Lights Dont Come on after Daylight Savings Change

This has happened to me quite frequently with ADC.

When the time change occurs, my landscape lights do not come on per the automation schedule anymore. I can manually turn them on and they shut off just fine.

I have them set to turn on 15 minutes after daylight savings time.

What has happened in the past is that I call. ADC tells me there is no problem. I complain again, they look into it. They dont follow up, I follow up a bunch more times. After a month or so they get more complaints. They look into it. They take 2 weeks to develop the solution. It resolves. Then it happens again during the next time change.

This is before I came to SuretyCam though. I am hoping that we can get this resolved a lot quicker and find out why this always happens during the time change.

Thanks in advance

That is strange. I have my aquarium lights automated, and it worked fine today. So its not an alarm.com issue.

The constant for you is that you have the same exact panel, correct? the zwave rules are downloaded to your panel and the automation is run from your panel locally, not from alarm.com, or remotely from the cloud.

So, this would seem to indicate that your panel for whatever reason, is malfunctioning, and the downloaded rules are possibly being corrupted.

This is a known issue. ADC is looking into a resolution for the problem, but it does not affect all accounts. In the mean time, the rules and automation have been rebuilt. Can you test your rules and confirm whether they are now functioning as expected?

These are on my landscape lights and I will have to wait to see if they come on tonight. Thats the problem with this issue…it takes a full day to test it out and so much time will go by until resolution.

This is super annoying. I can’t understand how they know its an issue, but let it happen every time change

What exactly is the “known” issue?

The automation rules are downloaded to the panel, and run locally. So what exactly is the issue that is occurring?

I spelled it out in the original post. ADC has logs of me discussing this with them including emails. If you look 2 posts above, Jason confirms this.

I spelled it out in the original post. ADC has logs of me discussing this with them including emails. If you look 2 posts above, Jason confirms this.

My post was not directed to you. According to you, you have stated ADC tells you there is no problem.

On the other hand, ADC has confirmed to Jason that it is in fact a known issue and problem.

I was asking Jason for technical info on what the issue is, and commenting that the way it is currently done with ADC automation rules is to download the rules and run them locally from the panel itself (which means ADC connectivity is not required to run previously downloaded automation rules).

How are previously downloaded automation rules that execute locally and correctly becoming corrupted or otherwise rendered inoperable?

The known issue is that time-dependent lighting automation rules in some circumstances fail during the time change. They are run locally at the panel. The panel uses its own internal DST programming, which may be playing a part in the problem. I do not know deep specifics of the issue.

It does not affect all systems.

Are your lighting rules only based on sunrise/sunset? Do you have any rules that turn on at a specific flat time, such as “turn on kitchen light at 8PM?”

Deleted

I don’t have a Vivint (I dont think) I have firmware 1.13 (current)

I have it programmed for 15 minutes after sunset.

I don’t have anything that is schedule to turn on at a specific time, but certainly can do it to one lamp to test tonight

That would be great if we could try one of each, just to see if there is any difference in activity. Any issues should have been resolved by a re-push of the rules.

UPDATE

I set up a lamp to turn on at 6PM. It turned on fine
One of my landscape lights (frontyard) turned on
One of my landscape lights (backyard) did not turn on.

All landscape lights are on the 15 minutes after sunset.

All Z-wave devices are functioning properly and show in network (blue on the panel for switches and no yellow indicator)

Was the back yard landscape lighting schedule a new rule created? Or was that one that had been functioning for a while?

Resending that one rule. I do notice the back-yard light is not reporting an equipment type, while the front reports as an outdoor module. Not sure if that indicates anything, but in the interest of thoroughness how long has that device been included in the system? Is it the same model as the front yard device?

Not a new rule

Same module as front. It’s the GE outdoor switch

It’s been in the system for 5 months or so. Keep in mind everything was working until the time change

Alright, since one worked and one didn’t, I had those rebuilt. I am not 100% certain that the issue affecting DST isn’t still in play, but since only one of the schedules failed I would imagine not.

Let us know how they work this evening.

They did not go on again. I don’t think it’s the switch because they turn off off ok

I just deleted the rule and recreated it because they did not go on again. I do not believe it is the switch because it goes off OK. Also, like I said, I go through this problem every time change.

In fact ADC had issues turning off the lights so they told me to make 2 separate rules (one for on and one for off). They said they would let me know when all of this was fixed and I can do it under one rule. No one has every contacted me and so I have excessive rules when it should be just one.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your panel, I am aware that there were at least three hardware revisions since 2011, and two zwave versions (2.78 and 3.42)

The older hardware version 2gig panel is running the 2.78 zwave version

Some of the reports seem to indicate that with 3.42, response time had been improved and as well as compatibility with newer devices. I wonder if your panel is running the older hardware, and the older zwave version. The zwave version is not software upgradeable.

It is interesting that I do see a discrepancy in how that failing device is reported in ADC vs the successful ones. All of its info is not available.

Typically in this circumstance the best procedure is to relearn the device into the panel. Make sure the panel is within a few feet of the switch during the learning procedure. Once that is done, run a network rediscovery with the panel back in its spot. Adjust the rule and test. I can then verify if ADC receives all of the device info.

Jason,

I go through this procedure ever time only to find there is nothing in my end causing this. Not trying to be snarky.

If it were on my end why was it working for so long (time between daylight savings) and stops at a very specific interval. Why does it turn off ok?

Please read my frustrations from going through this over and over on the original post.

Currently traveling so I have to burn 2 days and probably more due to the weekend.

I have so many emails on this only to always be told after a lot of time that it is on ADC’s side.