Logitech Harmony Elite with Z-Wave

Hello - has anyone found a way to newly integrate one of these remotes with some z-wave switches and perhaps even z-wave thermostats? I know in the past Logitech had an additional device to attach to their hub to talk directly to z-wave as a controller. I don’t quite need that level of integration, just want to be able to hit a few lights and ideally change thermostat settings (but that part is optional). I can’t tell if the current Elite package can do that or is something in the middle still needed? If it is - what are the options?

Since Logitech quietly killed their add-on, I am not thrilled with getting that - especially seeing the reviews people have had on it. Want to keep costs low on this but it would be nice to be able to control lighting in the tv area without redoing the whole place.

Also open to other remote systems. I am on Neeo now which is z-wave out of the box, but the company was bought and they are killing the direct to consumer program :frowning:

Thanks!

To best assist, could you describe the use case a little bit? Is this something that Alarm.com Scenes would not be able to control for you?

I typically recommend Scenes since specific settings for dimming/on/off/arming/thermostats, etc., can be set with a single button press. Scenes can even be controlled by widgets placed on your phone’s home page.

Hi - scenes could do it if I could trigger them from the Logitech remote. The goal is to control lamps (on/off/dimming) from the remote. The lamps are on zwave wall warts or wired in-wall with proper zwave switches.

For example on my Neeo I have a screen that shows all my lights on one page, I can turn them on/off ad hoc or dim the ones that support it. Trying to keep that functionality as much as possible with a new remote control for tv/entertainment.

The thermostat aspect. The use here is increase/decrease temp or toggle fan on/off. This is, again, hugely optional as it’s rarely done and the app can serve for that. But I don’t want an iphone or the like as a remote. I am looking for a traditional remote with actual buttons. Everything I’m reading says Logitech. Other than them everything I’m seeing (RTI, Control4, Kramer, etc.) is too expensive and requires a dealer to do programming.

I’m willing to do programming and some integration but need the hooks and not sure what’s available in this gap space (between pro and none).

Gotcha, we have had users report some success using the Harmony Remote in the past with the Z-wave Home Extender. This post has a description of adding it to their panel and using the remote.

Largely the remote is used in parallel to your panel and Alarm.com. Secondary Z-wave controllers are not managed through Alarm.com and your chosen service plan through Surety would have no effect on usage of a third party device. It would just come down to compatibility between versions and if the controllers play nice.

Hi Jason - yes, I talked about the extender in the original post. I didn’t know the name though… that device is discontinued. You can still find them here and there but getting something that’s been EOL’d over a year ago is a bad idea when I’m starting anew. I also understand Logitech did more with their current “hub” though from everything I’ve found there is no z-wave there. I don’t need to control ADC functions from the remote - just the devices.

Therefore a reliable bridge controller to the remote system would be fine I think. But again, EOL on the extender.

Without using the aforementioned extender, there does not appear to be a way to use Z-wave devices with the Logitech remote currently.

A search for similar products is turning up somewhat empty as well. Most remotes control one or the other but not Z-wave and have the functions of a universal remote.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but for some reason was just notified of this thread in an email.

I think I have the solution to this problem. I have three rooms in my home with Harmony Hubs and Harmony remotes. I had bought 1 Harmony Hub Extender to add Z-wave. It did not work well and would not connect with my Qolsys Panel with all functions. Plus that Extender was $100 and I would need one for each Harmony Hub. After lots of research I decided to try a Samsung Smart Things Hub… They were on sale for $49. The Smart Things hub was easy to set up and could work with all the Harmony Remotes and Hubs at the same time with no problem. It found my Qolsys Panel on the first try as well as all my Z-Wave units, including the thermostat… I recently added Amazon Echo units easily. Forgive my pun but everything has been working in Harmony for over two years now. The Smart Things Hub is what made it all work. I am Using the Version 2 Samsung Smart Things Hub.