Support Forum

Qolsys IQ Panel 2 with Hardwire translator giving random tamper alerts

Support Qolsys IQ Panel 2 with Hardwire translator giving random tamper alerts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

slantedview
    Participant

I have a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 that I’ve been running with a hardwire translator for about 4.5 years with mostly no issues. Recently I started getting alerts that random doors and windows were opening over and over, and now I’m starting to get alerts that some of them have been tampered. At first I thought maybe something was damaging the wiring of a sensor, but for this to be happening with so many different sensors, I’m assuming something’s wrong with the hardwire converter. How should I troubleshoot this and proceed?

Thanks

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

What model of hardwire to wireless translator are you using?

Is this related to a Surety subscription so I could take a look at signals on Alarm.com?

In general, whenever you see a tamper alert for a hardwired zone, that means that the resistance value for the sensor circuit fell outside of what the translator was expecting.

How long has this been going on and how many zones are showing the error? Is it always the same zones?

slantedview
    Participant

It is a 16 zone Qolsys hardwire translator, purchased about 4 years ago (not sure if there’s any other model info). It is not related to a Surety subscription. It’s happening with several different zones, about 5 so far, over the past few weeks.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

All Hardwire 16 versions (aside from the new Hardwire 16F released this year) measure and set the expected resistance for each zone at the time of learning that zone into the translator and panel. Typically this resistance shouldn’t change, but it can due to wear and tear, corrosion, etc.

When the resistance is outside of the expected range (+ or – 5% I believe) it will cause issues like tampers. If the wire is loose or the resistance is too high it would show as open.

It is less likely that the Hardwire 16 itself would begin to have issues with only certain zones. I would expect all zones to be impacted if that was the case, though it is not impossible.

Is there any pattern to when the alerts are generated? Do all 5 sensors show an issue at one time? Do tampers resolve quickly or do they continue to be reported for an extended period?

slantedview
    Participant

Looking at the history on my IQ panel, the zones appear to show open/close or tamper/close events right after each other (including while we’re asleep), so the open or tamper is very brief before it’s closed again.

It seems to be pretty random, occurring at all hours of the day and night. Usually one zone will have problems repeatedly for a while, but throughout the day it’s a variety of zones firing when they shouldn’t, up to 5 that I’ve noticed so far. Most but not all zones have a few sensors wired in series going into them.

Is there any significance to most of the events being opens vs tampers?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  slantedview.
    Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Is there any significance to most of the events being opens vs tampers?

This would usually suggest loose wiring is more likely. Have you checked the wiring at the Hardwire 16? Have you tried removing and reattaching the sensor circuit wires just to ensure they have a solid connection? If they were snagged at some point they may have come loose. Just do one set at a time and make sure they go into the same terminals they were removed from.

Make sure none of the wires are too flattened or broken. You can strip back fresh wire to connect if need be.

slantedview
    Participant

The wiring for my setup goes from each door/window up to the attic, across the attic and down into a central closet where the hardwire translator is mounted near the top in a sealed panel. Nothing has disturbed the wiring in the panel or closet. At first I suspected maybe an animal had gotten into the attic and attacked some of the sensor wires (this was kinda far fetched), but there’s no sign of that either.

As for the wiring going into the hardwire translator, it seems as solid as when I installed it. The series of connections between sensors are solidly twisted, taped, and bundled. The connections into the hardwire 16 are still solid. The connection to the resistors are crimped and also seem solid, but now I’m wondering if those resistors might be a point of failure?

Here are some pictures of the wiring going into the panel. Each red crimped connection contains a resistor. The second pictures shows how multiple wires at bundled in series at the bottom:

View post on imgur.com

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Each red crimped connection contains a resistor.

Are the resistors cut down to the size of the one end of the red butt connectors? It looks like they are crimped at both ends so I am having trouble picturing where the resistor fits.

It very well may be the resistor connection where an issue lies if everything else seems solid. The way the issue is presenting it would suggest loose wiring. You might also see it from misaligned sensor/magnets but for many to occur at once it is much more likely an issue where the wires consolidate.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Tagged: ,

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“I was able to setup my whole home security system in an afternoon. It’s worked great ever since… I installed my system over a year ago, and Surety has stood the test of time. I would highly recommend them to friends and family.”

Dallas L. , Austin, TX , Yelp , 12/03/2014
Five out of five star rating.

“These people are unbelievably helpful and patient. I switched from another system and they really provided timely and helpful support. I had an existing system and they provided just what was needed.”

Steve K. , Facebook Review , 7/25/2017
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.