Kitchen Motion Detector Bypassed

I just switched to an IQ2 from an IQ1. For some reason after about 5 days of use, the motion detector in my kitchen is showing up as bypassed and I have no way of un-bypassing it on the panel. I never had this issue on the old panel.

I removed the device and re-added it. It worked for about a day w/o issue but is back to being bypassed. Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

I removed the device and re-added it. It worked for about a day w/o issue but is back to being bypassed. Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

Removing and re-adding the device would not resolve the underlying issue in this case.

The sensor is reporting an Offline malfunction. This means that sensor supervision signals from the sensor are not reaching the panel. This indicates that for one of many possible reasons, that sensor is not signaling to the panel.

Removing and Re-adding it in programming will just reset the supervision interval, and when that expires the malfunction will return (which is what we see in history.)

What model of motion detector is it?

Have you replaced the batteries on this device recently?

It’s a GE 60-807-95R. It was purchased new and installed in late 2014. No I haven not replaced the batteries.

In this case, the first thing to try would be replacing the battery, especially if it is a 5 year old sensor with the same battery installed. What is the date code on the battery?

From the manual, The sensor is powered by 1 AA Lithium battery

I havent gotten a chance to replace the battery yet, but I did get this odd email from ADC

“The Kitchen Motion Detector reported an end-of-bypass. This means that the bypassed sensor was restored or the arming period is over.”

Does that add any clarity? Or just validate that the battery is jacked and needs replacing?

The email is a notification that the sensor is no longer bypassed. Sensors only need to be bypassed during an armed state if they are open or unreachable. If the panel is disarmed, the sensor bypass will be removed. It looks like you are referencing a notification email sent immediately following someone disarming the system locally.

The battery should be replaced on that sensor. If you have other wireless sensors in place for 4-5 years with original batteries it would be good to swap the batteries on those as well to avoid issues in the near future.

So strangely enough, I replaced the battery and it worked fine for 48 hours and is once again being bypassed.

When I removed it and reinstalled it, I couldnt figure out what to put in the 6 character hex column. Is this potentially causing the errors? I put in something similar to my other motion detectors.

When I removed it and reinstalled it, I couldnt figure out what to put in the 6 character hex column. Is this potentially causing the errors? I put in something similar to my other motion detectors.

Are you referring to the DL ID? Yes that determines what sensor ID codes the panel is listening for and would definitely cause this failure. Always be sure to learn in the the sensor via “Auto-Learn Sensor” under Settings > Advanced > Installation > Devices > Security Sensors.

Using Auto-Learn Sensor will auto-populate the correct id when the sensor is tripped while the panel is listening for devices.

Soo it started happening again after a day or so.

I tried to auto learn sensor. This time nothing happened. I went and rebooted my old iqpanel 1 and got the DL ID off of there. Added the sensor manually and it was all sunshine and kittens for 36 or so hours. Now we’re back to the drawing board as its happening again. any insight? Or is the unit shot?

It worked totally fine before on my IQPanel1. Never had an issue…

Soo it started happening again after a day or so.

To clarify, are you seeing the device actually work and send signals, or just no bypass/malfunction for a while?

What you are describing sounds exactly like a sensor that is not signaling at all, and after the supervision interval each time you edit the sensor the panel recognizes a malfunction and the sensor is bypassed when armed.

You should generally never manually type in a Qolsys DL ID. Always use auto-learn. It is not normal for auto-learn to not work, and that generally indicates the sensor cannot signal to the panel at all.

A few gotchas that can occur:

1. Double check polarity on the battery.
  2. When replacing the batteries, be sure to leave the device unpowered for about 30 to 60 seconds. Not all sensors require this but many do, so best to always do so. This will drain all charge and ensure it hard boots with the new batteries installed.
  3. Batteries can be bad at times, so even if they were purchased new, it would be good to test the batteries either with a voltage tester or another sensor to determine if they are working.

Finally, if none of those help, it very well may be coincidental and the motion detector may have experienced hardware failure.

Thanks for the help… After reading this, I just went out and got another sensor