Frontpoint

I am new to the forum and I know you can’t directly speak for Frontpoint who I currently have a year and a half left of the contract with but I have a question. I purchased a IQ Panel 2 Plus because I need and want the additional features that it offers. Frontpoint is giving me a hard time in even trying to add the panel to my account. They are saying it hasnt been tested on their system. The panel is an alarm.com approved device so does anyone know if it should work on with them. They support the original IQ panel so I would think it would work. I’m not sure if they are only giving me a hard time because I didn’t purchase equipment through them. I told them I wanted to at least try and I will take my chances with it and see if it will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the panel and would like to start using it but I can’t justify paying a $1,000 to get out of a contract early. Eventually I will end up over here which is why I am asking this community for some help.

Thanks in advance

I understand the frustration and we are always happy to help! Unfortunately in this case we are extremely limited in what we can do.

We cannot influence a different provider’s supported equipment, and this is a case where it would be completely at their discretion which panels to support and allow, regardless of compatibility with the back-end service.

We really can’t say with any certainty why one is chosen over another. They may not be set up to provide tech support for that model. Likewise some dealers have a hard stance and won’t provide service for panels purchased from a third party.

Anything that is non-proprietary and compatible with ADC can be used here, and we support compatible equipment regardless of the original vendor. Not all providers do.

I wouldn’t suggest deception, though you might try asking if you could swap to another Qolsys Panel instead of specifying the 2 to see if the model matters as much as the vendor.

As someone who was with Frontpoint for 8 or more years, I can tell you this is their standard response to any equipment you don’t purchase from them. Whether it be a smart lock or a door sensor, they act like that.

The reality is if its alarm.com approved, it should work just fine via Frontpoint. While they can customize their end product, they’re using the same alarm.com platform as many providers use. I have over 20 Z Wave devices, locks, sensors (door, motion, glass break, water, etc.), thermostat. Didn’t buy a single one from Frontpoint. It helps that I know how to enroll my own devices. It’s often brain damage talking to their reps about this stuff. So refreshing coming to SuretyDIY, who has knowledgeable technicians and great support platform. (Not to mention being far cheaper. I was paying $49.99/mo on Frontpoint and now paying $27.95)

Thanks for the quick response.

I told them I would sign a waiver or something that says I am using un-supported equipment and let them off the hook if it were to malfunction in an emergency. I got no response back. They are coming out with their own central hub in a few months which is dumbing down their system. It has only a keypad, no screen of any sort. I told them that is the complete opposite of what I need. I need to control my 3 thermostats, multiple door locks, 2 dozen light switches etc from the panel for the people that don’t have a smart phone. They are going in the opposite direction in what I am into. I like technology and I think they are trying to sell to people not tech savy. Only type your code in like we did 20 years ago. Take a look for yourself. https://new.frontpointsecurity.com/ This makes me want to just pay the cancellation fee of $800 right now and start over fresh with my new panel with surety. This way I won’t have to redo the panel and z-wave devices again. I am waiting to see their response on just trying the panel and I will take the chance it doesn’t work properly. I love how suretydiy doesn’t restrict users to using old (I am stuck with a simon xt which came out almost 10 years ago) devices. I basically have a smart house with a 10 year old device as the hub. In technology years that is ancient.

Agree that the new product seems like a step backward. With so many varied, alarm.com-compatible devices, I don’t like being told I’m restricted to a small subset of them. If it’s a support issue, Frontpoint needs to step up their game and better understand a wider variety of products. I think, however, we know why they’re pushing back. They make more money pushing you to buy through them. They don’t make a dime on any product you buy on Amazon or elsewhere.

I think their business model will be in trouble over the next few years. People are getting smarter about how this stuff works, and more companies will likely license the alarm.com platform which will put downward pressure on what they can charge.

Back to your original issue…I agree with Jason, just tell them it’s the original panel, not the 2 version. They’ll get into their set up and it will likely enroll fine.

I am currently on a ship but when I get back home I am going to try to enroll it as the IQ Panel and see what happens. The setup process should be the same regardless of the new or old version. With that new hub they are pushing, it almost appears they are trying to get away from the alarm.com platform that made them who they are. If they market their own device they think it will make them more money but they don’t have the technology to keep up with alarm.com devices. I appreciate the support and eventually you will see me as suretydiy subscriber.

Nowheres on their new site do I see a mention of their app or anything alarm.com related. The camera’s look the same so I am assuming they will still use the alarm.com app. idk

Nowheres on their new site do I see a mention of their app or anything alarm.com related. The camera’s look the same so I am assuming they will still use the alarm.com app. idk

The doorbell camera looks to be the ADC Skybell Slim Line, but it may be that the same housing could be used with other new models, I couldn’t say with 100% certainty.

If you are interested in suretyDIY in the future, you would just need to purchase service here and the panel module would need to be unregistered.

Your interest in the IQ Panel 2 is certainly well placed. It currently has the most Alarm.com device integration. Alarm.com video on the panel screen, including doorbell cameras and two way video audio, is currently an exclusive feature to the IQ Panel 2 and IQ Panel 2 plus.

