Existing hardwired doorbell to trigger Zwave events

Is there any way to leave my cool looking led hardwired doorbell in place and somehow incorporate it into the 2gig system to trigger an event like lets say turn on the porch light when the hardwired doorbell is pressed…I was thinking to purchase the 2gig doorbell and wire it in series back where the current hardwired doorbell and transformer is located, that way when the existing doorbell button is pressed it will complete the circuit thus also activating the 2gig doorbell…

It’s possible but you’ll have to get creative. Instead of a 2GIG doorbell use a 2GIG-DW10-345 which has a wired input that you can connect to a normally closed contact. The problem is that doorbells are normally open contacts so you’ll need to reverse the polarity and make it normally closed. You can do that with a relay such as the Honeywell HRBSN.

http://www.honeywellpower.com/relays-hrbsn.html

Wire the HRBSN so it’s activated when the doorbell is pressed and then connect the 2GIG-DW10-345’s wired input to the normally closed (NC) output of the HRBSN. Program the sensor in your 2GIG panel as “loop 1” and make the sensor type “no response”. Make sure you have sensor activity monitoring turned on for that sensor in Alarm.com and now you can set up rules based on when the doorbell is pressed.

You’ll need to make sure that voltage and current required by the relay will work with your particular doorbell. If the HRBSN doesn’t you might have to find a different relay module but the concept would be the same. The HRBSN only draws 10mA which is pretty low so it’s a good choice.

Best Regards,
Ryan

So i’ave searched for the HRBSN and I couldn’t find any wiring directions for the device. However what I did find was an ELK-930 Doorbell and Telephone Ring Detector which looks like it will do exactly what I want it to do. It looks like it causes an open circuit when the door bell is pressed. My question is, would it work with the 2GIG-DW10-345?

The device can be found here http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-930-doorbell-and-telephone-ring-detector

I’m not sure where there would be wiring directions for your specific application, it depends on your doorbell. The HRBSN just activates a relay when it gets 12VDC or 24DVC on it’s input. You’d have to find a way to get that voltage out of the doorbell circuit. Actually you would also need an AC to DC converter to use the HRBSN since doorbell transformers are AC.

Using the open collector output of the ELK-930 you still have a normally open output so you’d need to reverse the polarity before wiring it to the 2GIG-DW10-345. You could use the ELK-930 to detect the ring, then use the open collector output of the ELK-930 and a DC power supply to switch power on for the HRBSN, then connect the normally closed output of the HRBSN to the 2GIG-DW10-345.

What voltage is your doorbell transformer? Does it show a voltage or model number on the label? If not, do you have a multimeter to measure it?

My doorbell transformer is 24 volts.I am thinking to wire in the HRBSN relay module without the ELK-930. Would you happen to know how to wire the HRBSN relay module to change the NO signal to a NC one?

Actually, I think using both the ELK-930 and the HRBSN together would be the easier solution. Then you can leave the doorbell and button wired up as is and just tap onto the existing wires without having to disconnect your existing 24VAC doorbell transformer. I think using the HRBSN by itself would require removing the existing 24VAC transformer from the equation and just using the doorbell button itself as a normally open contact. But then what would power the LED in the button?

Here’s an idea… How close is your 2GIG panel to the doorbell? The back of the 2GIG panel has 2 wired sensor inputs that can be programmed to be normally open inputs. If you can get a wire from the ELK-930 to the 2GIG control panel then you should be able to wire the open collector output of the ELK-930 to one of the wired sensor inputs of the 2GIG panel and program the panel so that sensor input is normally open. Then you just have to buy an ELK-930 but you don’t need an HRBSN or a 2GIG-DW10-345.

I recently installed the 2gig door bell and both my wife and neighbor absolutely hate it, so im left to figure out wiring of the existing doorbell. I’m using both Elk-930 and 960 products along with the 2gig-dw10-345 that’s hard wired. Needless to say I still cant get it to work. What I cant figure out is what triggers the DW10-345 in its hard wired state.

The wired contact on the DW10-345 operates as an NC (normally closed) sensor contact. So, the opening of a circuit trips the zone. It must be programmed into the panel separately as a zone if you are using the DW10-345 for its open-close reed switch as well.

Regardless, one thing to make sure of is that you have the DW10-345 programmed for the doorbell as Loop 1. Loop 1 indicates usage of the hardwired contacts. Loop 2 uses the built in reed switch magnetic contact.

Hi Surety folks - has there been any update to this since posting? I too wish to do something similar. In my case, all my cameras go to an internal recorder (synology) and I’m looking to add a doorbell camera to this - of course the only doorbell cameras out there are either alarm.com specific (not for me, need onvif) or are onvif with a trigger to normal doorbell, or are proprietary (i.e. Ring).

Is there any solution to give me 1) onvif feed of at least 1080 to my recorder, 2) have a doorbell that triggers the panel and ideally 3) runs hard wired POE? (3 is totally optional). My guess is the above solutions are still applicable, but I’m wondering if anyone has found a better moustrap to add a sensor to a standard doorbell.

Thanks

Is there any solution to give me 1) onvif feed of at least 1080 to my recorder, 2) have a doorbell that triggers the panel and ideally 3) runs hard wired POE? (3 is totally optional). My guess is the above solutions are still applicable, but I’m wondering if anyone has found a better moustrap to add a sensor to a standard doorbell.

Unfortunately we cannot provide detailed support for incompatible third party systems, and I’m not aware of any Video Doorbells to fit your specifications.

If the Video Doorbell actually activates a mechanical chime, you may be able to use the method described above to trigger the wired input of a sensor. You couldn’t do the same with a POE-only device.

Thanks Jason. I was afraid that was the case. I may just go with the adc trim - not sure I like the specs, but to keep things simple it may be worth the loss in fidelity and centralized storage for the one spot. Now investigating just going with a fisheye cam and separate doorbell as an option. The thing I’m trying to stay away from is having cameras visible around the front as to me it screams, something in there worth all that hardware! But those doorbells are becoming commonplace and people almost take them for granted.

Now investigating just going with a fisheye cam and separate doorbell as an option. The thing I’m trying to stay away from is having cameras visible around the front as to me it screams, something in there worth all that hardware! But those doorbells are becoming commonplace and people almost take them for granted.

A low profile outdoor dome camera with an IO recording trigger should definitely be easier to find. Lots of manufacturers make mini or low profile options (might be harder to find a fisheye specifically). It has been a little while since I have looked into them, but Geovision, Axis, and Vivotek come to mind.

Video doorbells are pretty commonplace at this point, yes. I think there was a lot of demand for it prior to wide availability.