New security system with suretyDIY

In doing research, your company appeared in several searches for technical info and the information provided seemed quite thorough and helpful. Your tech support forum seems like a good sign for customer service! You also sell the components that I am interested in with competitive prices, so I wanted so see if I could get some additional information. I thank you in advance for your assistance!

I tend to prefer newest technology that has also proven itself to be reliable. I’m leaning toward the Qolsys IQ 2 or Interlogix Simon XTi-5 or. I understand some panels are simpler to programme, but that is not an issue; I am well-trained in the aggravations of technology ???. Based upon the next requirements, which would you recommend.

Not sure if you need this info, but we have 300G internet through AT&T fibre optic, and both 2.4 and 5 GHz wi-fi.

1. Panels
  • Do these panels have the ability to ferret out jamming devices?
  • Do the manufacturers provide firmware updates if any security or malware issues are detected?
    Do we need to be concerned about malicious code getting into the panels?
    -Does suretyDIY alert its customers of updates that need to be installed?
  • If I pair them with a monitored system, do these panels have the “crash and smash” protection
    I keep reading about?
  • Is it better to set up my router to separate the traffic from computers/phones/tablets from
    the security system or let them all run on the same network?
  1. We do plan to have a monitored system with Alarm.com, and also want to be able to interact with the system via mobile phone. In our neighbourhood Verizon has the strongest signal. I have read that the Verizon CDMA 3g LTE card is no longer available. Do these panels now have cards for Verizon 4G LTE (possibly 5G) hardware?

2. We need about 18, possibly more, window/door sensors, actually data encrypted sensors.

• Would both these panels support encrypted sensors?
  • Have you found the Qolsys encrypted sensors you find to be reliable?
  • Is it possible to get additional sensor magnets, for those months in which it is cool enough to
    have windows open?
  • We would also would like a sensor that detects the garage door is open. I see that Qolsys has an
    IQ tilt sensor. Do you carry this item?
  1. Do these panels have a loud alarm in the system or do we get those separately?

2. Although we don’t have z-wave products in our home now, we do plan to add them. The panels both
    appear to support that. Does the alarm.com app also support those if we get the basic,
    not gold, monitoring?

3. We need 3 key fobs. Do you carry those?

4. We do not need motion detection. Our cats are miniature acrobats.

5. We would like to add a fire/co2 detector, and a rate of rise detector for the garage. Do you
    carry these? Would any brand work with these panels if you do not?

6. We also need a wired doorbell with good video – not snippets, but motion-detection triggered video, with two-way audio communication. Even though Skybell is a Honeywell product, would it work with the panels listed above? If not, we would consider a Nest doorbell. Or might you recommend something else? We would only keep video for a day or so.

7. Need 1 glass break sensor. How close does a sensor need to be to the window to detect breakage?

8. We may be interested in adding 2 cameras to the exterior or the house. Question: We live in an area with lots of critters that come by. If we put up a camera, will the motion of animals (not larger than raccoons or sometimes a fox) set it off?

– Do these panels have the ability to ferret out jamming devices?

RF Jam detection is available on many panels, including the IQ Panel 2 available through suretyDIY. You can find RF Jam Detection settings on page 21 of the manual.

– Do the manufacturers provide firmware updates if any security or malware issues are detected?

Qolsys provides periodic firmware updates, yes. Updates are applied via broadband through the panel menu.

Do we need to be concerned about malicious code getting into the panels?

Connecting to broadband does naturally place it where other devices on your LAN can act as vectors, but no. Secure connection is required through Alarm.com to send data to the panel. I’ve never heard of an example of this, real world or otherwise.

Does suretyDIY alert its customers of updates that need to be installed?

You can subscribe to this IQ Panel 2 firmware thread to be notified when new posts are made.

If I pair them with a monitored system, do these panels have the “crash and smash” protection I keep reading about?

Yes. Crash and Smash is a feature of Alarm.com available for all compatible panels. It is not panel specific.

Is it better to set up my router to separate the traffic from computers/phones/tablets from the security system or let them all run on the same network?

It is not necessary to isolate the panel. It can’t hurt of course if you are capable, and would only protect the panel from theoretical problems, so it is not something I would discourage, but it’s again one of those things where there are no examples of a problem being caused by network traffic/other devices. If being used on a large, high profile commercial network it would be more important, but on a home network it is not a concern.

