Patio light motion sensor

We have a 2Gig panel with Z-wave support. What is the best recommendation to briefly turn on existing patio lights when there is motion detected?

Offhand, some thoughts I can think
A) just buy a new proprietary system that includes light and motion sensor
B) install 2Gig motion sensor outside, replace light with a Z-Wave bulb, or replace wall toggle switch with a z-wave toggle switch, then setup an ADC rule to turn the light on when the sensor trips. Not sure if I can make it turn off after a few minutes automatically.
C) something else?

Thanks!

A) just buy a new proprietary system that includes light and motion sensor B) install 2Gig motion sensor outside, replace light with a Z-Wave bulb, or replace wall toggle switch with a z-wave toggle switch, then setup an ADC rule to turn the light on when the sensor trips. Not sure if I can make it turn off after a few minutes automatically.

Either a or b would be fine (with the caveat that you need an outdoor motion detector, not a standard 2GIG PIR)

If you want to integrate that light into schedules and trigger it with other sensor activity, option B is the way to go.

Yes, you can set the light to turn on then off after a period of time.

Sounds great. Do you have recommendations between replacing the toggle switch with z-wave or replacing the bulb? I’m guessing replacing the bulb is easier, but the switch might be cheaper if there are many connected lights.

If it were me, I would probably always go with the switch, especially if it is a light you will also control a lot via the switch manually.

Shutting off power to a z-wave bulb via the manual switch means the switch would need to be manually flipped back on before any remote commands can work.

Great advice - you’re right, I would have to remove or tape the wall switch to keep people from shutting off power to the bulb. Thanks!

The 5800PIR-OD is listed on Amazon at over $200. That makes me think this is something out of production.

Is this price correct? Is there another 2Gig compatible outdoor motion detector? I could not find one on the suretydiy store.

thanks

PS: does anyone have experience with an indoor PIR installed outdoors in a covered area?

The 5800PIR-OD is definitely more expensive as a dedicated outdoor wireless motion detector. It’s over 200 at all vendors I’ve found.

Another option is to use a wired outdoor motion detector and connect the contact closure output to a DW10 indoors.

does anyone have experience with an indoor PIR installed outdoors in a covered area?

I would very strongly not recommend. The detector will be affected by more than direct rain. Temperature, humidity, sunlight in the lens, insects; they are all going to heavily affect performance and lifespan.

Another option is to use a wired outdoor motion detector and connect the contact closure output to a DW10 indoors.

Yes, I could put a DW10 on inside of a door and the motion detector on the outside. Is there one you recommend that can be powered off a battery and has the right output?

Not sure of a battery operated one. The best options will be 12VDC, but some will be much less than the 5800PIROD. Optex is a brand I hear a lot about when it comes to this use case. These might work for you.

Sorry for bumping old post but I have the same situation. I check google every couple months for new PIR sensors and found a new one.

https://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/ftn-rr2g

It’s $100 for an 2Gig compatible outdoor PIR. So half the price of the Honeywell.

Anyone have any experience with the FTN-RR2G?

I’ve not had experience with that model but that looks like a promising option, especially at that price level.