GC3 or IQ Panel 2

Hello everyone, I currently have GC3 and I’m with local company for monitoring. My contract is over and I’m going to make a move on to Surety. I had my GC3 panel replaced 3 times through its life spend as it always had some kind a zwave problems. So before i switch i will like people opinions on new iq2 panels as i’m debating on purchasing. in your opinion what panel is better and works better?

I have about 20 zwave devices, including 3 thermostats, 4 temp sensors, multiple light switches and power metering devices, I also have all honeywell sensors about 40 total including window/door contact, water pump sensors, fire and carbon detectors. So if i go with iq2 I will require a panel with correct board to work with them.

In a pass I did not go with original IQ1 as i heard a lot of complains about panel not working so good and having issues.

As it comes to gc3 not sure if this is just me and zwave problems or that is just something people will run in to.

My latest is that two LED ring goes off after a while and don’y stay on like my previous gc3 did. from what i understand that when ready to arm green will always be on until one of the sensors ore open. and red when system is arm. that is what i remember from previous panel. now at times i will walk to to the panel and found no ring on just off.

Any info will be appreciated.

I had my GC3 panel replaced 3 times through its life spend as it always had some kind a zwave problems. So before i switch i will like people opinions on new iq2 panels as i’m debating on purchasing. in your opinion what panel is better and works better?

I’m sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the panels. That seems like an extreme issue, as three panels with Z-wave radio issues back to back to back is a statistical unicorn. It is probably more likely that the location layout, incompatible devices on the network, or some other installation related cause was to blame. Without any experience with the specific situation I wouldn’t point fingers, but we’ve never seen that kind of problem frequency with GC3 panels and Z-wave. It is always possible for a bad run of panels from a manufacturer, so it is hard to say.

Currently we recommend the IQ Panel 2+ if looking to purchase a new system. They have benefits and exclusive features that place them ahead of other panels currently. These include two brands of compatible encrypted sensors, one encrypted sensor brand with extreme range (Power G), Alarm.com video on the panel screen, Doorbell Camera video on the panel screen.

If you need the 345 MHZ version (compatible with Honeywell and 2GIG sensors), it can be found here. It also is compatible with Power G sensors. The current promotional 6 month trial of service with the purchase of the panel can be applied if you purchase service at the same time.

You could also use your existing GC3 if you wish as long as you have an unregistered Alarm.com communication module.

My latest is that two LED ring goes off after a while and don’y stay on like my previous gc3 did. from what i understand that when ready to arm green will always be on until one of the sensors ore open. and red when system is arm. that is what i remember from previous panel. now at times i will walk to to the panel and found no ring on just off.

LED indicator light inconsistency can definitely be physical circuitry related, but it could also be a panel software glitch. Do you know what firmware version your panel is running?

thank you for replay, latest firmware on the panel. also zwave devices are all on GC3 list and on alarm.com list of compatible devices. not all panels had zwave issues. first panel had sensor issues, never reporting low battery. sensors will just drop off. second panel had zwave issues and now we have LED ring issues. and one of my temp sensors that is 5in away shows low signal. also my GE/jaco zwave switch dont report back to the panel if manual turn off.

would you recommencement iq2 over gc3? Im looking for something trouble free. maybe is just my luck with bad gc3?

and one of my temp sensors that is 5in away shows low signal.
Have you attempted to relocate this sensor? Any change?
also my GE/jaco zwave switch dont report back to the panel if manual turn off.

The light switch can’t tell the controller it has been toggled, so any local change is unknown when it happens, this is normal for non Z-wave plus devices.

would you recommencement iq2 over gc3? Im looking for something trouble free.

The IQ Panel 2+ offers more forward thinking tech. Compatibility with encrypted PowerG sensors which also have great communication range, the ability to answer Alarm.com SkyBell doorbell calls at the panel and Facial Recognition.

It also offers a brighter, larger screen with more fluid controls. Aesthetically speaking its nicer looking and has a lower profile.

The auto learn feature for learning in sensors is a lot more user friendly as well.

While both are good panels, The IQ Panel 2+ does offer more features.

Tyler, all my zwave switches are zwave plus. actually one of them use to be non plus and that one reported to panel every time.

Good to know, yes Z-Wave Plus can report status due to manual toggle. Compatible Z-Wave Plus devices display an updated status as they are interacted with.

What trouble shooting steps have you attempted to fix these switches thus far? Is it all Z-Wave Plus switches that you use that follow this behavior or just a few?

Tyler,

All my GE switches are behaving like that. All of them are z-wave plus switches. Today I receive zooz v2.0 zwave plus a switch and add it to my system. Works great, everything works and switch reports when manually trigger. I guess 2gig does not like GE/jasoc zwave devices.

My other problem with 2gig panel is that my home button and emergency button LEd at times are off. from what I understand is that one of them (emergency) should always be white or flashing white. never off. my at times is off

home button should be green, flashing green or red, and only off when the system is not ready to arm. my at times are just off.

Is there anything Im not understanding or missing?

All my GE switches are behaving like that. All of them are z-wave plus switches. Today I receive zooz v2.0 zwave plus a switch and add it to my system. Works great, everything works and switch reports when manually trigger. I guess 2gig does not like GE/jasoc zwave devices.

To instantly update the controller with status, a device parameter must be set to enable this. By default, some earlier Z-wave plus devices may not have that parameter enabled. Newer ones almost certainly do have that enabled by default. That likely explains what you are seeing. Unfortunately the panel cannot control these advanced device parameters, but secondary controller may be able to.

home button should be green, flashing green or red, and only off when the system is not ready to arm. my at times are just off.

Is there anything Im not understanding or missing?

Panel lights will switch off when in programming mode. If you are noticing this happen under normal panel operation outside of programming, a reboot of the panel would be a good test to see if it corrects the issue.