Do these panels now have cards for Verizon 4G LTE (possibly 5G) hardware?

Yes, LTE modules are standard offerings for most panels at this point, including the IQ Panel 2.

Would both these panels support encrypted sensors?

No, you would want to use the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 for encryption.

Currently you can take advantage of S-Line sensors for the Qolsys panel which are encrypted transmission. For future models of the IQ Panel 2 being released, Power G sensors will also be an option. Power G supported panels are expected to be available in late summer/early fall.

Have you found the Qolsys encrypted sensors you find to be reliable?

Yes.

Is it possible to get additional sensor magnets, for those months in which it is cool enough to have windows open?

Yes, you can add magnets. Additional magnets can be found in our store or from alternate vendors. This page describes application of additional magnets.

We would also would like a sensor that detects the garage door is open. I see that Qolsys has an IQ tilt sensor. Do you carry this item?

Products are stocked based on demand for the most part. That part is not currently available in our store. All available products through suretyDIY are found on our storefront. Keep in mind that compatible products needn’t be purchased only from suretyDIY. You can use compatible products purchased from any vendor.

That said, our recommendation would depend on your intention for the garage door sensor. See this page for recommendations.

Do these panels have a loud alarm in the system or do we get those separately?

Yes a siren is built into the panel. Decibel level dependent on panel model.

Although we don’t have z-wave products in our home now, we do plan to add them. The panels both appear to support that. Does the alarm.com app also support those if we get the basic, not gold, monitoring?

No, Gold Interactive is required for remote Z-wave automation controls. Included features of service plans can be found here. As all service is month to month you can change your service plan at any time.

We need 3 key fobs. Do you carry those?

This would depend on model and panel you choose. We do not carry IQ Keyfobs. As above, these can be added from any vendor.

We would like to add a fire/co2 detector, and a rate of rise detector for the garage. Do you carry these? Would any brand work with these panels if you do not?

You would need to use compatible 319.5 alarm smoke detectors. We sell the RE114 and RE113 for GE/Qolsys Panels. The RE114 is a combination Smoke and Fixed Heat detector.

Alternatively you could use hardwired interconnected AC smoke detectors along with a single SLX-AD-T3 Firefighter audio sensor. The Firefighter simply listens for the smoke alarm cadence and if detectors are interconnected so that they all sound, only one Firefighter is needed.

We also need a wired doorbell with good video – not snippets, but motion-detection triggered video, with two-way audio communication. Even though Skybell is a Honeywell product, would it work with the panels listed above? If not, we would consider a Nest doorbell. Or might you recommend something else? We would only keep video for a day or so.

The doorbell camera would not communicate directly with the alarm panel.

Alarm.com supports the Skybell HD and Skybell Slim Line doorbell products. The devices are integrated with the ADC back-end through your broadband. Panel model is irrelevant. Other brands of doorbell camera will not function at this time.

Skybell Video Only, or Alarm.com Cloud Video is required to use the Skybell. Motion Detection and Button triggered recording options are available. Two way audio is performed through the Alarm.com app.

Need 1 glass break sensor. How close does a sensor need to be to the window to detect breakage?

This would depend on the model of glass break detector used. Always follow manufacturer product instructions regarding placement and range. The QS1431-840 S-Line Glass Break range is stated at 25 feet, for example. They typically require line of sight with no obstructions to the sound.

We may be interested in adding 2 cameras to the exterior or the house. Question: We live in an area with lots of critters that come by. If we put up a camera, will the motion of animals (not larger than raccoons or sometimes a fox) set it off?

There are more false alarm hazards for outdoor cameras, for sure. However, movement filters depend on the size of the object in a selected section of the video frame. Animals like Raccoons and squirrels etc. are actually some of the easiest triggers to filter out. Bugs are actually harder to avoid as they can fly close to the lens and particularly at night with IR their form is exaggerated. This video will provide instruction on how to best set up motion detection recording schedules and VMD windows.

