Garage Door Opener compatability

My 20 year old Chamberlain garage door opener just died today.
I had just installed the Go Control GD00Z-4 Z-wave plus unit a few months ago and it has worked excellent.

Is it correct the GD00Z-4 is not compatible with any new Chamberlain that are offered at the Big box stores currently?

Is it better to pay extra to purchase a WiFi Chamberlain garage door opener or non-WiFi and buy the MyQ Hub? Is it correct that if you have a WiFi version you do not need the extra hub?

Is there other garage door opener options that can still use the GD00Z that can be purchased new in the big box stores?

Any opinions or recommendations on which way will be the most reliable and cost effective long term?

If a new opener is needed I would go one of two ways. You could get a new Chamberlain wifi overhead unit with a MyQ gateway built in, no additional hardware would be required if the overhead Chamberlain unit has wifi built in. If you have access to using Z-wave garage opener options through Surety, you also have MyQ control. That’s what I personally use at my house. It is reliant upon itself only and is generally what I would recommend if you have a blank slate to work with.

Alternatively if you prefer the Z-wave controller you could go with pretty much any older non-MyQ model of opener. You are correct that it is not compatible with the newest MyQ openers.

OK Jason, thanks for the suggestion.
I went ahead and replaced my old garage door opener with a new Chamberlain B750 (with WiFi).
Do I need to get the Chamberlain App first to get the WiFi connected to it?
Can you please clarify the overall instructions to get it connected to my Surety account?
Thank you.

You’ll want to follow the instructions packaged with the specific overhead model for connecting it to wifi. This is usually before any processes with the App, but always check the manufacturer’s instructions. I’ve attached the relevant steps from the manual. You can stop after step 3.

Once it is connected to your network, you do not use the Chamberlain MyQ app, you would log into Alarm.com and navigate to Settings > Devices > Liftmaster Installation. Here, Alarm.com walks you through all the steps of the linking/setup process based on your type of garage operator. You will need the serial number off of the overhead unit (identifies the gateway so ADC can link it).

Thanks again Jason!

OK, I got it to work with your instructions. Straightforward and simple. It works fine so far, albeit I opened and closed it only about 10 times this evening.

So interestingly, my Chamberlain B750 owners manual did not have the same instructions you provided.
The MyQ Smartphone Control information is on the same page (32) you show, it lists the ‘You will need:’ the same, but it then jumps to ‘Download MyQ App to setup an account and connect’.
It is missing the part about ‘activate WiFi mode’ and ‘use your mobile device to connect to the home wifi’.

Not sure I would have got the same result as simple if I had set up an account through the App first…

Not sure I would have got the same result as simple if I had set up an account through the App first….

No, the controller can only be tied to one account at a time and setting it up with Chamberlain would preclude adding it to ADC. You would have to delete it from Chamberlain app to go forward in that case.

Thank you for letting us know about the manual. Would you mind posting an image of that section of the manual? When I searched for the manual the linked suggestion you followed is what I got as results from Chamberlain.

Jason, here is the pages of my Chamberlain B750 manual.