Features outside OF ALARM.COM w/ 2GIG GC3

I purchased and installed a 2GIG GC3 system and subscribed to Alarm.com Basic Interactive-monitored. My question is do I really need to increase my monitoring program to Gold Interactive in order to integrate Zwave locks, lighting controls/scenes, remote controlled thermostat etc.? I know that most/all wifi thermostats have their own apps, I could get a WiFi/Bluetooth deadbolt (Kwikset Kevo), and there’s tons of WiFi enabled lighting controls. So beyond the advantage of using the Alarm.com Geo-location services to automatically lock my doors and set my thermostat, why pay the extra $5 a month if other companies/devices have their own apps without recurring monthly fees? I suppose beyond starting a dialogue about the value added services of Alarm.com (pros/cons), my main question is can I use the 2GIG panel as my Zwave controller without subscribing to Alarm.com for lighting scenes (for example)?

My main question is can I use the 2GIG panel as my Zwave controller without subscribing to Alarm.com for lighting scenes (for example)?

Yes. But rules/scenes will likely be limited to the local panel arming/alarm condition or status (e.g., lights on if panel alarms, set specific tstat temp if panel away/home), and there will be no remote access for any zwave device.

There also will be no time of day/sunrise/sunset based lighting scheduling, no sensor status scheduling (open/closed based rules), no remote lock control access, and no remote access/schedules for the zwave tstat is my understanding (and severe difficulty installing something like T2000). This is how it works for the GC2, perhaps the GC3 offers more local zwave rule/scene options though.

zwave sirens do not require empower add on, so if you use those, they will be unaffected.

You will also not have panel 2way voice, weather to panel/severe weather alerts, NEST tstat integration, no garage door automation. (*and no Image sensor capability- second gen PIR motion detectors with built in infared night vision still camara) Even though these are not zwave/empower, they are included in the higher tier ‘GOLD’ ADC package that also includes the zwave empower home automation- you cannot have one without the other.

*only applies to the GC2 as Image sensors are not compatible with the GC3.

can I use the 2GIG panel as my Zwave controller without subscribing to Alarm.com for lighting scenes (for example)?

Yes and no. The panel can of course be used for its local controls, the user has full control over adding devices, etc., but as a dedicated security system there are no free apps or such for remote control through the panel. It would only be local panel control.

Local control options are typically a fraction of ADC integration. ADC provides secure integration with your Alarm system itself and a single app for it all.

In general, keep in mind that the Door Locks, Lights, and Thermostats compatible with the system are Z-wave devices, not wifi/bluetooth. Wifi/bluetooth/zigbee devices would be independent of the system, barring the back-end integrated systems like Liftmaster MyQ Garage/Lutron Lighting/etc.

Thank you Riven and Jason…I’m somewhat surprised that ADC is the only way to remotely control the GC3…So far I really like the 2Gig GC3 panel and because of the flexibility of SuretyDIY I will likely go for the Gold when I add some more Z-wave devices (beyond the opeing sensors and motion detectors I have on my basic alarm system). Part of my question was to get a feel from these forum users whether or not people actually take advantage of all of the bells and whistles available thru ADC…My next purchase is likely a z-wave thermostat but I really want on that also provides humidity % but I don’t believe ADC has integrated that data yet.I also want to know what image motion detectors work with a GC3?

I really want on that also provides humidity % but I don’t believe ADC has integrated that data yet

This is a planned addition.

whether or not people actually take advantage of all of the bells and whistles available thru ADC

The majority of the benefit of these features is passive. Create automation rules and they run, which you can then pause, edit, adjust as you go. In my own case I use pretty much every feature, with daily interaction being largely arming/disarming.

I also want to know what image motion detectors work with a GC3?

No image sensor for the GC3 is available yet, though a GC3 model should be available in the near future.