I wrote with some questions once before and thank you for your helpful responses. I have just a few more questions. I have decided on the Qolsys IQ 2 system panel, with about 20 encrypted window/door sensors, fire/smoke and carbon monoxide sensor, key fobs, a few IQ outlets, and possibly an outdoor camera and wired doorbell. We do intend to subscribe to the alarm.com interactive monitoring and want central monitoring as well.

Are you listed with the Better Business Bureau?

Where is your company located?
What sort of warranty do you offer on your equipment, particularly the Qolsys panel?

What is the cost of alarm.com interactive monitoring by itself, i.e. without central monitoring?

Which Central Monitoring company provides your monitoring? My concerns are location redundancy and backup power generators.

If a sensor is triggered, and relays an alert, to the monitoring company, what is the average response time before they contact us to verify there is/is not an emergency?

Follow-up: Absent a response from the contact person, how long before the monitoring company calls police/fire department?

With either interactive or central monitoring, how much time is given (and how – e.g. email or snail mail) to warn customer of approaching renewals or price increases?

Is the billing for monitoring handled by your company or the monitoring company?

Are you able to provide a Central Monitoring Certificate that I can share with my insurance company indicating home is monitored for both burglary and fire?

Are you listed with the Better Business Bureau?

No, not at this time.

Where is your company located?

suretyDIY is located in and ships all products from Columbus, Ohio.

What sort of warranty do you offer on your equipment, particularly the Qolsys panel?

All products carry the manufacturer’s warranty between suretyDIY and users. This will vary by product. For the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and Qolsys products in general this is 1 year from purchase.

What is the cost of alarm.com interactive monitoring by itself, i.e. without central monitoring?

You can find service plan pricing and included features here, for both with and without monitoring.

Which Central Monitoring company provides your monitoring? My concerns are location redundancy and backup power generators.

All suretyDIY accounts using 24/7 central station monitoring use Avantguard Monitoring. Avantguard employs two fully redundant, geographically distinct monitoring centers. You can find more info on their website here.

If a sensor is triggered, and relays an alert, to the monitoring company, what is the average response time before they contact us to verify there is/is not an emergency?

Follow-up: Absent a response from the contact person, how long before the monitoring company calls police/fire department?

This will depend on the features selected, such as ARM (Alarm Response Messenger chat) or Two Way Voice. In general for calls response time averages 20-30 seconds. Two Way Voice will delay this first response time if selected.

Default monitoring procedures are listed here. The time between alarm signal and dispatch will depend on the type of alarm signal, how many users you have selected to be contacted prior to dispatch, how long individual calls last, etc. By default, accounts are set to have the first two contact methods attempted before dispatch on burglary signals. There is no arbitrary delay in the process, so if no contact is made, dispatch occurs.

With either interactive or central monitoring, how much time is given (and how – e.g. email or snail mail) to warn customer of approaching renewals or price increases?

All subscriptions use auto pay on a monthly basis through either credit card or echeck transfer. Monthly payments are auto-run 10 days in advance of the due date to allow reaction time to failed payments. Reminders are emailed in the event of a failed payment.

To view suretyDIY terms and conditions click here.

Price increases have not occurred, so I wouldn’t be able to say, though advanced notice would of course be given in email form.

Is the billing for monitoring handled by your company or the monitoring company?

All billing occurs through suretyDIY.

Are you able to provide a Central Monitoring Certificate that I can share with my insurance company indicating home is monitored for both burglary and fire?

Insurance Certificates are available for download on your subscription manager in your suretyDIY account portal after your account is active and your system is connected to service.

Certificates indicate fire monitoring if fire detection devices are programmed into the alarm system.

I am in the process of putting in an order for the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 along with Qolsys sensors and carbon monoxide detector. I see your website does not show the Qolsys key fobs or wireless smoke/heat detector, or the Qolsys IQ outlet or IQ bulbs. Have you found problems with these? Do you recommend a different brand for these items? Can you recommend a vendor from whom I could purchase these items?

All products currently available through suretyDIY are found in our store.

Products are stocked and sold largely based on demand, and the omission of a product does not mean there are any known issues. To memory, only tilt sensors have been removed due to operational issues.

Compatible products can be purchased from any vendor and used through suretyDIY. There are no specific recommended vendors.

Alternate GE smoke and carbon detectors can be found on our website in the RE114 and RE113.