Support Forum

Flakey Video – How to fix?

Support Flakey Video – How to fix?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

swtzero
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m actually not a Surety Home customer, but user the same alarm.com tools via a service in canada called Bell Home Security (formally Alarm Force).

I have the exact same issues described by ImpetuousRacer. I came accross this post on Google via the error he had posted word-for-word. This has been an on-off issues since getting on board since last spring when I joined.

I have 2 HD cameras joined to an ASUS RT-N66U. Camera 1 points to the driveway, the other the front door. The FD camea is physically closerm, and connects easier than the D cam since it’s further away. They both seem to still follow motion detection rules properly, and record when there is movement. However whenever I attempt to view a ‘live’ capture, it fails to connect. I can cycle the cams and it will connect, then disconnect after a short while, but still recording any motion detection.

I can push each camera to record a 50-60s clip no problem and view it in the saved videos list, but can’t get a live feed.

The iOS app also has trouble conencting to the live feed.

@impetuousracer – did you ever close this issue?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

However whenever I attempt to view a ‘live’ capture, it fails to connect.

Just to clarify, do you mean whenever you attempt to just view the live stream it doesn’t connect?

When you say live capture it makes me suspect you’re referring to manual snapshots, etc., but I don’t think that would be the case.

What is the model number of the cameras? What firmware version are they currently running? This can be found on the Video Device Info page in ADC.

swtzero
    Participant

Just to clarify, do you mean whenever you attempt to just view the live stream it doesn’t connect?

That is correct. Attached a screenshot of the UI. This inability to see these snapshots happened on my PC and in the iOS app.

However it seems I have an update here. I initially was testing from my inside my corporate office network. When I went home and tried to observe alarm.com via my home network, I could view both camera snapshots without issue.

I came into the office today and instead of connecting my laptop to the network, I instead connected it to my iPhone tether cellular network. Under this condition, I was able to see the snapshots load. Attached screenshot #2.

I asked my network guys today if there was anything on our network that could prevent flash content from loading, and they said “Only if it was malicious”. They determine this via a lookup list with a provider. I have to assume that Alarm.com might be on that list?

The behavior is repeated on the iPhone iOS app. Connect to cellular network -> Can view snapshot. Connect to corporate wifi -> Cannot view.

This would explain why the camera recording rules are still triggering and taking snapshots of movement in front of them even though I could not view live shots from the office.

Anyway, I’m hoping this feedback can help. There isn’t a lot of resources on this online.

What is the model number of the cameras? What firmware version are they currently running? This can be found on the Video Device Info page in ADC.

Camera Model: ADC-V722W
    Firmware Version: IB8363-ALAM-0100f5

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I asked my network guys today if there was anything on our network that could prevent flash content from loading, and they said “Only if it was malicious”. They determine this via a lookup list with a provider. I have to assume that Alarm.com might be on that list?

Your issue is certainly not related to the original thread in this case.

Your local work network is blocking the traffic. The feed is not “malicious.” The content is being filtered by whatever set of rules they use. You would need to work with your network admin to determine if they can allow the feed.

swtzero
    Participant

Yes. Your assessment is I think where this landed and is not similar to @impetuousracer after all after some test cases. I just wanted to ensure anyone reading this understood that although the symptom was similar, it was definitely different cause.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I just wanted to ensure anyone reading this understood that although the symptom was similar, it was definitely different cause.

Not a problem, yeah that’s why I called it out too. We appreciate the follow up and clarification. Hopefully you can get this sorted with the IT folks there.

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

I wanted to follow up on this. I tried viewing the videos streams from Alarm.com again.

-They seem to be working properly now on FireFox 66.0.5.
    -With Chrome V74 I cant find any way to allow Flash at all, it looks like Chrome has fully blocked Flash now.
    -Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0 still times out after a couple minutes.

I did not change or update any of the network settings. I noticed that the flash player loading controls looked different.

Changes since last time…
    Windows 10 1903, Updated with latest flash update
    Updated all the Unifi Software to the latest.

Will Alarm.com be switching from Flash to a supported video streaming type? If so, is there an ETA?

Thanks.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

-With Chrome V74 I cant find any way to allow Flash at all, it looks like Chrome has fully blocked Flash now.

I do not see any error viewing video on V74 Chrome.

Check chrome://settings/content/flash

You can toggle Flash between prompt to run and full block.

Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0 still times out after a couple minutes.

There is a natural ~3 minute timeout on streams from the Alarm.com website, is that what you are seeing? Is this different from what you are seeing on Firefox?

You should be able to just tap/click to refresh the stream.

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

I go to chrome://settings/content/flash and no sites are listed as Block or Allow

Ask first (recommended) is on.

I go to Alarm.com, I click the lock icon before the URL, Site Settings, Flash, and it is set to Block (default).

I change to Allow, and it reverts back to Block instantly. In essence, it will not allow me to Allow Flash at all.

I click on the lock, and where it says Flash, I set to allow. This still doesn’t allow flash to work. I see “Get Adobe Flash Player” on the page.

Chrome V74.0.3729.157 (64-bit)

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I am using the same version of Chrome. Interesting, it works as expected here.

Do you have any security extensions or pop-up/ad blockers which may inadvertently or otherwise block flash? What anti-virus software is installed?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

Thanks for the insight. I disabled all my extensions one by one. It turns out it was the Private Internet Access Chrome Extension. Even though the VPN was not turned on, it apparently does a number of things, including Blocking Flash when installed. It has settings where I was able to turn off that option. It now works.

Also, it appears that Chrome and FF both work without issues now. No more camera feeds immediately dropping out and they are staying connected. So I’m not sure what changed, but it is working as expected now. Thanks for the help on this!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Log in or register here.

Value Proposition

Your home is your domain.
Connecting you with it is ours.

Learn about Surety whole home automation and security.

Just need cameras? Check out Surety 24/7 AI powered video.

Whether you’re a security system novice or a seasoned pro, everything we do is designed to make monitoring your Surety Home incredibly simple and enjoyable.

Guy Relaxing in Chair
New title
Five out of five star rating.

“These guys know what they are talking about. They were able to answer all of my questions and help me design a great, affordable home security/automation system. They’ve been just as helpful even after the sale in answering any of my questions.”

Nick A. , Columbus, OH , Google Review
Five out of five star rating.

“Just wanted to say that so far I am extremely happy with my decision to go with Surety… I have been reading these boards for a few days and I am INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED by the responsiveness… You guys are doing a fantastic job!”

gnadan , Surety Forum Review , 6/28/2018
View more
Plans

We offer plans to fit everybody’s needs.

Shop Plans

No products in the cart.