Motion Sensor Tripping

Setup new 2GIG system. Everything working well except for motion detector in master bedroom. It keeps tripping. We have a 9lb dog that stays in that room. The sensor is in the corner, ceiling fan about 8ft away, HVAC register 12ft away. I have it set for 55lb dog and low. It worked fine yesterday after setting to 55lb. The fan was off as well. Then last night just as we left, it tripped the alarm. Anything I can do?

One thing to keep in mind is that the weight restriction is more about what height the dog can access than its total pounds. Is your small dog able to get up high on furniture or does it jump up high?

The dog gets on the bed which is fairly standard height. Does not jump unless we are there.

Would aiming the sensor a bit higher help if height is a factor?

Ah, yes. That may be our culprit. If your dog is up at the height of the bed, his motion is being seen like he’s a dog of that height. You could try mounting the sensor higher, but I’ve generally avoided using motions in areas where pets roam due to scenarios such as this.

Makes sense. I may have to switch to a glass break sensor and/or individual windows sensors. Large windows in the room with valuables I need to safeguard.

Makes sense. I may have to switch to a glass break sensor and/or individual windows sensors. Large windows in the room with valuables I need to safeguard

My suggestion is that you use dw10’s or dw10/shocks on windows and V520IR…or go with window sensors (if first flr/ground flr) and an Image Sensor PIR motion detector (which can always be programmed as a zone 23 no response, but will still capture motion events)

If you have valuables you should be safeguarding them with video/camera devices anyways.