Flakey Video – How to fix?

DIY Home Security Forums Technical Support Flakey Video – How to fix?

This topic contains 35 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jason Jason 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Great, thank you.

One option we can try to see if it is an issue with ADC reaching the cameras is to forward ports.

Try setting up port forwarding in your router to one of the camera’s private IP address over the Port and HTTPS port listed on the Video Device Info page for that camera.

Wait a few minutes then try testing the stream. Any change for that cam?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

Great, thank you.

One option we can try to see if it is an issue with ADC reaching the cameras is to forward ports.

Try setting up port forwarding in your router to one of the camera’s private IP address over the Port and HTTPS port listed on the Video Device Info page for that camera.

Wait a few minutes then try testing the stream. Any change for that cam?

So I did as suggested and tested with one camera. It appeared to be successful.

So I put all of the cameras on a static ip address outside of the dhcp. Then I port forwarded the http & https port for each camera. I retested.

It still does the same thing with dropping out.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

It still does the same thing with dropping out

That is unexpected. Could you describe your network structure a bit more? Are you using an ISP supplied modem in bridge mode with your own router?

Or is the ISP supplied device also functioning in a gateway/router mode?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

That is unexpected. Could you describe your network structure a bit more? Are you using an ISP supplied modem in bridge mode with your own router?

Or is the ISP supplied device also functioning in a gateway/router mode?

I really do not think it has anything to do with the network as it streams perfectly fine on my app on my phone and also on my SVR. It is only on the website.. and when viewing it on my phone app while on the website, the video never drops out, it’s just an issue on the webpage.

I have a DOCSIS 3.1 Motorola MB8600 cable modem (Comcast Coax connects to it), CAT6 connects that to a Ubiquiti Unifi USG-Pro-4 Gateway > Cat6 Connects that to a Unifi 48 500W Switch. The cameras are plugged into this switch. Every wifi and wired device in my house is rock solid.

Due to it happening on multiple browsers, on my LAN or not, with sometimes it works, most of the time it doesnt, with one camera, multiple cameras, and different cameras dropping out, and it immediately reconnecting after, I feel like it is something of a bug on how it is loading on web on their end.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Due to it happening on multiple browsers, on my LAN or not, with sometimes it works, most of the time it doesnt, with one camera, multiple cameras, and different cameras dropping out, and it immediately reconnecting after, I feel like it is something of a bug on how it is loading on web on their end.

You are almost certainly correct here, but Port forwarding was expected to bypass the issue in this case as it was still expected to be related to the ADC VPN. In any case I’ll let ADC know and will report back with any suggested testing, though the fix is likely on the back end in this case and likely related to the X26 camera models.

We will also update here once the issue is identified

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

Another quick test to see if we can create a change in your system, could you power down the SVR, then wait 5 minutes, then try viewing the streams on the website?

Any change with the SVR powered down?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

Another quick test to see if we can create a change in your system, could you power down the SVR, then wait 5 minutes, then try viewing the streams on the website?

Any change with the SVR powered down?

So I unplugged the SVR for 5+ minutes and it appears to be working “better” now on the webpage.
    All cameras appear to be staying on for the first page of videos I bring up.

I have 7 cameras. ADC only lets you view 4 max at a time per page. If I open 2 pages up to see all 7, one camera drops out now.
    It also seems like if I open ADC, go to Videos, and view one page of cameras it works, but if I switch to the other page with the rest of the cameras, one will drop out. If I refresh that page a couple times and wait long enough I can get all the cameras working. But if I switch back to the other page, a camera will drop out. Almost like they have a limit of simultaneous streams on the page (Let’s say 4?) and when I switch pages to the other cameras feed, it still thinks I am streaming the other cameras (if that makes sense).

Also, before it almost seemed like if I tried the webpage video stream shortly after plugging in the SVR it would drop out quicker than if the SVR was on for a while. Almost like it took time to create a buffer.

When I setup the camera port forwarding, I also opened up the ports on the SVR.

What’s your thoughts?

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

What’s your thoughts?

That is very strange since that suggests again bandwidth limitations based on your description.

I’m sending this to ADC to look at and consider options. Will post back responses.

I’ll check if there are any simultaneous stream limitations and whether or not what you are describing is possibly an issue (streams still open after navigating away)

Also, before it almost seemed like if I tried the webpage video stream shortly after plugging in the SVR it would drop out quicker than if the SVR was on for a while. Almost like it took time to create a buffer.

Did you try this a few times and see the same pattern over and over?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

Did you try this a few times and see the same pattern over and over?