I will be switching over, depending how things go with Frontpoint when I get home in a month, may be sooner than later. When that time comes, and I have the module unregistered, will I have to redo my whole system? For instance re-learn all my sensors, z-wave devices, cameras, thermostats, locks, svr? Also including the alarm.com settings (rules, automation, notifications)? Or will you have access to the backup? Would be nice to not have to redo it all but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I wouldn’t mind learning everything back in in a more organized fashion. I have been adding devices here and there for 4 years. If not, would it be like when I began? With a new alarm.com account and start learning devices in and making all the rules?

When that time comes, and I have the module unregistered, will I have to redo my whole system? For instance re-learn all my sensors, z-wave devices, cameras, thermostats, locks, svr? Also including the alarm.com settings (rules, automation, notifications)? Or will you have access to the backup?

A new dealer would not have access to any information from your prior dealer account when setting up a new Alarm.com account for you, but no sensor backup would be necessary.

Local panel programming such as alarm sensors and Z-wave devices is unaffected by a switch, and all of your devices controlled by the panel directly would simply populate in your new Alarm.com account after connecting your panel to service.

Rules, notifications, and third party or IP-only devices like Cameras, Liftmaster, Lutron etc., must be set up again in your new account.

Thanks Jason, one last question. If I can’t get the IQ Panel 2 working with Frontpoint and I come over here with the new panel, I will have to setup everything like I am a new customer since nothing will be loaded onto the panel yet?

Yes that would be the case. When making the switch, local panel programming would be unaffected but if there are currently no sensors learned into the IQ Panel 2 Plus they would need to be learned into panel locally.

Thanks Tyler, makes sense.

Have a good day

I soon will be making the switch from Frontpoint (Simon XT) over to SuretyDIY. I had a few questions for the process of doing so. I won’t be bringing my panel over as I have a new unregistered IQ 2 Panel +(Interlogix model).

-Will I need to remove all my Z-wave devices (light switches/outlets/door locks) from my Simon XT?
-Will I need to remove my sensors/cameras/SVR/flood sensors/sirens etc from my Simon XT?
-Should I perform a reset on the Simon XT so it unlearns all this devices? or just terminate service and begin service with you loading them all back in? I don’t want the device/sensors being unable to learn into the system because they are in the old one.

I want to come over with the new panel and start from scratch loading all my devices and sensors back in.

As for my alarm.com account. Frontpoint will close the alarm.com account and I will have a new alarm.com login and account with you? Should I delete the app? I already printed all my rules/schedules/automation so I can replicate it easily.

How about all my family members with their app and their geo settings. Should I delete the apps when I cancel service and load it again once I have the new account? I don’t want to have any complications from their app or geo settings trying to reach the old account.

Anything else I should do once I cancel service with them before contacting you to register my panel and starting service?

Thanks

Will I need to remove all my Z-wave devices (light switches/outlets/door locks) from my Simon XT?

Yes, but you can do so with the Qolsys Panel. You wouldn’t need to delete them from the Simon exactly, you need to clear the Simon’s network link which is saved in each individual Z-wave device.

Z-wave is a 2-way communication network, so devices can only pair with one parent controller at a time. The Remove/Clear device feature on a controller followed by activating that device’s learn process will delete the parent network link saved in the device.

Will I need to remove my sensors/cameras/SVR/flood sensors/sirens etc from my Simon XT?

Cameras and SVR do not connect to the panel directly and are not learned in through it. They simply communicate across wifi through your internet connection with ADC. You would need to delete them from your other ADC account under the Video Settings page though.

Sensors do not need to be deleted, they are one way communication, the panel just needs to be programmed to listen for them.

What siren are you referring to? Do you have a separate Z-wave siren?

Should I perform a reset on the Simon XT so it unlearns all this devices? or just terminate service and begin service with you loading them all back in? I don’t want the device/sensors being unable to learn into the system because they are in the old one.

This would have no bearing at all on whether the devices could be reused. See above.

As for my alarm.com account. Frontpoint will close the alarm.com account and I will have a new alarm.com login and account with you?

Correct, well insofar as it would be a new account with us. I couldn’t say exactly what another dealer’s process would be, some dealers may leave the account open for a while, that’s why I suggest deleting the cameras in your video page since they can only be assigned to one account at a time.

Should I delete the app? I already printed all my rules/schedules/automation so I can replicate it easily.

How about all my family members with their app and their geo settings. Should I delete the apps when I cancel service and load it again once I have the new account? I don’t want to have any complications from their app or geo settings trying to reach the old account.

This is a good question, and if you are just using the standard Alarm.com app I do not believe there would be a reason why you would need to since it would be the same app and the account access is tied to credentials, not your software.

That said, if they do not delete your old account right away, some notifications may continue for the old account, and since some setup options like Geoservices and Push Notifications generate permissions in ADC based on when they are turned on in the App settings, it wouldn’t hurt or take long to delete the app and re-install to start fresh, just to avoid any possible confusion. It is probably better to do it that way.

Anything else I should do once I cancel service with them before contacting you to register my panel and starting service?

As far as getting set up with us, no, all you would need to do is purchase service here. Once you submit your order survey which is generated after your purchase, your order would be processed during business hours by our customer service team and you would receive a Welcome email with initial credentials and instructions to get started.

