Odd notifications

I noticed over the past 24 hours that the notifications from ADC for the auto-setback of the thermostats based on certain sensors is showing the wrong info. The notification will say that the target temp has been changed to the away value but the temps shown in the notification are no different than the normally scheduled temps. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the notification and not the actual remote command.

This will be forwarded to Alarm.com for review. We have not noticed incorrect values in thermostat notifications as of yet.

Just to verify, the actual thermostat performance is functioning properly as set in Alarm.com, correct?

Yes, the function seem to be fine. I’ll keep an eye out today to see if it happens again.

So it happened again tonight. A door was left open and a notification of the temps being set back to my away setting was received. Once the door was closed, a notification that the temps were being returned to. Or so came through but the temps listed in the notice were still my setback temps and not the normal ones for the current schedule period. The thermostats were set to the correct temps.

That is definitely odd. I am going to test that with my own thermostat tonight.

So in short:

Scheduled Temp is X
Override is Y

Schedule Temp X changes to Override Y ->
Notification that target set to Y

Override Y changes to Scheduled X ->
Notification that target set back to Y?

Yes Jason, that’s it in a nutshell. I also have a successful set of notifications from this morning where everything appears as it should.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that there seems to be a (sometimes) significant lag between the actual state of the thermostats and how they’re reported in the mobile app. I wonder if that’s playing into this somehow.

Let me know if there’s any additional info that I can provide to help.

J.P.

It may be as simple as ADC polling the Thermostat to capture the target set point for the notification and the proper value not being received.

I see your thermostats are listed as being on battery power, is this true or are they connected via 24 VAC off HVAC? Battery only operation is much more viable with the ADC thermostat but I would still recommend always using the AC power. Battery only operation can inhibit Zwave power with power save modes etc.

They’re connected to the “C” wire so they should be powered by the system. I haven’t seen the battery level move at all since they’ve been installed so I’d be surprised if they’re on battery in reality. Not your area but do you know how I can test that 24v? Put a meter between C and ?

Rh sould get you 24VAC

K, I’ll check it when I get home this evening.

Jason, where are you seeing the thermostats reporting being on battery? I don’t see it on my backend and if I recall, the panel just shows the battery level and not whether or not they’re being powered by the 24v circuit.

I checked and there is 24vac between C and Rh so they’re definitely powered by the system.

I have the Qolsys branded thermostat and I don’t know the buttons off hand but you can hold down two of the buttons (see manual) and it will display “battery” or “AC”.

I don’t know if the ADC thermostats do that but I measured 24v on the board (not just the wires) so if they’re reporting battery I’m pretty sure that’s faulty as they’re both getting power.

From what I’ve seen with Z-Wave thermostats they “decide” whether they will report as AC or battery powered devices based on whether they had AC power connected at the time when they were added to the Z-Wave network. Is it possible the AC wasn’t connected when it was added to your Z-Wave network?

Ryan is very correct. My Qolsys thermostat said numerous times in the instructions to connect the common wire first BEFORE pairing and installing the batteries. Even so, for whatever reason, mine decided to run on battery anyway. (I checked this by holding down the two buttons I spoke of earlier and it displayed “battery”. So I reset the thermostat and re-paired it and now it displays AC when I hold down the two buttons. Supposedly these Z-wave thermostats will eat up batteries like crazy if the common wire is not used.

Ryan, I wired the wall plates before firing up the thermostats for the first time. They were fully installed on the wall with both batteries and ac prior to pairing them.

I suppose I can reset them, remove from the network etc. and then trying to reinstall them without batteries and then add the batts later.

I hope though that I don’t lose my programming with ADC while doing this ???

You will need to recreate any unique rules or notifications set up unfortunately, but learning them in with the panel on battery close by and the thermostat wired up is the best way to go.

So to be clear, the procedure would be to remove the device from my network on the panel, remove the thermostat from the wall, remove the batteries and then mount the thermostat so it’s powered by ac then relearn it into my network. After that I can unmount it, add batteries, remount it and then recreate my rules?

I only want to do this once :stuck_out_tongue:

So to be clear, the procedure would be to remove the device from my network on the panel, remove the thermostat from the wall, remove the batteries and then mount the thermostat so it’s powered by ac then relearn it into my network. After that I can unmount it, add batteries, remount it and then recreate my rules?

I only want to do this once :stuck_out_tongue: