Help Forum

Glass break detector – heavy curtain

Support Glass break detector – heavy curtain

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Resistace is around 13.6 ohms

Is that at rest or when triggered? Please test both if possible.

Not sure what you mean. The connector to the DW10 is a plug.

Yes, but the other end of the plug wires are bare leads. They are what you soldered to the shock sensor.

Ultimately when troubleshooting you’ll want to isolate and test each possibility one at a time.

You said you had tested the 5150 to make sure they activated. You also said that unplugging the DW10 wired lead caused the DW10 to report open. The DW10 appears to be programmed correctly. These three things are good tests and indicate that they should absolutely function, unless the 5150’s wires were shorted or resistance was not sufficiently changing. We are using the same model products and same firmware panel to test successfully.

Do you have one of the 5150’s and DW10 lead wires that are not soldered together? Please test simply twisting the wires together instead of soldering, do not wrap them, just make sure that the two twisted conductor pairs do not touch each other. Then test the shock sensor. Does it report that way?

redmonkey
    Participant

We may have solved the mistery. It looks like eventhough the wires were not shorted and the resistance value is basically the same (16 ohms closed with a max of 24 per manufacturer and over a mega ohm when tripped) with and without the soldered wires, somehow it’s interfering with the signal to the DW10. Can you recommend what size butt splice to use? For the last set I did, I used some 26-22 AWG but could not get them to crip tight enough for the small wire on the DW10 connector.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

We actually used 26-22 awg. This was what we typically used, if I recall the fit of the DW10 and 5150 wire was rather snug. Needle nose pliers is all that is needed to crimp.

redmonkey
    Participant

Thanks Jason. Does the type double side tape matter or just the standerd 3M foam type work?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

It should be the thin 3m double-sided tape included with the Shock Sensor. If you need to replace just match the thinness if possible. Any double-sided tape should be fine, but given you are looking for vibration, thicker outdoor tape may impact that.

redmonkey
    Participant

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I still can’t get these guys to work. I did get the correct splices but with the same results as above. Event got a brand new piezo and dw10 and learned them into the GC3.

I can do an ohm check and see the piezo trip when I flick it with my finger.

Once learned, it will tamper if I remove the connector from the dw10, but can’t trip it.

Anything else I can try? A setting in the GC3 to check? (besides the sensor settings). This is pretty frustating at this point.

Thanks!

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I still can’t get these guys to work. I did get the correct splices but with the same results as above. Event got a brand new piezo and dw10 and learned them into the GC3.
    I can do an ohm check and see the piezo trip when I flick it with my finger.
    Once learned, it will tamper if I remove the connector from the dw10, but can’t trip it.
    Anything else I can try? A setting in the GC3 to check? (besides the sensor settings). This is pretty frustating at this point.

There is not a lot of variation and there are no additional settings which would need to be addressed.

One thing you might try is updating the firmware on the Control Panel, just to be certain that is not a possible cause of irregularity. The firmware version currently being run is a bit old at this point.

To remove all other possibilities and boil this down to the very basics:

• Take one of the wired DW10 leads, disconnected from the 5150.
    • Twist the leads together. Does the Zone show closed on the panel?
    • Pull the leads apart. Does the Zone show open on the panel?

If you can open and close the zone by just opening and closing the leads of the DW10 wire, there is 100% no programming reason why the 5150 wouldn’t work the exact same way. That would mean that something in the installation of the 5150 is causing the problem, or possibly the original soldering damaged the 5150 due to heat.

What resistance change do you see when you test just the 5150 (when you flick it with your finger)?

redmonkey
    Participant

According to the panel, it does not need a firmware update. Where/how can I download and update?

Your recommnended test worked as it should. I find it very difficult that ive somehow heat damaged 3x 5150s. The one im using to test right now, was never soldered and was crimpped. This 5150 reads 11.4 ohms when closed and open when flicked with my finger.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

The firmware update files and release notes can be found here.

The newest firmware files are at the bottom.

Can you try these after the firmware update?

redmonkey
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll take care of the update this p.m. How long does it usually take once the USB drive is inserted?

Slightly off topic….what do you guys recommend for a glass break sensor? The GB1 doen’t have the best reviews.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Firmware updates via USB usually only take a few minutes. 5-10 maybe.

The GB1 is a solid choice for glass breaks, but it is not perfect for every scenario because it is not as false trigger resistant and does not have sensitivity levels.

The Honeywell 5853 is a good alternative, with selected sensitivity setting and better false trigger reduction.

redmonkey
    Participant

Hello, I updated the firmware with same results. Could it be an issue witht the panel itself? It is less than a year old.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Your recommnended test worked as it should.

Could it be an issue with the panel itself? It is less than a year old.

I hesitate to give a definitive no, typically, for questions like this because strange and unexpected interactions do occur, but if the Sensors properly report when the 5150 removed and just touching the wires together and pulling them apart, then this would very unlikely be a panel specific issue. It is always good to keep firmware upgraded just in case, but in this circumstance the issue is being introduced outside of the sensor to panel interaction.

The sensor doesn’t send any other information than “open/close” to the panel. The panel is just listening for that confirmation.

If the sensor sends a signal on the same loop without the 5150 attached, but not with it attached, the problem is overwhelmingly likely to be an issue with the 5150 or the attachment itself.

Now all that said, you’ve given very detailed description of how it is setup and what was tested, and it definitely does not behave as would be expected. If you get a closed/open response, repeatable, by testing with a multimeter on the 5150 that makes it more of a head-scratcher.

Have you tried the zone as a different zone type by chance?

One thing that has been reported on GC3 3.2+ firmware is that in some isolated cases certain motion detectors no longer follow Interior Follower settings appropriately and trigger during entry delay countdowns.

If you have been always using perimeter for the 5150 zone, maybe as a hail mary test try switching one to 23-No Response type and another to entry exit and see if you get any different result. (I doubt this will have an effect since you could get activity from just touching the wires together, but worth a shot).

Also, just to verify as of your latest testing, how are you testing the sensor, by chimes? Can you confirm that chimes are enabled on those zones and that the volume of chimes and announcements is high?

redmonkey
    Participant

Jason, I did try different zones with basically the same response. It will tamper, but not trip. Far as testing, I was using the installers test or walk thru. Forgot what it’s called. I did turn on chimes during previous testing.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Far as testing, I was using the installers test or walk thru. Forgot what it’s called. I did turn on chimes during previous testing.

Aha, that might actually be an issue here. Have you tried activating the zones normally with chime outside of that test mode, or while the system is armed? Has it always been with walk test on?

We have noticed problems with the Sensor Walk Test on the GC3 on all firmware versions. In general I do not recommend using the walk test, the only benefit it would add is signal strength readings but those are simplistic and not terribly helpful.

The best way to test the sensors is to place your account on test mode with the central station (if you have professional monitoring), arm your panel, and trip them to create an actual alarm scenario. This not only tests the sensor’s communication with the panel, but also sensor programming and expected system reaction.

It looks like this was suggested here, I thought you had confirmed trying to set off an alarm, but the panel walk test issues would certainly explain this behavior succinctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“These people are unbelievably helpful and patient. I switched from another system and they really provided timely and helpful support. I had an existing system and they provided just what was needed.”

Steve K. , Facebook Review , 7/25/2017
Five out of five star rating.

“I was able to setup my whole home security system in an afternoon. It’s worked great ever since… I installed my system over a year ago, and Surety has stood the test of time. I would highly recommend them to friends and family.”

Dallas L. , Austin, TX , Yelp , 12/03/2014
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.