Firmware update issues

Last night I called the Central Station to place my system in test mode so I could update the firmware from an older version (older than 1.9). I watched the video and carefully followed the instructions provided to update from 1.9.6 to 1.19.3 but ran into the following issues:

After login in alarm.com, I noticed that all of my sensors disappeared (see attached) and I have not been able to add them manually to set the notifications. I am not sure if you can send a command to reset everything back to what it was before, please do so if you can. It looks like I can arm/disarm from the app and 2GIG-CP21-345E control panel; no issues there.

Somehow, all the users’ passcodes were erased and my passcode (master user) was reset to 1111. I changed it manually in alarm.com but now I can’t access the panel’s installer toolbox nor change any of the sensors’ settings. I was able to verify the control panel’s version and it apparently updated to version 1.9.6; that’s where I stopped to update the TS1.

After updating the control panel to version 1.9.6, I attempted to update the TS1 to Part1 (V1.8.5_8748) but after restarting, I got a blank screen and have not been able to proceed any further because the TS1 buttons are not responding. I purchased the TS1 at your suretydiy.com store after running into a similar issue about 3 years ago and it has been working until last night. I tried to perform a factory reset by pressing the Home and Emergency buttons, but nothing happens. I read once on your forum that you can send a command to reset the panel, please do so to see if that solves my issue; I do not want to continue purchasing TS1’s after every firmware update.

Happy to assist!

Last night I called the Central Station to place my system in test mode so I could update the firmware from an older version (older than 1.9)

Currently, your panel is reporting 1.9.6 which is quite old. Records indicate that your recent firmware prior to this issue was 1.14.0.2. This firmware version is actually newer than 1.9.6. The most recent firmware version for your panel is 1.19.3.

There is a known issue when trying to update to a firmware version older than 1.14 that will actually cause the panel to factory reset. It appears that may have been the case here. More information on this issue can be found here.

I am not sure if you can send a command to reset everything back to what it was before, please do so if you can

It is possible to apply a stored backup from 6/20/2019 to your panel. Commands have been sent to apply that backup now. Please wait about fifteen minutes for commands to take effect. During this time you will not want to enter programming mode as this can cause damage to the panel.

Note that Image sensors, Z-Wave devices and secondary keypads are not included in the backup and can not be restored. These would need to be learned in manually.

After updating the control panel to version 1.9.6, I attempted to update the TS1 to Part1 (V1.8.5_8748) but after restarting, I got a blank screen and have not been able to proceed any further because the TS1 buttons are not responding.

The TS1 firmware should not be downgraded and should match the main panel’s firmware up until version 1.16. Rolling it back to 1.8.5 could cause issues.

The most recent firmware for the TS1 would be 1.16, this version is compatible with all main panel versions of 1.16 on up to 1.19.3. Note that the main panel firmware of 1.19.3 and the corresponding TS1 firmware of 1.16 can be found here.

To troubleshoot, hold the 2 face buttons down on the TS1 for a full 30 seconds. The TS1 should power down at some point during the process. Then keep holding them until both light up. Any change?

After the backup restore, I was able to see the sensors’ names on the control panel but all of them are listed as “unused” without their serial numbers. I still can’t see them on alarm.com. Do I need to re-learn them all over again?

I was able to update the control panel to 1.19.3 but the TS1 is still showing a blank screen; both buttons stay lit after powering up and holding the home and emergency buttons but nothing happens afterwards. Since nothing was displayed on the screen, I tried to flash the TS1 to version 1.8.5 and 1.9; the program shows that apparently I have version 1.8 installed but waited about an hour and nothing happened. The TS1 was listed as “unused” on the control panel prior to trying all these steps so I am afraid my 3rd TS1 is bricked once again. TS1’s firmware updates have always been problematic as the 4-pin connector sits loosely on the TS1’s pin holes and can easily disconnect while attempting to do something else (i.e., unplug power supply). Is there a new 4-pin connector that’s thicker to prevent this? How much do you charge for providing OTA firmware updates to just the TS1? I couldn’t find the TS1 on your store, are you still selling them?

Thank you in advance!

There’s already a 4-pin male connector on the TS1 lower right hand corner which fits snug on the update cable female connector, is that used to connect the cable as opposed to on the 4 pin holes on the left?

An instructional video to update the TS1 would be beneficial as it’s not as straightforward as the control panel update.