As someone who recently moved over from Frontpoint, I can comment about what I had to do in order to move over to SuretyDIY. I was not under contract but the Simon XT module was registered to Frontpoint. When I called they told me it wouldn’t be a problem cancelling, but I had to give 30 days notice, so my service would continue through the end of November (I called in mid-October I think). It was indeed my expectation that I’d still have to pay for November, which was no problem, but I asked them to cancel right away so I could immediately register the module to the new provider. Initially they indicated this was not possible, as the service had to continue through the end of the following month. (They said something about they only do cancellations once per month, at the end, which I find ludicrous). Anyway, after much back and forth they agreed to change the module on my account to some bogus number. Apparently they have some old modules numbers hanging around that they use for this purpose. Once they did this, I was immediately able to verify the module showed as unregistered in the SuretyDIY module check tool.

One other note…I continue to get daily emails from Frontpoint saying my panel hasn’t communicated since XXXX. I just set up an email rule to put these emails directly into the trash.

Hi.

I’ve been browsing your site and checking here for a long time, but have Frontpoint service. I have the IQ panel (v1).

All has been fine, but I’ve been waiting for Frontpoint to upgrade to the IQ2+ panel. We’ll I called tonight after I noticed on their web-site that all of the old panels are gone, and there’s only a new Frontpoint Hub. I called and that’s it. Very disappointing.

I’m now thinking of switching to you guys, and just starting to research.

Assuming I can purchase the IQ2+ from you, and then switch all of my old sensors from the old IQ1 panel to the new IQ2+ panel?

I have 40+ 319mhz devices, no z-wave (moved that all to HomeKit), and a few cameras.

It’s seems like I can get the same 24x7 monitoring thru you guys, I lose call-center support, but then I pick up this web-site for support.

I’d still use the alarm.com app and web-site, just like I do today.

Anything else that I should know if I move over?

Thanks.

Happy to help out!

Assuming I can purchase the IQ2+ from you, and then switch all of my old sensors from the old IQ1 panel to the new IQ2+ panel? I have 40+ 319mhz devices, no z-wave (moved that all to HomeKit), and a few cameras.

Yes, we sell the IQ Panel 2 Plus here.

The model we sell uses 319.5 GE and Power G radios. It would be compatible with existing 319 sensors.

It’s seems like I can get the same 24×7 monitoring thru you guys, I lose call-center support, but then I pick up this web-site for support.

Not all monitoring is made the same :wink: But yes, service through suretyDIY can be purchased with or without 24/7 professional monitoring performed through AvantGuard Monitoring Centers. AvantGuard utilizes two fully redundant, UL listed, CSAA 5-Diamond Certified and geographically separate monitoring centers.

I’d still use the alarm.com app and web-site, just like I do today.

Correct.

Anything else that I should know if I move over?

Note that the Alarm.com Image Sensor is not compatible with the IQ Panel 2 Plus, in case you have existing Image Sensors.

Alarm.com video, including the Video Doorbell can be streamed on the IQ Panel 2 Plus screen, with two way audio through the doorbell, in case video is of interest.

Thanks Jason for the quick response.

Can I order the IQ2+, move all the sensors over to you, get it all working, and then disconnect Frontpoint later, or is it one process where my alarm.com account moves over? Or maybe I just move my existing setup (IQ1) over, and then upgrade the panel after? What’s the usual easiest path to transition?

How does the warranty of hardware all work? With Frontpoint, if I call within the 3 year warranty, they just send a replacement.

Assume that I’d give AvantGuard all the same police/fire permit info that I gave Frontpoint? and pretty much the 24x7 central monitoring will be similar. I’ll just lose the technical support, which I really don’t need, and I’ll have this great forum, which Frontpoint has zero online support.

The PowerG sensors seem cool. I have no image sensors today.

Thanks again.

Can I order the IQ2+, move all the sensors over to you, get it all working, and then disconnect Frontpoint later, or is it one process where my alarm.com account moves over?

Signing up for service results in a new Alarm.com account.

To use the existing IQ Panel with service this page goes over the steps to get started. Your existing service would need to be cancelled prior to getting started with the existing system.

One benefit of connecting the existing panel first is the possibility of trying a backup and restore to take all existing sensors and users from the Qolsys Panel and applying them to the IQ Panel 2 Plus without individually programming. This might save some programming time.

If you would like to program the sensors individually you could just get started with a new IQ Panel 2 Plus and enroll the same sensors into it at any time.

How does the warranty of hardware all work? With Frontpoint, if I call within the 3 year warranty, they just send a replacement.

Warranty is processed through the vendor you purchased your equipment from. We cannot provide warranty on products purchased from other vendors, though they may of course be used.

For all products purchased through suretyDIY, we match the Manufacturer’s warranty on all equipment. This will sometimes differ by product. The IQ Panel 2 Plus is a one year warranty. Warranty and product return policy is described here.

Assume that I’d give AvantGuard all the same police/fire permit info that I gave Frontpoint?

Yes, you would provide any relevant permit info to our customer service team upon setting up an account and we will have it added to your central station info.