireless siren relay. See the relevant instructions attached below.

Attachments:

pitzerwm
    Participant

Thanks, Jason, but I have done all that. When I wired up the siren where it would be activated wirelessly it didn’t seem to work. Other than just wiring it up is something needed to be done on the Panel.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Other than just wiring it up is something needed to be done on the Panel.

The pairing steps in the prior response are what must be done at the panel. If the Hardwire translator is not itself learned in on a unique zone (not just the hardwired sensors attached) you cannot use wireless siren activation and reset smokes.

There shouldn’t be anything else you need though, so double check your wiring. Note that the + – terminals on the terminal section labeled siren do nothing if you are activating wirelessly.

Like the panel itself the siren out is not energized naturally. You need to pass power through it as a relay.

Connect an AUX terminal to “IN” with a jumper.

“OUT” to the + siren lead, GND to the negative siren lead.

See the image attached. It would need to be wired exactly as shown.

Attachments:

pitzerwm
    Participant

Yes, the 16f is zone 5, it was “learned” first, then the other wired zones were then learned. I’m a tech so I’ve double checked the wiring.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.