The TS1 was listed as “unused” on the control panel prior to trying all these steps so I am afraid my 3rd TS1 is bricked once again. TS1’s firmware updates have always been problematic as the 4-pin connector sits loosely on the TS1’s pin holes and can easily disconnect while attempting to do something else (i.e., unplug power supply). Is there a new 4-pin connector that’s thicker to prevent this?

The firmware update process is very old school and not user friendly on GC2 and TS1, especially the older TS1s, I agree. There are no thicker pins for older TS1s, just a few things to consider to ensure the best chance at success:

1. The 2GIG GC2 Control panel and TS1 use different firmware files. If you flash the CP firmware file on the TS1 accidentally it will likely be bricked. The latest TS1 firmware is 1.16 (usable with 1.17 and 1.19 control panel firmware)

2. The slotted side of the cable must face up toward the top of the TS1. If it is reversed this can cause failure.

3. The cable should be propped in an angled fashion so that the metal pins are resting against the holes. Never try to hold the pins in place with your hand during the update. If it helps, you could use a small piece of tape to secure the cable to the TS1 case so that it doesn’t move.

How much do you charge for providing OTA firmware updates to just the TS1? I couldn’t find the TS1 on your store, are you still selling them?

OTA updates over cellular are a one time $10 charge currently. If you have broadband backup with the GoBridge OTA updates can be sent via broadband for free.

We do not currently stock the TS1. The latest units from other vendors should have 1.16 firmware already unless they are very old.

There’s already a 4-pin male connector on the TS1 lower right hand corner which fits snug on the update cable female connector, is that used to connect the cable as opposed to on the 4 pin holes on the left?

Yes, newer TS1s manufactured in the last few years got rid of the battery tray and do have firmware pins on the board, so you do not need the 4-pin connector for newer TS1s.

I re-learned all my sensors after the firmware issue described above but now some of the (motion and window) sensors are going off for no reason, are being bypassed, or are showing as being opened. I tested it with Arm Stay and Arm Away and the results are pretty much the same. I have received several calls from Central Station and need to get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid false alarms. I also ran a walk test but there was a delay receiving the commands and some sensors were not recognized by the control panel.

During the same walk test, I tested the glass break detectors with a tester but none of them seem to be working. The same with the motion sensors; only one of them showed a red light after testing. I see all the sensors are paired with the panel but am not really sure if they’re actually detecting anything.

If I have (for example) three window sensors in one area (i.e, three panels window) do I need to assign a different loop number for each sensor in order for them to work?

I ordered another TS1 but not knowing which firmware version is installed right out of the box, will I be able to get the latest OTA update with a Go!Bridge that was recently purchased as well
Neither one of the devices have been installed yet.

Hmm, I’m sorry to hear you are having issues. One big issue that is often encountered when learning in a full system of sensors that are already installed is interference from Motion Detectors.

It looks like all your motion detectors are zones 22-26. If you learned zones in order, or at least learned some doors and windows before the motions, it is very likely that the motion detectors threw off the process because they would trip when walking by. You can accidentally learn in the wrong TXID that way and instead of the Front Door zone listening to the Front Door sensor, it might be listening to the Front Motion Detector instead for example.

It is typically best to learn motion detectors in first for that reason. They can still be zones 22-26, just jump to those zones and learn in those sensors first so they don’t register (the panel will ignore signals from learned sensors when looking for others)

Your reported issues sound strange enough that this kind of error is likely, where some sensors may not be working as expected because the right sensor is not being listed to.

If I have (for example) three window sensors in one area (i.e, three panels window) do I need to assign a different loop number for each sensor in order for them to work?

No. Loop numbers determine what function of a sensor the panel listens to. In general sensors will have one function and you need to match the correct loop number.

DW10 door/window sensors are Loop 2 (for the internal reed switch)
2GIG Motion Detectors are Loop 1.
2GIG Glass Breaks are loop 1.

You cannot deviate from this or the sensor will not function properly.

I ordered another TS1 but not knowing which firmware version is installed right out of the box, will I be able to get the latest OTA update with a Go!Bridge that was recently purchased as well Neither one of the devices have been installed yet.

The TS1 would need to be connected to the Panel in order to send an OTA to the TS1. However, the latest version of TS1 is 1.16, and that has been the case for quite some time. Unless it is very old, the TS1 should have 1.16 out of the box.