Differences betwen Key Fob 2GIG-KEY2-345 vs. 2GIG-KEY1-345

Is there a difference between the 2GIG-KEY2-345 and the 2GIG-KEY1-345 key fobs? Are there programming differences or functions that the KEY2 model has over the KEY1 model? Is the difference just a newer production?

Thanks

It’s been a long time but if I remember correctly the 2GIG-KEY2-345 replaced the 2GIG-KEY1-345 and added support for the 2GIG-GDR1-345 garage door opener. Most people use Liftmaster MyQ Alarm.com integration now so unless you plan to use a 2GIG-GDR1-345 I don’t think there will be a difference.

Thanks for the reply Ryan… We do not plan on having/using the the garage door functionality with our panel. In programming the 2GIG-KEY1-345 fob I have into the panel, at the question Q: Select fob 1 equipment code - do I select equipment code as if it was a 2GIG-KEY2-345 even if I am using a 2GIG-KEY1-345 or must I use the choice of other? It would appear that it should not make a difference, but wanted to ask before attempting this programming step. Thanks again!

Selecting Key2 should be fine. Equipment code will affect additional questions in programming for that zone/fob/keypad.

Thank you for the feedback… I selected equipment code (0866) Key2-345 4-button despite what I have in hand are marked 2GIG-345, which I am believing are the Key1 remotes… I tried learn for the serial number and it does not learn the ID… So I next tried manual entry of the TX ID 7-digit code (0F7333E)… I suspect the leading digit is a “0” zero on the decal and box… don’t see a letter choice available, anyway after entering it, I go through the other fields and as it recaps what I have selected, I notice the serial field is is all zero’s. Two questions (1) the red light on the remote lights during the attempt to use learn, however it does not learn the TX ID - can it be the 345 receiver module in the panel is not working receiving the signal and (2) or what am I missing while entering the TX ID manually? Thanks!

Hold in the button keys to learn.

Hit logo at bottom right of screen
Enter installer code
System configuration
Select “go to”, enter (03) for Q3 keyfobs
Use right arrow, select empty fob #, then down arrow (then down arrow again after each section)
(01) Fob used/enabled
(0866) Key2
Learn serial (shift then learn, hold in button keys, then ‘ok’)
(0) new equip
Select emergency fob function:
(0) disabled; (1) auxilary alarm; (2) audible alarm; (3) silent panic; (4) fire
Select if fob can disarm:
(0) disabled; (1) enabled
Voice descriptor
Select arming no delay:
(0) disabled; (1) enabled
Select fob key 4 output: (disable unless using a garage door/GDR output)
(0)disabled; (1) toggle output; (2) momentary output
Next to program another fob, else
Skip
End
Exit

Hi Riven,
I get to the step of LEARN, Learn serial (shift then learn, hold in button keys, then ‘ok’)

I press the button on the remote FOB and the panel is not capturing the ID serial from the FOB. I have tried pressing on the fob one button at a time or both the arm-away and disarm on the top row together. FYI - I just now programmed a thin door sensor in the RF sensor question (1) using the learn function, and that worked just great! - that confirms the panels internal 345 receiver must be working inside the panel. Any other suggestions… I am holding the FOB atop of the panel, maybe too close? Got me…

Manual Entry: Type in the last 7 digits of the TX ID that is found outside of the box or on the back of the device

Hi Riven - I have tried the manual route using the the box decal and unit sticker ID, which are identical - the TX ID is 0F73275 for this FOB! There is another alpha-numeric number on the label that is DL 7532F7 but I do not see where the system has ability to accept the letter L.

I now wonder if the installed battery might be weak from just sitting around… it was bought online as “new” and came with its box, but no pull tab to release the batter, not sure if the fobs have that pull tab as part of them anyway. I will try the battery step next I guess. Do you know of another way to confirm if the fob is actually transmitting a signal?
Thanks!

The ID should be all numbers (7). If yours isn’t, then it most likely isn’t a 345mhz compatible 2GIG fob.

I think you hit it right on the head… the ID on this fob is not 7-numeric digits! (see image I attached) So, what is it compatible with if not 345Mhz… I assume I cannot use it with the panel?

Nope. That’s not gonna work with 2GIG.

Just guessing, but “DL” may be for an ATT Digital Life TXID

Thanks Riven… I will return it and ask for a replacement that has a 7 digit numeric TX ID… I am more than thankful for all your help… Things like this make the learning curve much greater, but you continue to help me and smooth the road out!

Make sure the TXID sticker itself actually says 2GIG on it (sticker on both the box and fob)

I’m not 100% sure that those are invalid TX IDs. TX IDs might be hexadecimal numbers, not decimal. When you’re manually entering the TX ID (serial number) on the 2GIG panel you can touch the “shift” key to see the A-F digits. Have you tried entering them manually that way?

That being said, I can’t specifically remember ever seeing a 2GIG part with a non-decimal digit in the TX ID. That’s not something I would keep track of though.

Can you send a pic of the front of the key fob? Does it even look like a 2GIG fob?

Also, it’s not uncommon for a sensor to work fine even though it wouldn’t learn in to the 2GIG panel. For some reason the learn feature isn’t 100% reliable.

Take a peak at the picture I uploaded above of the fob ID decal and the front of the box it came in - the decal does not indicate 2GIG but the box was imprinted on the front as being a 2GIG-KEY1 - 4-button remote. With this reply post is a picture of the front of the fob, 4-button indeed…

I initially tried the “shift” + “learn” method, pushing the button on the remote… when that failed (did nothing at all), I went back through and tried a manual entry of the TX ID… I manually entered the TX ID 7-digit code (0F7333E) using the shift to get to the alpha characters I needed - it took the manual entered code, next hit the down arrow to continue, but when I got to recap everything I selected, the display shows the TX ID as all zero’s “0000000” I think Riven has a valid point - what do you think?

Ryan and Riven - Take a peak at the picture I uploaded above of the fob ID decal and the front of the box it came in - the decal does not indicate 2GIG but the box was imprinted on the front as being a 2GIG-KEY1 - 4-button remote. With this reply post is a picture of the front of the fob, 4-button indeed…

I initially tried the “shift” + “learn” method, pushing the button on the remote… when that failed (did nothing at all), I went back through and tried a manual entry of the TX ID… I manually entered the TX ID 7-digit code (0F7333E) using the shift to get to the alpha characters I needed - it took the manual entered code, next hit the down arrow to continue, but when I got to recap everything I selected, the display shows the TX ID as all zero’s “0000000” I think Riven has a valid point - what do you think?

If the 2GIG panel won’t accept the A-F hex digits then I’d say it’s not going to work. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember hearing something years ago about 2GIG originally accepting the full range of hexadecimal digits in tx id serial numbers and then deciding not to because there were some issues with it they couldn’t resolve. That definitely looks like a 2GIG keyfob. If what I heard/remember is true then maybe you got an old prototype version of the 2GIG-KEY1 from before they cut support for hex digits?

Hello everyone…

Well, the new 2GIG-KEY2-345 FOB I ordered on 7/26 arrived in the mail today… and in less than the time it took to get it out of the package I had it programmed into my panel/system… Boy, it sure is nice when things are compatible! The new FOB has a TX ID sequence of ###-#### (all numeric - unlike the one I first posted looking for assistance with) and the panel learn command found it right away!

Thank you all for your help…