MyQ Garage Door Control

Is it possible to control (open and close) MyQ garage doors directly via the IQ2 Plus panel? I assumed that since the panel has its own dedicated WiFi access point, I could connect them to its access point and control them via the panel.

Control via the app works fine, but I’m not having any luck enabling control via the panel. I was able to connect them to the panel’s access point, but I don’t see them as devices that can be controlled.

If the panel can only control Z-Wave garage doors, is the built-in access point only for connecting the remote keypads? Does it serve any other purpose?

Thanks.

Is it possible to control (open and close) MyQ garage doors directly via the IQ2 Plus panel? I assumed that since the panel has its own dedicated WiFi access point, I could connect them to its access point and control them via the panel.

No you could not control it that way. The MyQ would connect to home wifi and be controlled via Alarm.com in this case. The Access Point can be used for the IQ Remote keypad should you wish.

A Z-Wave garage controller could be controlled locally at the panel however.

Thanks. Given the dominance of the Chamberlain/LiftMaster brands, that’s really unfortunate and limiting. I’d wager that within the past few years, 9 out of 10 buyers of connected garage door openers have purchased MyQ models. Only those who are retroactively adding connectivity to older garage openers are likely to have Z-Wave control modules.

Considering how prominently this feature has been marketed by ADC and various systems manufacturers, I feel that ADC and their service providers, as well as the equipment manufacturers should do more to highlight this limitation. I initially purchased a DSC Iotega prior to switching to the Qolsys IQ2 Plus, and I expected that I would be able to control my garage doors from the touchscreen; like the IQ2, the Iotega features a built-in WiFi access point. It seems for both systems that the built-in access point is functionally useless for anything other than connecting remote touchscreen keypads, and neither system can directly control MyQ garage openers. That’s not at all clear to the typical consumer prior to purchase, and I feel as though I’ve been fooled twice now. One reasonably assumes that the ability of a security panel to control garage door openers applies to the most popular models, after all.

In my case, I had already purchased the MyQ openers a couple years ago, and knowledge of this limitation would not have affected my choice of an ADC-compatible security system. But, had I already owned my security system prior to purchasing the MyQ garage door openers and knew of this limitation, I definitely would not have chosen a Chamberlain or LiftMaster product; or, I would have bought a cheaper “dumb” version and a Z-Wave controller. Clarifying this issue could be helpful to those who are just beginning to equip a smart home. It seems like a fairly common point of confusion.

1 Like

Those are good points and great feedback. It is technically possible for the IQ2 Panel to add support for controlling a MyQ garage door, but the signal would probably go up through Alarm.com and not directly from the IQ Panel to the MyQ. We’ll be happy to share your feedback with Qolsys so they are aware this feature is in demand and hopefully might consider adding it in a future software update.

Thanks, that would be great. There are times when it would be convenient to be able to open my garage doors (downstairs) for the kids directly via the panel (upstairs). The app works fine, but I don’t always have my phone on me.

I think this will only become more of an issue as more people purchase new garage door openers, most of which will be MyQ models.

I second this feature request.

Actually, it would be nice if the panel WiFi could be used to attach the Skybell doorbell as well. Any of the WiFi attached devices in the ADC ecosystem should be able to be connected to the panel directly if possible and not to the main network. Think of the ease of troubleshooting if you could see all the ADC devices natively on the panel that controls the ADC interface to the house.

Actually, it would be nice if the panel WiFi could be used to attach the Skybell doorbell as well. Any of the WiFi attached devices in the ADC ecosystem should be able to be connected to the panel directly if possible and not to the main network. Think of the ease of troubleshooting if you could see all the ADC devices natively on the panel that controls the ADC interface to the house.

This is a bit beyond what is suggested above. Such integration would require an incredible amount of changes and unique development on the IQ Panel 2.

Keep in mind that many of these integrated products are their own services - Liftmaster, Lutron, Rachio, Skybell, they all use their own firmware and app basis for functionality. They are not designed for communication with an alarm panel. The IQ Panel 2 can stream video from ADC, but it doesn’t act as a router.

What is more likely is the ability to control devices (not necessarily troubleshoot) via similar functions of the ADC app. Theoretically, the panel may be able to control the devices through Alarm.com.

From a 2017 press release by Qolsys, under “Future Enhancements”:

“Enabling remote access to the built-in private network supporting Wi-Fi devices (video cameras and video doorbells) mitigating the dependency on the home router, which improves installation quality and time and reduces future truck rolls to troubleshoot common issues.”

I guess I just thought this had already been implemented to a point. Much of the confusion, I think, with Chamberlain/LiftMaster is, as previously stated, they dominate the US garage opener market. Given that Alarm.com adds, as well as marketing videos by various security systems manufacturers feature garage door control via the panel, consumers naturally expect that functionality to work with the most popular connected garage openers available (MyQ). Further clouding the issue is the fact that some of these systems (the Iotega and IQ2) have built-in WiFi access points, potentially misleading consumers into thinking that WiFi devices that are then connected directly to the panel can be controlled by it. My garage doors are successfully connected to the IQ2’s WiFi access point, for example; I can see them under the “Access Point Connected” menu, along with their MAC and IP addresses, but they cannot, at this time, be controlled via the panel. Until that capability is introduced (if it ever is), ADC and manufacturers like Qolsys should clarify in their marketing and documentation that panel control of garage doors is limited to those connected via Z-Wave controllers, and that WiFi openers like the MyQ line of products can only be controlled via the ADC app.

1 Like