MyQ and Keyfob

My Genie garage door opener failed and was replaced with a new Liftmaster with MyQ. Seems I need to purchase a myQ Gateway to control the door in the alarm.com app etc, but in the meantime the door position sensor continues to work. I also have a GDR1-345 opener that appears to not be able to trigger the new Liftmaster.

To operate the door we use KEY2-345 keyfobs and I don’t want to have to use a phone app when driving up the the garage.

So:

Is it correct that the GDR1-345 won’t trigger a myQ opener?
If I have to buy a Gateway, with the * button on the KEY2-345 still function to open the door?

d

To best assist we would need to know the model of the opener. Different Liftmaster MyQ overhead units will have different requirements.

Many of the newer models have wifi built in and act as their own gateway.

Please let us know the model number in reply!

The puller is a Liftmaster 8355W, with MyQ, WiFi and Security+ 2.0

thanks
d

Also, i tried adding the serial number of the puller into the empower part of ADC but just got an error

d

The puller is a Liftmaster 8355W, with MyQ, WiFi and Security+ 2.0

Thank you for confirming! Yes, with this setup you would need to use Liftmaster MyQ to control the door. The MyQ openers are not compatible with standard Z-wave or RF openers.

You would not be able to activate the door with the 2GIG Keyfob, but if a keyfob is desired there may be a Liftmaster accessory that fits the bill.

You would not need anything else to just use the overhead as it is. That model would act as its own gateway.

Note to be able to connect it to your account it would need to be currently connected and communicating to your Wifi and it must not be registered to an existing MyQ account. If you set it up on a MyQ account through the MyQ app you will want to remove it first.

Thanks.

So to clarify:
The GDR1-345 is of no use now
The 8355W should connect to ADC acting as it’s own gateway if I register it through ADC ONLY

How can I make the KEY2-345 * button operate the door? Can I set the button to trigger an open/close signal to the Liftmaster gateway?

d

The GDR1-345 is of no use now

Correct.

The 8355W should connect to ADC acting as it’s own gateway if I register it through ADC ONLY

Correct.

How can I make the KEY2-345 * button operate the door? Can I set the button to trigger an open/close signal to the Liftmaster gateway?

I edited the above after first posting, you cannot use the 2GIG Keyfob to control the door. If a keyfob is desired there may be a Liftmaster accessory that would work for you.

I’ve deleted the opener from my MyQ account and after waiting a few minutes, i still can’t register the serial number in ADC, getting a message to contact ADC. This is a different message than before, so I assume that the MyQ registration delete has had an affect.

d

Ok. I hope at least to get the Liftmaster gateway working (see above). It really sucks to not be able to use the KEY2 keyfob. I don’t really want a second keyfob and don’t like leaving openers in the cars that do’t have Homelink for security reasons.

Can you try registering one more time and provide the full error message you are seeing if it fails again? There may be a few similarly worded responses so that would help identify any specific issue.

There was an error while registering your LiftMaster MyQ Gateway. Please ensure that you have entered the correct serial number and then contact us for assistance.

And I’ve triple checked the serial number

Thank you! Can you please submit the serial number of your overhead via secure message here? We will check the number with ADC and confirm the cause.

There error message being returned on our end is a general error which usually indicates communication issues or an issue with the gateway otherwise not responding.

Can you try powering down the overhead for a minute, then power it back up, make sure it is connected to wifi, then try registering again through ADC? Any change?

No change

Hmm, we’ve seen once or twice where Liftmaster’s serial number pool was altered and new units were produced that will still report as invalid through ADC for a short while, though I believe they would indicate in the error response an invalid number was submitted.

One other thing to try would be to remove the wifi settings and reconnect the overhead to wifi.

See the attached instructions for removing the wifi settings.

I am checking with ADC on whether or not this device serial is a valid form at the moment or if this needs updated between ADC and Liftmaster.

It worked! Thank you.

I wonder if it might be possible to have an open/close event triggered across the Liftmaster gateway, as a software equivalent of the GDR1-345.

Is there an ADC feature request process?

d

I wonder if it might be possible to have an open/close event triggered across the Liftmaster gateway, as a software equivalent of the GDR1-345.

Is there an ADC feature request process?

We are happy to forward all feature enhancement requests to ADC!

To best provide the use case, could you clarify the intention in this case? The open/close status of the door is visible in the Alarm.com app for Liftmaster devices and can be used for notifications. Do you mean something in addition or different than that?

Looking for something in addition to the use of the alarm.com app.

I like the fact that I can now open and close the garage door from the alarm.com phone app. However, not all our family cars have Homelink, and especially for my kids, I do not want them using their phones in the car at all.

Currently, we can approach the house, click the keyfob to both disarm the alarm and open the garage door. This allows the phone to be untouched, esp when the phone has to be unlocked, the alarm app opened etc. TouchID on an iPhone helps, but requires more handling than the beauty and simplicity of the little keyfob.

Moreover, we live in an area with poor phone signal (enough for the control panel though) so using the keyfob works well whereas I’m not convinced the phone app will when we arrive home…

Given that the keyfob is managed by the 2gig system, and that system responds to the AUX button to trigger the GDR1-345 to issue a momentary trigger, I cannot see why that response could instead be programmed to issue a trigger to the Liftmaster gateway.

I understand that my GDR1-345 is now obsolete with this new Liftmaster, but I don’t like the loss of functionality of the keyfob too.

d

Given that the keyfob is managed by the 2gig system, and that system responds to the AUX button to trigger the GDR1-345 to issue a momentary trigger, I cannot see why that response could instead be programmed to issue a trigger to the Liftmaster gateway.

Happy to clarify! The Liftmaster MyQ Overhead does not communicate with your alarm panel.

The Liftmaster overhead does not have a 345 Mhz 2GIG radio in it. There is just no way for it to receive any input at all from the 2GIG-KEY2-345.

If you’ve replaced your overhead with one incompatible with the GDR1-345 and desire a keyfob, a keyfob accessory from the new overhead manufacturer would be necessary.

I understand that completely, and I apologize for not making myself clear. By gateway, I mean the API/connection between ADC and Liftmaster that uses the Liftmaster serial number as the registered key.

It is clear that ADC can send an open and close signal to Liftmaster because that functionality is available in the alarm.com app. The 2gig zwave system is capable of handling a signal from the keyfob. It must surely be capable of connecting those two things. The keyfob would not communicate directly with the Liftmaster opener because of the technology differences.

Keyfob signal --> 2gig system via RF/zwave --> Alarm.com --> existing API --> MyQ/Liftmaster network --> Liftmaster opener via wifi/MyQ

d