Help Forum

loss of supervision

Support loss of supervision

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Aurora
    Participant

what is the best way to troubleshoot simultaneous loss of supervision of multiple zones, then the same zones coming back online also simultaneously several hours later?

thanks

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Is this on a 2GIG Panel? Do you use a hardwire takeover module? This is common if the takeover module fails a supervision check with the panel for whatever reason. All relevant takeover module zones will report loss of supervision at one time.

This may or may not be indicative of an overall issue. (likely not if it only happened once) If it continues, it may suggest weak signaling between the panel and the takeover module. You might try to resolve using something like the RE524X repeater which will improve signaling.

Aurora
    Participant

Yes it’s a 2gig panel with two translators — a GE wired to GE wireless and GE wireless to 2gig.

Several, but not all zones, lost and regained supervision simultaneously—would a translator signal issue make sense if not all zones went offline?

This has happened two or three times.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Several, but not all zones, lost and regained supervision simultaneously—would a translator signal issue make sense if not all zones went offline?

Yes. The zone transmissions would be sent individually, so it may just indicate that the translator had a tough time reaching the panel at that time. Some supervision signals made it through and others did not. This could indicate interference or borderline signal strength.

How far is the translator from the panel?

Aurora
    Participant

It’s about 80 ft

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Yeah that may just indicate it was having trouble reaching the panel. Make sure there is no metal nearby the wireless translator, wired translator, or panel. You can probably relocate the wireless translator closer to the panel, which would have the effect of repeating signals.

Aurora
    Participant

One particular zone has not been communicating consistently with the panel recently, in that opening and closing doors in the zone sometimes will register at the panel and other times will not register. Additionally, there is an entry delay on this zone. When I entered a door today with the system armed away, the zone apparently did not register my entry, as the alarm was triggered by an interior motion detector.

Does this mean this one particular zone is not getting translated consistently? If so, why would this start occurring after several years without issues? There have been no other changes or new obstructions. Why would only one zone be affected?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

One particular zone has not been communicating consistently with the panel recently, in that opening and closing doors in the zone sometimes will register at the panel and other times will not register.

That’s not indicative of an issue between the translator and panel, that would more likely be a wiring or other physical concern with that zone.

Doors expand and contract with the frame with changes in temperature, and this can affect sensor alignment. Is this a surface wired contact? Or is it recessed?

Aurora
    Participant

There are several doors in this zone, at least two of which have failed to register either opening or closing at various times. Both of these doors have recessed contacts.

Aurora
    Participant

I thought because the same issue was affecting more than one door in the zone, it might be a translator issue?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Multiple doors wired in series function as a single zone. There is a strong possibility that either the sensors themselves cannot open or there may be a short on the circuit at or near the hardwire translator.

Are the recessed sensors magnetic or are they plunger sensors? A plunger sensor would be installed on the hinge side of the door.

Can you post an image of the wiring at the translator and let us know which zone is causing the trouble?

Aurora
    Participant

They are recessed magnetic sensors

The zone in question is zone 1, sensor type entry with entry delay. Sometimes when I open a door in the zone and the panel does not recognize the action, I open and close the same door once or twice and the state is then recognized.

Again today when I opened a door in the zone, the panel did not recognize the opening, so I had to disarm via app to avoid activating the motion detectors.

Also again today multiple zones went offline — some simultaneously, and others at different times. (When this occurs, how can these zones be brought back online?)

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Unfortunately in the image I am not able to see the wiring for zone one. However, a general issue is apparent in the photo.

The wired to wireless translator should generally never be placed inside the metal can. The surrounding metal, batteries, and circuitry can eat the wireless RF signals being sent by the hardwire translator. I believe we have had a prior conversation where this was mentioned, but you said the door cover is never installed?

The wireless translator should be at least a little further away from the large metal can. It should not be so close to a large metal object. The combined effect of both translators being installed the way they are can possibly be a cause of intermittent supervision and signaling errors like you are seeing. At the very least since this issue appears to be similar to what you were reporting before I would recommend ruling this out.

Try moving the wireless translator further from the panel first. It may even help to just use a 12VDC plug in power supply for it and mount it on a wall facing the open metal can, rather than beside it.

Also again today multiple zones went offline — some simultaneously, and others at different times. (When this occurs, how can these zones be brought back online?)

Offline simply means that supervision signals are not reaching the panel. This can only be resolved by resolving the cause of the underlying signal degradation.

Aurora
    Participant

I believe we have had a prior conversation where this was mentioned, but you said the door cover is never installed?

Correct

Try moving the wireless translator further from the panel first. It may even help to just use a 12VDC plug in power supply for it and mount it on a wall facing the open metal can, rather than beside it.

I assume you are referring here to the wireless to wireless translator mounted on the wall outside the box?

If I were to move the wired to wireless translator outside the box, or change to a single translator setup with a TAKE-345, I assume that would require splicing in additional wire length from the original wired sensors, which could be significant particularly if I were to mount the translator on a wall opposite the metal can?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I assume you are referring here to the wireless to wireless translator mounted on the wall outside the box?

Yes, the first step I would try is moving the wireless-wireless translator away from the box.

If I were to move the wired to wireless translator outside the box, or change to a single translator setup with a TAKE-345, I assume that would require splicing in additional wire length from the original wired sensors,

Yes, judging from the image, you would likely need to splice additional wire if you were to relocate the wired to wireless translator.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“Could not recommend enough. The service is excellent and the price is unbeatable. We switched from another company where we felt like we were being taken advantage of; but not with Surety! This has been the best move for home security.”

Melissa C. , Citrus Heights, CA , Yelp , 4/26/2018
Five out of five star rating.

“These people are unbelievably helpful and patient. I switched from another system and they really provided timely and helpful support. I had an existing system and they provided just what was needed.”

Steve K. , Facebook Review , 7/25/2017
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.