It did appears to be a pattern after trying multiple times with the SVR unplugged. a) It worked better b) Only one camera out of both pages would drop out.

Should I unplug the SVR again this week and try again?

Tyler
    Tyler
    Surety

To confirm, while the SVR is powered down and attempting to view all 7 cameras at one time, only 1 drops out? Is this when switching between pages or having two tabs open (or both?)

I have updated the ADC team that is looking into this issue. Will post back a with further T/S steps when made available.

In the meantime, try unplugging the SVR again and note any change.

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

To confirm, while the SVR is powered down and attempting to view all 7 cameras at one time, only 1 drops out? Is this when switching between pages or having two tabs open (or both?)

I have updated the ADC team that is looking into this issue. Will post back a with further T/S steps when made available.

In the meantime, try unplugging the SVR again and note any change.

So I tested today. Unplugged the SVR for hour. Brought up ADC webpage with Video Feed of 3 feeds. Same problem as usual with one of the video feeds dropping out shortly.

So I guess having the SVR unplugged isnt a fix. Not sure what to do at this point.

Attachments:
    Jason
    Jason
    Surety

We’ve checked with ADC on this, but it is proving hard to replicate. There is no update yet unfortunately. To verify the intention, are you looking to have multiple streams open without time-out watching the live view? Do you intend to view at all times or just periodically on a laptop, etc.?

Since this appears to be a back-end website specific issue, one possible work-around may be to use a version of the Alarm.com Video app if possible. Do you have a Fire TV Stick or Fire Tablet? Or do you have Apple TV?

ImpetuousRacer
    Participant

We’ve checked with ADC on this, but it is proving hard to replicate. There is no update yet unfortunately. To verify the intention, are you looking to have multiple streams open without time-out watching the live view? Do you intend to view at all times or just periodically on a laptop, etc.?

Since this appears to be a back-end website specific issue, one possible work-around may be to use a version of the Alarm.com Video app if possible. Do you have a Fire TV Stick or Fire Tablet? Or do you have Apple TV?

I would like when necessary on laptop or desktop to be able to pull up all streams simultaneously to view what is going on at the property without time-out.

In reality, it is hardly ever needed. In order of use, I usually
    a) Pull up the camera feed to look at on the ADC app (wish it had grid view instead of single camera view like Hikvision has)
    b) Pull up the SVR grid feed of all the cameras on my living room TV Scarface style
    c) View individual camera feed at IQ2 Panel
    d) Review SVR footage on the website
    e) Review all cameras while working at desk

I do have Apple TV, FireTV, Roku, etc. Is there a separate ‘ADC Video’ app, or just ADC apps for them?
    Also, will iPad ADC app offer multiple camera view over single like the iPhone app does?

If it was something easy to fix I wanted to resolve. Turning out not so. The other methods work fine for my main use, so it’s really not a huge deal. When/if a solution comes up for this, please post. Or if I find a firmware update or other fix I find, I’ll post. Otherwise, I’ll just use the other methods for now.
    Appreciate all the help deep diving into this.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

I do have Apple TV, FireTV, Roku, etc. Is there a separate ‘ADC Video’ app, or just ADC apps for them?

Yes, for Apple TV and for FireTV and Fire tablets there is an Alarm.com Video app, distinct from the normal app, which is designed specifically and only for surveillance purposes. It works much better in general if you are looking to monitor multiple streams at a time, being purpose built for it, and would probably be a good work-around.

Also, will iPad ADC app offer multiple camera view over single like the iPhone app does?

While there is an Alarm.com Video specific app for Fire Tablets, there is not one at this time for iPads.

However, this is a good question, because the iPad does not use a ported version of the iPhone Alarm.com app, it is a dedicated build for the iPad with differences from the mobile app.

I don’t remember specifically how the video page is laid out on the iPad app but I do believe it resembles the website over the mobile app. I’ll double check and confirm here.

If it was something easy to fix I wanted to resolve. Turning out not so. The other methods work fine for my main use, so it’s really not a huge deal. When/if a solution comes up for this, please post. Or if I find a firmware update or other fix I find, I’ll post. Otherwise, I’ll just use the other methods for now.
    Appreciate all the help deep diving into this.

Thank you for your patience, yes, we’ll keep checking with ADC engineers on the ticket. We will post any updates from Alarm.com here.

Jason
    Jason
    Surety

As an update, the iPad app is a bit of a middle ground between website and iPhone app, but does not have quite the same multi-stream capability as the website. The best workaround would be Apple TV or Fire TV, Fire tablet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.